Need help and opinions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Need help and opinions

My car threw code p0430, I am hoping its not the cats. The car has all the original exhaust an 160,000 miles. I have searched a bit on here but need some guidance. The car runs fine, and hasnt popped the code back up after I reset it and about 50 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM
3rd Gear Poster

a quick bing search revealed these links;

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430

http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0430

http://www.obdii.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003186.html

hope that helps.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97t-bird View Post
My car threw code p0430, I am hoping its not the cats. The car has all the original exhaust an 160,000 miles. I have searched a bit on here but need some guidance. The car runs fine, and hasnt popped the code back up after I reset it and about 50 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks
Its not exactly the number of miles you drive - you need to drive under the right conditions for the PCM to run the Catalyst Monitor .. but yeah most of the time its a bad catalytic converter. I would switch your rear o2 sensors from side to side and see if it changes to a P0420 code .. if it does its your sensor, if it comes back as a P0430, you need a new cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

FWIW, my Mark VIII has 210,000 and as far as I know, has the original exhaust.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 AM
PostWhore

Here's my input, I threw that exact code numerous times. I replaced my rear O2's, but the code came back. So literally last week, I scored a Magnaflow cat system, had it put in by my local shop and code has not reappeared. Just my $.02
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Just for the record, that doesn't automatically mean the converter is bad. It means that bank 2 isn't outputting the right emissions. Could be a small exhaust leak triggering it. Could be a vacuum leak on bank 2. At the very worst, it's the converter. Don't replace it until you're 100% sure it's bad

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MN12Bird View Post
Just for the record, that doesn't automatically mean the converter is bad. It means that bank 2 isn't outputting the right emissions. Could be a small exhaust leak triggering it. Could be a vacuum leak on bank 2. At the very worst, it's the converter. Don't replace it until you're 100% sure it's bad
+1

Here is how the computer works with regards to O2 readings.

It compares the output from your upstream sensor to your downstream sensor.
There is a range that the signal difference should fall into. If that difference falls outside that programmed acceptable range, the light is triggered.

It's that simple. So as 96MN12Bird stated, the cause could be a lot of other reasons.
I replaced my two front cats when I suspected they were bad only to find it wasn't the problem.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:34 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96dirtybird View Post
Here's my input, I threw that exact code numerous times. I replaced my rear O2's, but the code came back. So literally last week, I scored a Magnaflow cat system, had it put in by my local shop and code has not reappeared. Just my $.02
Everyone is correct, to clarify for "me" specifically, my driver cat was definitely diagnosed bad. Hence why I ended up going the route I did.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MN12Bird View Post
Fords tend to have a really high margin differentiation in the monitor ( that compares the pre-cat sensor to the post-cat sensor ) for what they consider efficient. Oxygen sensors dont monitor emissions, they measure oxygen to determine the air/fuel ratio. The code could be set and the car may still "pass" on the the 5 gas analyzer.

If it were an exhaust leak it would have to be between the pre-cat sensor or the post cat sensor. An exhaust leak before the Pre-cat sensor could send a false lean signal resulting in fueling compensation. Same with the vacuum leak ( unless youre talking about the vacuum of the exhaust leak between the sensors ) .. a vacuum leak upstream of the Pre-cat o2 sensor that put the fuel trims out of range would result in a different code.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in