Shorty vs. Longtube? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Shorty vs. Longtube?

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times on many forums, however after doing a search I found nothing. I just want to know if what I read was true. Shorty is good for low/mid torque and LTs are good for high RPM power. Thoughts?

'91 Sport 5.0 HO - AOD - JBL Premium Sound w/ Kenwood eXcelon deck - Black Leather LX interior w/ Lux Light
- 17" Sport Edition Wheels wrapped in Michelin 225/50's - Custom Flowmaster exhaust - GT40 heads - Electric Fan - '92 Sport Bumper

Planned Mod's
-Cobra intake (upper/lower) / SC MAF/30#inj / Dual Exhaust/headers
-'99 CV/PI 4" Aluminum DS / MK8 Disc Rear/HS/LCA/11.5" Front Disc
-M5R2 5-Speed / 3.27 LS Diff / SC F/R seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
honestly it really all depends on the direction of the car you are going. so whats your plans?

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well, it's a DD and I just want it to perform as it SHOULD have from the factory. I've driven nothing but pre- '86 mustangs, so this is my first SFI powered vehicle. I was just curious whether or not what I read was true. I usually hear the preference is LT's but have seen shorty's on occasion. Anyone know the difference performance-wise? I know I'll have a tough time fitting shorty's (equal-length are out of the question on these cars obviously) and LT's usually have a tough time with fitment at the collector. Basically I just want something that is relatively easy on the wallet but has the performance gains I desire (best b4b)

'91 Sport 5.0 HO - AOD - JBL Premium Sound w/ Kenwood eXcelon deck - Black Leather LX interior w/ Lux Light
- 17" Sport Edition Wheels wrapped in Michelin 225/50's - Custom Flowmaster exhaust - GT40 heads - Electric Fan - '92 Sport Bumper

Planned Mod's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful_Knight View Post
Basically I just want something that is relatively easy on the wallet but has the performance gains I desire (best b4b)
You want longtubes then.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the input guys but I still have yet to find an answer to my original question:

Quote:
I just want to know if what I read was true. Shorty is good for low/mid torque and LTs are good for high RPM power. Thoughts?
Anyone? Also, is this true:

Quote:
I know I'll have a tough time fitting shorty's (equal-length are out of the question on these cars obviously)
because I've heard this to be true only part of the time:

Quote:
LT's usually have a tough time with fitment at the collector
^and the steering shaft.^

I NEED INFO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
You want longtubes then.
I can pick up BBK shorty's used for around $100 and I have only seen LT's for > $200, are the performance gains really worth double the price? Keep in mind that new shorty's are around $250-300 and LT's are in the realm of $350-500

Planned Mod's

Last edited by Dreadful_Knight; 10-10-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well if memory serves on the SC ported factory manifolds are the best bang for the buck, and after that there is no real gain to be had from headers alone. Though scavenging is not an issue on an SC so take it for what its worth.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Long-Tubes FTW whether it be low-speed torque, hi-speed power, and everything in between.

Shorties don't do much better than stock (sometimes they've been proven WORSE than stock).

Don't believe that "low rpm torque requires back pressure" because it's BS and has been proven incorrect over & over.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Long tubes hands down. Don't waste your money on shorties. Better mid range torque and high end horsepower. GM has some really good info on LTs

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Shorties are nothing more than engine bling.

-Matt
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well, sounds like the consensus is LT's. Does anyone have any dyno runs or any info to back up these statements? Not that I don't trust you guys here at TCCOA, you've never led me wrong, I just like to have some info to throw out when someone tries to debate with me.

One more question, what size primary/collector is an ideal combo for N/A 5.0 h/c/i for LT's?

Planned Mod's
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear Poster

There is so much that goes into the design of headers that the lines have essentially blurred these days, in the old days the shorter primary tubes usually built better mid range power than long tubes of similar size did. However, open up the long tubes to a larger pipe and they make much better power in all speed ranges. But it isn't just primary tube length that you have to deal with, don't forget the collectors, both length and diameter, and even the design of the innards of the collector as well. Do you add a subsonic diffuser or not? If so you effectively extend the length of the primary tubes, but still get the advantages of a longer collector.

