Choosing the right muffler. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Choosing the right muffler.

Hey,
I have a stock 96 mercury cougar 4.6 and recently purchased the Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.5 inch tubing kit. Instead of using an X-pipe I plan on having my exhaust shop install an H-pipe. I am going to keep the front cats (due to rusted flange bolts) remove the third cat and install mufflers on the rear. I'm trying to go as cheap as I can here without it sounding bad. I've read about a lot of guys liking Magnaflows but they're are a bit expensive for me. I thought about getting Thrush Welded Mufflers because of the Flowmaster sound. I'm afraid glasspacks are going to be too crackly/poppy. Also I don't want it to be annoyingly loud but I want to show off the sound of the v8. I need some educated help here before I go spending money on something I wont like.

Thanks!

Last edited by Noah001; 11-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Dynomax Super Turbos, start out on the quiet side but do develop a nice rumble when you get on it.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah001 View Post
Hey,
I have a stock 96 mercury cougar 4.6 and recently purchased the Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.5 inch tubing kit. Instead of using an X-pipe I plan on having my exhaust shop install an H-pipe. I am going to keep the front cats (due to rusted flange bolts) remove the third cat and install mufflers on the rear. I'm trying to go as cheap as I can here without it sounding bad. I've read about a lot of guys liking Magnaflows but they're are a bit expensive for me. I thought about getting Thrush Welded Mufflers because of the Flowmaster sound. I'm afraid glasspacks are going to be too crackly/poppy. Also I don't want it to be annoyingly loud but I want to show off the sound of the v8. I need some educated help here before I go spending money on something I wont like.

Thanks!
Thrush welded mufflers will give you a very similar sound to the flowmaster 40 series. however it wont sound like a mustang because of how far back the mufflers mount.

I tried it, same set up, with an h pipe. sounds awful. what did work though and was darn close to that "flowmaster sound" you describe (which i read as "mustang sound") use the thrush but use the x pipe instead of the H. mellows the whole thing out and really helps with the raspiness. most exhaust shops can even make an x pipe for around the same amount of dough.

hope this helps.
Travis
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
This is with a 5.0 engine and a Y pipe vs. your plan of a 4.6L V8 and an H-pipe but i think my direct experience of glasspacks vs. flowmaster 40s may still be informative for you.

* I had a very short cherry bomb muffler (3" diameter, 13" OAL) on my exhaust and it was super harsh and too raspy for use on the track (>95db). It was definitely too loud for use on the road.

* The flowmaster 40, with its multiple chambers and baffles that redirect sound waves to cancel each other, really helped with the audio performance.

It looks like some of the thrush welded mufflers have a similar design so logic would dictate that the sound is probably similar.

See my thread for clips.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=145259

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone!

Sorry for the late reply.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do. I will most likely purchase the Thrush Welded Mufflers mostly because they're cheaper than most and I've looked at. As far as H vs X pipes I am a little undecided, blue95lx recommend the X-pipe. I am trying to match the "mustang sound" with flowmasters as much as possible but I've read that x pipes cause more raspiness which I don't much care for. What is everyone's opinion on the types of crossovers for these cars? Should I make my own or just buy a cheap one? If I do buy one which one should I choose?

Thanks again for the help!
Noah
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Poster

I've got the 2.5'' mandrel true dual exhaust on my 95 thunderbird .. It has the xpipe and thrush welded mufflers.. I love the way it sounds...

lowered 1.5'' with vogtlands,, tokico ''blues'' on all 4 corners... 28% mirror tinted windows,, P.I.Intake swapped,, S.C side skirts and rear bumper..
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 04:19 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I like my slp power flows, quiet while on the freeway. They don't make a lot of noise till around 3k, and I've never met anybody else with them.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah001 View Post
Thanks Everyone!

Sorry for the late reply.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do. I will most likely purchase the Thrush Welded Mufflers mostly because they're cheaper than most and I've looked at. As far as H vs X pipes I am a little undecided, blue95lx recommend the X-pipe. I am trying to match the "mustang sound" with flowmasters as much as possible but I've read that x pipes cause more raspiness which I don't much care for. What is everyone's opinion on the types of crossovers for these cars? Should I make my own or just buy a cheap one? If I do buy one which one should I choose?

