resonator muffler gone! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
resonator muffler gone!

well, i had a wild hair and decided to make her louder.

wasnt too difficult, just a little rusty of course.

picked up the walker 41826 pipe off summit. i guess in 96 ford decided the car didnt need a resonator and replaced it with that bit of pipe, but the rest of the system is identical.

had to notch out the pipe on the resonator to get it off but i finally got her in their.

just anouther reason to get under your car every now and then... got out the cutoff wheel and rolled under their with the intention of cutting off the clamp for that resonator pipe.... and all i had to do was twist it with my fingers and it fell off

then i dropped this monster down and started cutting off the mufflers.

popped her back in, after i butchered the welding job... never said i was the best welder in the world, but after a half hour of grinding it looks ok

one thing i failed to realize... the factory mufflers actually drop the turn downs about an inch internally. the pipe comes in the back, and then comes out an inch lower... which leads to this

hopefully it doesn't melt the bumper skirt before i get a longer pipe hanger to drop the pipe a bit. their not touching, but its only about a half inch clearance...

otherwise its a lot lighter without those mufflers, so i don't think ill need the hangers that were attached to them. ill probably figure out something to attach them anyway, but it doesn't really move around a lot.

whole heck of a lot louder now, we will see what it sounds like out on the highway Monday i suppose. i do drive a lot of highway into and out of town, but i like it. not popping or pinging at least, but it dose droan a little.

that's what the radio is for though

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
I like that idea replacing the resonator with a straight pipe but I would at least use a flowmaster or some type of muffler.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
i might later on. i was actually planning on a full mandrel system, but at the moment i cant afford it, so this was cheep sound

95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It sounds fine without mufflers, and it's pretty subdued(though I had the resonator in tact with mine). Plus blowmasters aren't going to improve things much.

Don't worry too much about the tips, on my initial muffler delete they actually were resting on the bumper cover and they only warped it a tad after two years of daily driving.

-Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
that's good to hear. i just didn't want it to melt away or catch fire while i was rolling down the road

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
They might not improve but I do like the low rumble.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Poster

I took the exhaust off my 95 cat and out on 2.5" pipe from the manifolds to the end of the trans, then my homemade 2.5" x pipe n dumped at rear seat. Not too loud on the highway n i constantly get compliments on how it sounds or people wanting to race me
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
well, after i had to drop the whole pipe assembly again to weld back on 6" of pipe, i figured out how i was going to hang it all.

it was rattling quite a bit today, so i picked up two ROL rubber strap hangers. disconnected the rubber by the differential, and dropped down the whole pipe a bit. welded the strap hangers to the 2" clamps because i was worried they might twist out. and hung it up like this.

pay no attention to the rust hole behind the pipe!

otherwise i think it looks a lot better, and it doesn't make a sound when kicked anymore

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
well.... after driving her around for a week, i started to notice this really horrible farting noise around 2-3k at half throttle that was quite annoying. sounded like two fart-caned rice-burners going at it in an empty drum...

so the mufflers went back on today ill have to get some tips though, i liked the chrome look.

maybe later when i have some money ill get some magniflows, or something. or ill finally get that mandrel system before the whole thing gets discontinued like everything else for these old cars....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:16 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
that's good to hear. i just didn't want it to melt away or catch fire while i was rolling down the road
I have the muffler delete, but DO have the resonator and my tips are touching the bottom of the bumper... Setup was from a previous owner and I've had the car for over 3 years now and no melting has occurred as of yet.

Just my 2 cents.

(In US Dollars. of course. Adjusted for inflation it's probably less than 1 cent worth of information nowadays...)

GottaHaveHart

No. Nitrous is for fags. It's got cubic inches.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 AM
5th Gear Poster

I have some 05+ mustang mufflers on. They hang lower than OE tbird muffs but they sound great. I have no cats or resonator so it's plenty loud. Has a deep sound with no drone or farting. Chrome tips too.

http://youtu.be/pKzAzY-46ww

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
I have some 05+ mustang mufflers on. They hang lower than OE tbird muffs but they sound great. I have no cats or resonator so it's plenty loud. Has a deep sound with no drone or farting. Chrome tips too.

http://youtu.be/pKzAzY-46ww
Bill, your exhaust is my idol lol. The only mufflers that would sound better would be some Borla Stingers, but man they are pricey.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCONUT View Post
I like that idea replacing the resonator with a straight pipe but I would at least use a flowmaster or some type of muffler.
That's what I'm doing next week actually lol.... Mine came with a Flowmaster system but also with a resonator. IMO it just sounds like a muzzled beast that wants to get out. The sound itself is good, it's just too quiet for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in