... and what design header are you talking about when talking long tubes? a 4 to 1 header, or a tri-y design?

In the end on the street these days the difference isn't enough to worry about what design you choose, as long as you are going with a quality header design.

Quote:
Well, sounds like the consensus is LT's. Does anyone have any dyno runs or any info to back up these statements? Not that I don't trust you guys here at TCCOA, you've never led me wrong, I just like to have some info to throw out when someone tries to debate with me.

One more question, what size primary/collector is an ideal combo for N/A 5.0 h/c/i for LT's?
The problem with dyno runs is that you don't know what tune people are using on their engines to get the numbers. You can duplicate the parts build up, but if you don't tune the engine the same way it was on the dyno, you won't get the same numbers.

As to what primary tube size and length, and what collector size and length, that will vary depending on what the engine is going to be used for, and what displacement you are running, and how much airflow you are getting through the engine. For the most part a 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" tube about 31 inches in length, with a 3 inch collector that is about 6 inches long does quite well for the street on all but the smallest and largest engines, and for engines making less than about 450hp on the motor.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-11-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there is so much that goes into the design of headers that the lines have essentially blurred these days. in the old days, the shorter primary tubes usually built better mid range power, than long tubes of similar size did. however open up the long tubes to a larger pipe, and they make much better power in all speed ranges.

in the end on the street these days the difference isnt enough to worry about what design you choose, as long as you are going with a quality header design.
Quote:
as to what primary tube size and length, and what collector size and length, that will vary depending on what the engine is going to be used for, and what displacement you are running, and how much airflow you are getting through the engine. for the most part a 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 tube about 31 inches in length, with a 3 inch collector that is about 6 inches long does quite well for the street on all but the smallest and largest engines, and for engines making less than about 450hp on the motor.
Excellent info, sir!

Quote:
the problem with dyno runs is that you dont know what tune people are using on their engines to get the numbers. you can duplicate the parts build up, but if you dont tune the engine the same way it was on the dyno, you wont get the same numbers.
I was more asking for a comparison of shorty's to LT's. It shouldn't matter (to a degree) the mods done to the engine as long as it shows a significant difference (or not).

Planned Mod's
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
I was more asking for a comparison of shorty's to LT's. It shouldn't matter (to a degree) the mods done to the engine as long as it shows a significant difference (or not).
well in the end, it doesnt matter which you go with on the street, unless you are making more than about 350-400hp. it also matters if you are going to say autocross the car, or run solo ll in the scca. so for the street pick the ones that fit best and go with them. for street/track cars, go with the long tubes with a 1 5/8 primary pipe about 31 inches long and three inch collector about 6 inches long and run a subsonic diffuser in the collector.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful_Knight
Shorty vs. Longtube?
Long tubes are a waste on your stock 5.0..

Even if you upgraded to the GT40 Heads, and Intake set-up..That still wouldn't necessitate the need for long tubes..

Long tubes are great for set-ups that pump A Lot of air..Big cubes, Big Heads, Big Fat Intake Runners,Blowher..You get the idea..

Here's a Dyno Graph of a stock engined 91 Mustang 5.0 with an AOD transmission..
Shorty vs Long Tube Headers (1991 5.0 with AOD Stock).JPG

The Mustang has a slightly better exhaust which is probably worth a couple more ponies over your 91 Thunderbird 5.0 with an AOD transmission..

