Need your opinions... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Need your opinions...

So on my 97 I decided to chop my mufflers, a little before where the straight sections get smaller and bend to the mufflers, so basically my pipes point towards my tires. Now, I'm considering hollowing out the third cat (yae or nae?) And getting pipes that end with tips going straight to behind the tires, I love the way that looks on cars, should I or shouldnt I? Money is a huge factor as I'd probably only be able to buy the pipes/tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97BigCat View Post
Money is a huge factor as I'd probably only be able to buy the pipes/tips.
If money is a factor, sell your catalytic converter instead of gutting it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Can't sell them in my area to scrap yards, too many people were stealing them and selling the platinum, now you've gotta bring the whole car to sell the cats to them, huge pain. If you mean another way, how would I do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Leave the 3rd cat alone.

Post some pix of what you've got so far so we can see what you're talking about.

Can you be more specific than "Money is a huge factor ..."? How much do you have or are you willing to spend to do your exhaust?

What pipes & tips did you have in mind?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

imagine where the Y-pipe comes out to the mufflers, about halfway down the pipe before they bend to the mufflers its cut, and that's it. i don't really want to spend more than $40-50 on pipes and tips, as I only want two inch pipes going out to 2 1/2 inch miter cut tips. I'm assuming the missing third cat would mess with the sound a bit, how so? I want to get this done all in one day so I'm planning it out before anything is done. I'll be using exhaust clamps to put on the pipes since I need to be able to reattach my mufflers (Arizona smog is strict according to family)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97BigCat View Post
imagine where the Y-pipe comes out to the mufflers, about halfway down the pipe before they bend to the mufflers its cut, and that's it. i don't really want to spend more than $40-50 on pipes and tips, as I only want two inch pipes going out to 2 1/2 inch miter cut tips. I'm assuming the missing third cat would mess with the sound a bit, how so? I want to get this done all in one day so I'm planning it out before anything is done. I'll be using exhaust clamps to put on the pipes since I need to be able to reattach my mufflers (Arizona smog is strict according to family)
if money is a huge factor and 40-50 bux isn't much to work with, i hate to say this but I'll chime in first. Your best bet move would be to just leave it alone and not change anything.

if this is out of necessity such as the mufflers have rusted out, you can get everything you need to do what you want to do with the rear section at an autoparts store for probably near 40 bucks with tax if you can find some short cheap screw on tips. dont even bother with the 3rd cat.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Smog shouldn't be much of an issue, they forbid alterations to emmissions systems and that ends after the cats. Even CA allows cat-back alterations.

So again don't gut the 3rd cat! Even if you could, don't. Gutted cats are the equivelent of using bald tires as slicks and thinking you'll be faster.

-Matt
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Poster

http://youtu.be/v5m6rbBE-1s

If that link worked, what kind of exaust setup is that mark running TM?

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Linky no worky!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Is something burning?..

Garage
Agreed, the link bites. I would leave that cat alone, but the pipes idea doesn't seem bad.

-Jonathan
The DD:ECOBLEWST:2016 Mustang Ecoboost [email protected]
1995 Thunderbird LX
The "High Mileage Thrasher" 1997 JL 4.6 bird!

generated by sloganizer.net
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Veteran Poster

Stupid link. If you go to Youtube and search "Mark VIII vs Supercharged Thunderbird", it should be one of the first one it brings up. Its Robert P's Bird but I dont know who the Mark belongs to. The Mark credits the exhaust work to Trunk Monkey and it sounds awesome!

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Here we go!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Voice/Data Guru

That mark is Dan's on here, Can't think of his user name ,nice guy with two mark's . If I am not mistaken it has the Borla's on it.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Back to the original question about hollowing the 3rd cat...

When I had problems getting my Bird running good several years ago, I had two new quality Cats welded in where the 'pre-cats' are and hollowed out my 3rd.

Car has been fine since, runs great, no CEL and gets almost 30 MPG on the highway (there are other mods).

Of course, I don't have emissions testing where I live - might be something to consider if you do!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
That may very well betrue when the stock cats give up the ghost but in this case it sounds like it's being contemplated for noise and performance gains and that is not a good reason to hollow the third cat out. Neither goal will be accomplished(well it'll be louder but tone>volume, and gutted cat tone is awful) and emmissions will inevitably be even more difficult to pass.

-Matt
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Wow, this thread really blew up recently... Well, thanks to your guy's opinions, I'm going to leave the cats alone. I don't really plan on adding any new mufflers just the tips. nothing is for performance gains (exhaust isn't an area to spend money for major performance to me) mainly just the sound. I was doing some looking yesterday and the tips will be a little close to the tires for comfort, s there an easy way to undo the Y-pipe's bend where they split to the mufflers? I figure that Autozone has cheap SS pipes that come with tips which is all I need/want. the reason I don't really care about the exhaust's performance is because with a PI swap and 3.73TL, I won't need it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
That mark is Dan's on here, Can't think of his user name ,nice guy with two mark's . If I am not mistaken it has the Borla's on it.
Don Pfau?

OP, if you're looking for sound... check out the exhaust video/audio thread. Plenty of clips with the setup that produced those sounds listed.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Don Pfau?

OP, if you're looking for sound... check out the exhaust video/audio thread. Plenty of clips with the setup that produced those sounds listed.
Yes sir, But I believe that I am mistaken on them being Borla's much louder IMO .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hmm... All his signature says is it has 2-1/2 duals with a Magnaflow x-pipe resonator.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Are there any of the setup I want to do? It's hard to get past my school's firewall and videos take forever to load... I'll search really quick but I usually don't get much free computer time, my house needs internet badly...
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
As a school network admin, the "correct" term for what's keeping you from seeing all of the web is called the content filter.

Stock 4.6s with mufflers cut off? I believe there is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95LX4.6 View Post
Well here is mine I have two vids one is my stock exhaust with 3 cats and resinator with mufflers delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjaX..._order&list=UL
If you really can't see that, I'll download the .flv and convert it to an mpeg and host it on my server.

-Brandon

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
As a school network admin, the "correct" term for what's keeping you from seeing all of the web is called the content filter.
yep, trustwave webfilter haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in