Removing cats and 02 simulators - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Removing cats and 02 simulators

Id like to get rid of the catalytic convertors on my 95 4.6 and run true duals. Since we have no emission laws here in Montana , I was thinking that I might get away with cutting the cats off and replacing them with straight pipe then using a set of 02 simulators to keep the computer happy.
I have already gutted the 3rd cat and put straight pipe in place of the resonator years ago and now suspecting the cats are clogging and the stock 02's are deffinately in need of replacement so if this will work out I will save myself a few hundred dollars.

Will this work on these cars and if so where can I find the correct 02 sims?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
̇

Garage
MIL Eliminators go on the rear..Not the front O2 Sensor Plugs..

Anyways your plan sounds doable..

Here's a link to buy the MIL Eliminators-->>MIL Eliminators

Here's another link if you decide to just make your own-->>DIY MIL Eliminators

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
3rd Gear Poster

front 02 sensors i would recommend changing but the computer uses them for fuel trims, as rayo pointed out, the eliminators go on the rear o2 sensors. still need the front ones. however, i have a 95 lx with a catless true dual exhaust and i've never got a CEL from it. I don't have a tune either.

case in point, go get them true duals, cel or not you'll love them! make certain though you or your exhaust shop remembers an H/X pipe or dual in/dual out resonator in the center or it will sound terrible. when I set up my true duals I completely forget that very important part of the puzzle and it took me until i did an oil change to figure out why my exhaust sounded so terrible. This is also why I no longer drink beer while I'm welding up an exhaust
Travis

Last edited by blue95lx; 01-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

So these MIL Eliminators just keep the CEL light from tripping after removing the rear 02 sensors? And going catless but replacing the front 02's will be okay with the computer?

Last edited by bagged95; 01-06-2014 at 11:34 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged95 View Post
So these MIL Eliminators just keep the CEL light from tripping after removing the rear 02 sensors? And going catless but replacing the front 02's will be okay with the computer?
That's the way it's supposed to work..

The MIL Eliminators make the computer think you still have cats..Definitely keep the front O2 sensors..Those are important..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

So I can remove all the cats, put a pair of new 02's up front, remove the rear 02's without any MIL Eliminators then finish with any exhaust setup I want and the computer wont be effected by this aside from throwing a CEL light? Or are the MIL's necessary for the car to run properly?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
PostWhore

Should be no CEL light, that is what the MIL eliminators are for.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
So I can remove all the cats, put a pair of new 02's up front, remove the rear 02's without any MIL Eliminators then finish with any exhaust setup I want and the computer wont be effected by this aside from throwing a CEL light? Or are the MIL's necessary for the car to run properly?
If you get proper MIL's then the light will stay off.

But I think your real question is if you just leave the rear ones unplugged and the CEL light stays on - will it effect anything else.

No, it won't effect the running of the car with the exception of that irritating light and the corresponding code being stored in the ECM (rear catalyst efficiency below threshold).

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 01-08-2014 at 06:27 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
If you get proper MIL's then the light will stay off.

But I think you're real question is if you just leave the rear ones unplugged and the CEL light stays on - will it effect anything else.

No, it won't effect the running of the car with the exception of that irritating light and the corresponding code being stored in the ECM (rear catalyst efficiency below threshold).
Netkeym you're correct. I dont even know that the bulb works anyway and I have an obd2 scanner so I can check it periodically. Thanks for the information guys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Netkeym you're correct. I dont even know that the bulb works anyway and I have an obd2 scanner so I can check it periodically. Thanks for the information guys
The Check engine light will turn on when you put your key into the Run position and turn off after you start it. But yeah .. removing your cats and leaving the rear o2's MAY set a check engine light .. depends on your driving style, conditions to run the catalyst efficiency monitor. The MIL eliminators will work - what the computer is looking for is a lower profile signal than what it recieves from the front o2's ( you need these for fuel trim ) on the rear o2's, Fords have a pretty high threshold for what they consider a "bad catalyst", thats why it has not set on certain vehicles. I have also heard about usng a spark plug non-fouler between the o2 sensor and the bung hole. Pulling the sensor slightly away from the exhaust flow will reduce a voltage change and create a similar waveform to a normal cat equipped vehicle.

If you think your cats are clogged .. you can put a pressure gauge in the front o2 sensor location and see how much back pressure you are running at - typical is very low, 1-2 psi .. any more than that and I would consider an exhaust restriction of some type. Although they usually dont go bad unless you had something that may cause damage to the catalyst such as over-fueling - bad PCM for example. What makes you suspect bad cats anyways ?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
I have also heard about usng a spark plug non-fouler between the o2 sensor and the bung hole. Pulling the sensor slightly away from the exhaust flow will reduce a voltage change and create a similar waveform to a normal cat equipped vehicle.

If you think your cats are clogged .. you can put a pressure gauge in the front o2 sensor location and see how much back pressure you are running at - typical is very low, 1-2 psi .. any more than that and I would consider an exhaust restriction of some type. Although they usually dont go bad unless you had something that may cause damage to the catalyst such as over-fueling - bad PCM for example. What makes you suspect bad cats anyways ?
The 18mm non fouler trick works great! I agree most people think they have clogged cats because they think they don't have the power they used to. Pressure test is the best way to make sure. On my 94, I had no cats and didn't even bother installing the rear o2s. I didn't even install bungs for them, lol. The chip took care of the mil
For me. Removing cats can make a cars exhaust look more smokey and smell more raw.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Hereabouts emissions now fails cars with the rear O2s shut off in the tune. There's not much choice now but to run cats or trick the PCM.

I noticed the same smokey/smelly effects Rob. My hair and clothes smell like exhaust for the day whenever I pull into the garage and exit the car immediately, I usually wait a minute after I shut off the engine to avoid it. The DOHC swap will be getting cats in the process because of it.

-Matt
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The 18mm non fouler trick works great! I agree most people think they have clogged cats because they think they don't have the power they used to. Pressure test is the best way to make sure. On my 94, I had no cats and didn't even bother installing the rear o2s. I didn't even install bungs for them, lol. The chip took care of the mil
For me. Removing cats can make a cars exhaust look more smokey and smell more raw.
I may use the non fouler on a 1996 Chevy Tahoe I picked up, has a P0430 code and it will pass emissions on the sniffer test, but the code still comes up. Hopefully it does the trick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in