This should give you an idea how little you would gain going with long tubes on your engine..As well as the RPM, and Torque curve..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 07-16-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: update pic..
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Long-tubes are the performance header for any and every street car. The factory headers on your t-bird are especially restrictive compared to stock Mustang headers. Your initial post had it actually backwards, the longer the tubes, the lower in the rpm band they help. With headers, you are not just looking at flow numbers, but also scavenging, which can only happen within certain rpm ranges based on pipe length and diameter. The larger the diameter and the shorter the length, the higher in the rpm range they will create this scavenging effect. Think of an intake manifold and it will help you understand it. To make good low and mid-range power, most intakes will have long intake runners with a relatively small cross-section. I high-revving performance engine will have larger diameter and shorter intake runners. The same is true in the exhaust, longer primary tubes make mid-range power, and shorter ones make high rpm power. The problem is that for equal length shorties to create this scavenging effect would require revving the engine up to around 10K rpms or more, so unless you are running a formula 1 engine in your car, you want long-tubes. As far as what length and diameter primary tubes, there are a lot of factors that come into play including engine size, rpm, cam selection, collector style, etc, but for a street car, basically just go with what you can make fit, and in the case of our cars, the MAC 1-5/8 fox-body headers are about as close as you are going to get, so I would say get a set of those.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Long-tubes are the performance header for any and every street car. The factory headers on your t-bird are especially restrictive compared to stock Mustang headers. Your initial post had it actually backwards, the longer the tubes, the lower in the rpm band they help. With headers, you are not just looking at flow numbers, but also scavenging, which can only happen within certain rpm ranges based on pipe length and diameter. The larger the diameter and the shorter the length, the higher in the rpm range they will create this scavenging effect. Think of an intake manifold and it will help you understand it. To make good low and mid-range power, most intakes will have long intake runners with a relatively small cross-section. I high-revving performance engine will have larger diameter and shorter intake runners. The same is true in the exhaust, longer primary tubes make mid-range power, and shorter ones make high rpm power. The problem is that for equal length shorties to create this scavenging effect would require revving the engine up to around 10K rpms or more, so unless you are running a formula 1 engine in your car, you want long-tubes. As far as what length and diameter primary tubes, there are a lot of factors that come into play including engine size, rpm, cam selection, collector style, etc, but for a street car, basically just go with what you can make fit, and in the case of our cars, the MAC 1-5/8 fox-body headers are about as close as you are going to get, so I would say get a set of those.
yep. good post mike

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
yep. good post mike
x2 !!!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Bottom line: shorties are a complete waste of time and money, especially on these cars. With a mod motor in a tight engine compartment they don't even make good "bling" either.

Delete my account.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Long tubes are a waste on your stock 5.0..

Here's a Dyno Graph of a stock engined 91 Mustang 5.0 with an AOD transmission..

This should give you an idea how little you would gain going with long tubes on your engine..As well as the RPM, and Torque curve..

Rayo..
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again Rayo!

Quote:
Long-tubes are the performance header for any and every street car. The factory headers on your t-bird are especially restrictive compared to stock Mustang headers.
I know this much, so what do you suggest I do about my restrictive exhaust? I already have 2 1/2" dual from a '98 Mark VIII LSC (just waiting for a late model tank to show up) I just want something affordable, not a PITA to install and will flow better than my stock manifolds.

Quote:
Your initial post had it actually backwards, the longer the tubes, the lower in the rpm band they help. With headers, you are not just looking at flow numbers, but also scavenging, which can only happen within certain rpm ranges based on pipe length and diameter. The larger the diameter and the shorter the length, the higher in the rpm range they will create this scavenging effect. Think of an intake manifold and it will help you understand it. To make good low and mid-range power, most intakes will have long intake runners with a relatively small cross-section. I high-revving performance engine will have larger diameter and shorter intake runners. The same is true in the exhaust, longer primary tubes make mid-range power, and shorter ones make high rpm power. The problem is that for equal length shorties to create this scavenging effect would require revving the engine up to around 10K rpms or more, so unless you are running a formula 1 engine in your car, you want long-tubes. As far as what length and diameter primary tubes, there are a lot of factors that come into play including engine size, rpm, cam selection, collector style, etc, but for a street car, basically just go with what you can make fit, and in the case of our cars, the MAC 1-5/8 fox-body headers are about as close as you are going to get, so I would say get a set of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Bottom line: shorties are a complete waste of time and money, especially on these cars. With a mod motor in a tight engine compartment they don't even make good "bling" either.
I hope this info helps anyone looking to "upgrade"