Thanks again for the help!
Noah

due to the location of the mufflers (being near the tail pipes) you will not get a mustang sound regardless of what you do. You can however achieve a very nice tone. the raspiness doesn't really come from the x or h pipe as much as it does from where the mufflers are mounted.

my best suggestion if you really want to get close to this sound is a dual in dual out magnaflow (part number escapes me right now but many others have used it on this site) along with your thrush mufflers.

if you want to go on the cheaper route, an xpipe will have more success than the hpipe though
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
05-current Mustangs have the Mufflers in the back like these cars do, although pipe length and routing still effects overall tone as well.

Having said that, I like the sound of the single mid mound DI/DO mufflers on these cars.

-Matt
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:02 AM
PostWhore

I had single 3 inch cat back to 2 1/2 inch to two razor or raven mufflers, I removed the resonators and the drone drove me insane. I sounded like a 60-80 htz base note, bees in a bottle all the time and echoed inside the car. It was horrible. I don't know what caused it, but all the systems others have recommended sound good. Perhaps keep the resonators, I think that might have been part of my problem.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM
PostWhore

Slightly different muffler locations, but our '04 CVPI sounds great with no resonators or rear cats and stock mufflers. A nice cop car howl!

It does have an H-pipe, which is known to give nice low-end torque (it does!). An x-pipe is more for high RPM HP. Since you are stock, I would go for the H-pipe.

Don't get cheap mufflers, they will sound cheap.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The Dynomax Bullet's sound nice on my car. 2.5 inch duals w/ high flow cats & X.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Dynomax Bullet's are LOUD if that's a concern for the OP, they do sound good though.

-Matt
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:04 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
keep the stock exhaust and get QTP electric cutouts, then you can choose between quiet and obnoxious
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Been reading all the recommendations. Chasing too many gremlins right now (due to Bird sat in a friends back 40 for 3 years) so budget is tiny. So far, all I have done is gut the 3 cats. Will take the muffler to the exhaust shop to have a straight pipe made to fill the gap. That will leave only the resonators. Will come back to this post to find out what Noah001 used and what he thinks of the sound. Hopefully, mine won't sound like a giant air pump.....
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xquzzme View Post
Been reading all the recommendations. Chasing too many gremlins right now (due to Bird sat in a friends back 40 for 3 years) so budget is tiny. So far, all I have done is gut the 3 cats. Will take the muffler to the exhaust shop to have a straight pipe made to fill the gap. That will leave only the resonators. Will come back to this post to find out what Noah001 used and what he thinks of the sound. Hopefully, mine won't sound like a giant air pump.....
Did you read all the posts? Your cats, un-gutted, were worth ~$140.
If you can do the welding yourself or have a hookup, that money would have gone a long way towards redoing your exhaust.
-g

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:15 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Yeah... I know about the cats. No one within 100mi of here would touch them. Best I could do was cut them off, knock the stuffing out and have them welded back together. I have all the guts in a couple coffee cans, and if I can get to the recycling guy I know he'll buy the guts. That's what the recyclers are after anyway. This is a "socialite" area around here. They just buy stuff and pay someone to put it on. I can't afford that. Thanks though.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xquzzme View Post
Yeah... I know about the cats. No one within 100mi of here would touch them. Best I could do was cut them off, knock the stuffing out and have them welded back together. I have all the guts in a couple coffee cans, and if I can get to the recycling guy I know he'll buy the guts. That's what the recyclers are after anyway. This is a "socialite" area around here. They just buy stuff and pay someone to put it on. I can't afford that. Thanks though.
Socialites have nothing to do with it; if you are going to fall in love, you might as well fall in love with a rich girl.

Did you ever look on the internet? sellyourcatsdirect.com
I can tell you that mid last year, I got $140 for my 3 5.0 cats from this site (from my track car).

