buzzing like a loose heat shield but not? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
buzzing like a loose heat shield but not?

1995 T-Bird LX 4.6, 92,000 miles, garaged, original owner. Exhaust is factory original. At certain RPM's I hear a sound like a loose heat shield, but I can't find any bad welds or anything hitting the shields. So I took it to the local tranny guy here (who races on the local dirt track on the weekend) and happily he said, nope, not a tranny problem, something in the exhaust, and BTW, you have a very nice clean 20 year old car here, last of the Mohicans . What else besides heat shields causes this kind of noise? Hangers seem to be okay. Are there internal baffles in the factory muffler or resonators that fail after 20 years? The noise is a little embarrassing driving down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My 94 had some kind of ID tag that was spot welded on the driver's side cat that fell off and was jiggling around on top of the heat shield. My 97 did the same thing but I didn't spend time to isolate the issue before I replaced the exhaust pipes. I imagine it'd have be the same thing...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM

the cats themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:47 AM
3rd Gear Poster

X2 on bad catalytic converters. Mines have been rattling for years now as I took it to trans place and was told the same thing. My Navigator also did the same thing as I replaced them with Magnaflow cats and all was well again. My Navigator was the one that had bad performance behind the converters being bad but the Tbird feels fine just noisy until the cats heat up. I could also smell the honeycomb inside the cat burning for about two or three weeks after it first happened.

If you Fail to plan, then you plan to Fail!
I'll forever bleed Ford Blue

Drae
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:21 AM
PostWhore

X3 on cat cons.

By the time you get the noise, the cat is 90% empty and there is one piece that can't get out, and is bouncing around. Replacing the cat doesn't always eliminate the noise, sometimes there is a piece in the muffler.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Had the rattle issue on one car at exactly 1400 RPM. Loose heat shield on the Passenger side cat. Poorly placed spot welds allowed just enough of a gap to rattle cold and to rattle less once they were warm. In my case the cat substrate was fine. No other rattles. A long stainless band clamp from a diesel truck air intake wrapped around the heat shield and tightened up compressed the heat shield against the converter shell just enough to to stop the rattle without deforming the heat shield. My memory is that the spot welds are in a recessed channel in the heat shield and not conductive to being re welded. And as I recall the converter shell and the heatsheild are two different types of stainless. So trying to weld the relatively shiny heat shield to to the relatively scaly converter shell was just as likely to blow a hole through both.

If you can isolate it to the heat shield and it's a definite rattle at a specific RPM try a large band clamp. I'm talking the giant hose clamp style. Not the wide muffler clamp style. Any truck supply store or Napa should stock these. They are probably a bit big for AutoZone O'Riellys etc.

This might help someone. And depending on your heat shield it might take two.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
My 94 had some kind of ID tag that was spot welded on the driver's side cat that fell off and was jiggling around on top of the heat shield. My 97 did the same thing but I didn't spend time to isolate the issue before I replaced the exhaust pipes. I imagine it'd have be the same thing...
Mine too, one of the first "fixes" I made to my car was yanking that piece out with pliers

-Matt
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM
̇

Garage
Ever since I went back to the factory exhaust set-up on my truck..When ever I'm backing into a parking space, or going through a drive through..

The exhaust makes a weird vibrating/buzzing sound like there's too much back pressure now..It sounds like the whole exhaust system is shaking..

It only makes that noise when I'm just barely crawling along though..If I'm driving down the street it doesn't do it..

I haven't noticed any loss in hp either..

What are your guys thoughts??..Ever had this happen to you before??

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 PM

I just solved the same thing today. There was a part number tag welded to the resonator. It had come loose and was inside the resonator head shield. I slid it to one of the openings in the head shield and pulled it out with pliers.

Nick
97 LX 4.6 - stock
88 TC - not stock
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Boost!!!

I had that problem too but mine was the heat shield behind the brake rotor... I have also had the cat problem before as well. That is the reason the slut no longer has cats.

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM
PostWhore

The cat con rattle is the worst, sounds like the car is falling apart.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in