Planned Mod's

Last edited by Dreadful_Knight; 10-11-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Link to more info
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Even the BBK link show that the net difference is basically zero, and that there may be more than just long v. short tube that is the cause.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
I would suggest this
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75182

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
actually rayo's post shows how effective longtube are, to the contrary of what he was trying to prove. Power went up pretty much EVERYWHERE (with the exception of a few sections). This could easily be attributed to non-optimal longtube sizes. That car would definitely be faster in the 1/4mi (and overall as well). We don't know what diameters/lengths were used. Not all longtubes are created equal.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro
We don't know what diameters/lengths were used.
MAC 1-5/8" long-tube headers with a 2-1/2" Collector...

I'll keep this short..

IMO..Long tubes are a waste on a stock engined 5.0 Daily Driver if all you gain is 7 hp, and a lighter wallet..

Anyways..It's up to the OP if he thinks it's worth it, or not..

Carry on..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 10-14-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling.. :-p
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
MAC 1-5/8" long-tube headers with a 2-1/2" primary..

I'll keep this short..

IMO..Long tubes are a waste on a stock engined 5.0 Daily Driver if all you gain is 7 hp, and a lighter wallet..

Carry on..

Rayo..
If we were talking about a stock 5.0 Mustang, then yes there would be better ways to spend your money on an otherwise completely stock car, but our cars are heavier, and our exhaust manifolds are extremely restrictive, and not only will you will gain more than 7hp with long-tubes, but you will gain power all throughout the usable rpm range. On a daily driven stock car, 7hp throughout the whole powerband is a much better mod than say an intake swap that gives you 20hp at 6000rpms and loses a few hp from 2500-4000. Also when you do start doing other things to the car, the headers are a necessary supporting mod, just like a built trans or rear. Without them, any subsequent engine mods will be less effective and make less power than they would with them.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:

I'll keep this short..

Carry on..

Rayo..
Quote:
If we were talking about a stock 5.0 Mustang, then yes there would be better ways to spend your money on an otherwise completely stock car, but our cars are heavier, and our exhaust manifolds are extremely restrictive, and not only will you will gain more than 7hp with long-tubes, but you will gain power all throughout the usable rpm range. On a daily driven stock car, 7hp throughout the whole powerband is a much better mod than say an intake swap that gives you 20hp at 6000rpms and loses a few hp from 2500-4000. Also when you do start doing other things to the car, the headers are a necessary supporting mod, just like a built trans or rear. Without them, any subsequent engine mods will be less effective and make less power than they would with them.
iagree with mikey, headers are a supporting modification that does magnify everything else. for example, on the old ford inline six, adding headers alone is not worth much in power gains, but when you add in a new cam, and a 3x1bbl carb setup, and bump the compression and ignition timing a bit, and suddenly that 85hp engine is makeing better than 130hp and they still run smoothly and get 25-30mpg.

these mod motors are rather well scienced out, so some mods are not going to make a lot of power gains by themselves.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:

I'll keep this short..

Carry on..

Rayo..
How can "1-5/8" headers have 2-1/2" PRIMARIES?!?!? See, you dont even know what you're talking about! . COLLECTORS!!!!!!!!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times on many forums, however after doing a search I found nothing. I just want to know if what I read was true. Shorty is good for low/mid torque and LTs are good for high RPM power. Thoughts?
The only time I think long tubes are "that big of a deal" is when they're equal length, otherwise, I wouldn't say there's THAT much of a difference.

Here's another perspective...

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Lets-Get-Technical.html
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLighteningThunder View Post
The only time I think long tubes are "that big of a deal" is when they're equal length, otherwise, I wouldn't say there's THAT much of a difference.

I've always thought this! Now, where TF do you get them?!

Planned Mod's
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
How can "1-5/8" headers have 2-1/2" PRIMARIES?!?!? See, you dont even know what you're talking about! . COLLECTORS!!!!!!!!
oops..

That's what I meant.."Take me drunk I'm home"..LOL

Rayo..

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've always thought this! Now, where TF do you get them?!
Check pm's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in