The price of platinum has dropped 15% since the beginning of the year so I'd HOPE "your guy" would give you $120; I'm willing to bet that he will give you less than half that though since you cannot analyze what you will get out of a cat if it's just so much powder (all cats have slightly different percentages of platinum/palladium/rhodium and all of the buying websites set their pricing based on the vehicle you pulled it from and their experience with the value of said cat).

-g

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:09 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Yes, I understand these things... However, no one would weld any pipe to the space the cats came from. Done the "clampit" stuff back in the '70s. The right cat was turning cherry red at the seams and caught the grass on fire underneath, had to go. Simply did what my budget would allow. The shops around here have either been busted for tampering, or most likely figure you will give up and buy their stuff. My budget doesn't allow that either. Appreciate your concern though.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:57 PM
PostWhore

Welcome to the Californians He!!. I went to Midas, when I tried t get my exhaust replaced from exhaust manifolds back. They quoted me something crazy over 1400, not including the exhaust from the cats back. They said only OEM cats can be changed out with OEM parts. I called 4-5 other places and this was the cheapest in san diego. I eventually went with cat back single 3 inch back to dual 2 0r 2.5 I don't remember exactly. The only muffler option I could afford was these ridiculously loud razor or raven mufflers for 650.00 total. The drown was horrid. I went back to get the stock resonator back on and they said another 250. I feel your pain. It is a stupid law, but the fines here include confiscation of car.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Hey S4gunn... I did get my $120 for my cat guts. plus $9 for the copper pulled out after doing the Big 3 deal. I used to work for the guy part time, so I know a little about the recycling stuff. While I was helping him out, I also got my hands on a '69 390 with only 73K on it.... just need something to put it in... Still waiting to hear what Noah001 used and what he thinks of the sound.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
PostWhore

Anyone know where the bumble bee in a bottle sound I am talking about comes from? It was deafening inside the car, and I dont want to repeat it.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

I got the drone on my 5.0 and 2.5 inch True Bendz exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers at the rear. My first attempt at exhaust design was free flowing but noisy. I opted for the xpipe without resonator. I'm hoping an xpipe with resonator will reduce the drone.

I just added shorty headers and it really changed the sound again. Maybe louder at idle and you can hear more individual sounds kind of like a drag car instead of a constant rumble. The headers might have reduced drone by narrowing the rpm range for the drone a tiny bit. Seems like I lost a little low end grunt with the headers but I read that is a myth. I hope to get the resonator/xpipe installed in the next six weeks and may report back. I can't afford to buy two new bigger mufflers and throw out my new Magnaflows. I still need some tips too.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

The cougar finally has a new sound. The setup I finally chose to use was the 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust kit, homemade x pipe and pypes M80's mufflers. I cut the third cat and left the stock forward cats. The car is not as loud as I expected with the glasspack type mufflers. The tone is really deep and doesn't drone at all. Ill have a video posted soon to show everyone.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L
Mods: Jmod, 2.5'' dual mandrel exhaust, x-pipe, pype M80's mufflers, air silencer delete.
Future mods: PI intake, head and cam swap.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few photos of the exhaust.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L
Mods: Jmod, 2.5'' dual mandrel exhaust, x-pipe, pype M80's mufflers, air silencer delete.
Future mods: PI intake, head and cam swap.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
05-current Mustangs have the Mufflers in the back like these cars do, although pipe length and routing still effects overall tone as well.
I have the mandrel exhaust, no cats and x pipe, and I put 05 mustang mufflers on it. Sounds awesome. Better than some mustangs. I posted the sound here if you search.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 05:11 AM
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

That looks really nice! I'd like to hear how that sounds. You did about the same setup I have been thinking of doing. I found an Xpipe that looks like it has similar bends to the 3rd cat. Wish I could could do the exhaust this year but I have so many other things to do first before it goes back on the road in spring.

Here is the Zpipe I was looking at. Since you know what your doing does this look about the right shape? I think its 2/14 off the downpipe...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-PIPE-2-25-...d012f3&vxp=mtr
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear Poster

The oem units are already "Hi Flow cats"....you won't change a thing by swapping. Here's a link to a "Real Test" that verifies....on a 700+ hp engine......no gain or loss of with or without the cats!

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...aust_tests.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in