Exhausted.. - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By white lincoln
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Exhausted..

Need new exhaust .. Cat back . 96 3.8 thunderbird. What's the best deal? Single or duel ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Too bad you weren't closer, you could have my old one!

What are your plans for the car? How much money you want to spend?

With the 3.8, you'll never get that V8 sound so keep it toned down. I went with a Magnaflow DI/DO resonator and the mandrel bent pipes with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'm not sure if you are committed to replacing your cats but with the age of our cars, the cats are a good thing to consider replacing when you upgrade your exhaust. What works for you may be determined by the amount of emissions inspections you have to go through.
I went bigger than needed for my 5.0 (2-1/2" true dual mandrel bent with a large intake upgrade also) but you might do fine with new cats/high flow cats and standard pipes. I first tried true dual with no cats and the xpipe but it was too loud for daily driving even if it was free flowing. A second try with high flow cats and the Magnaflow dual in/dual out resonator quieted things down.

I bet you'd do well with a bigger than stock cat back system and new cats all around. The third cat being eliminated or replaced with a Magnaflow resonator. Probably be louder but more free flowing. Cheapest will be single exhaust after the third cat to save a muffler and some labor.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Cats were replaced 3-4 years ago. Want it quiet, dear ol dad told me you can get away with anything if you do it quietly! . Duel outlets would look good. Going to keep the car because I like it and it only has 85k on it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If your goal is dual outlets and keeping it quiet, I would say look for a stock SC system, and possibly delete the resonator behind the 3rd cat, as that is the most restrictive part of that exhaust system. Other than that, the 3.8NA isn't going to make enough power to need anything larger, the stock mufflers are great at keeping down the drone inherent in a V6, and the stock systems generally last much longer than the aftermarket ones since they are made of a low-grade stainless steel, which is much more durable than the aluminized steel that cheaper aftermarket setups use.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
If your goal is dual outlets and keeping it quiet, I would say look for a stock SC system, and possibly delete the resonator behind the 3rd cat, as that is the most restrictive part of that exhaust system. Other than that, the 3.8NA isn't going to make enough power to need anything larger, the stock mufflers are great at keeping down the drone inherent in a V6, and the stock systems generally last much longer than the aftermarket ones since they are made of a low-grade stainless steel, which is much more durable than the aluminized steel that cheaper aftermarket setups use.
That sounds like a good plan. Will see what I can find. Do I have to go to Ford for the stock system or will walker or NAPA or someone carry it in stainless.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
I meant get a used system off an SC, as it will probably still be in good shape.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 02:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

Related to Madmikey's comments would a rear half from a V8 model fit? I saved the front half of my stock exhaust but not the rear. It was pretty easy to remove and if only a little custom work is needed to remove the resonator and attach the old setup it would be pretty easy and cheap. I'm sure you can find some factory stainless exhaust setups in yards somewhere. My factory mufflers kept my .302 pretty quiet.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
I believe the back half will bolt right up, but I'm not 100% sure, but worst case it wouldn't be too hard for any exhaust shop to weld something up to mate them together.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:39 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
I found a complete, one piece OEM exhaust from a 95 Thunderbird at the yard and it fit with no issues, I just used a reducer to get the larger 4.6l exhaust to fit my 3.8l exhaust size. All of the mounts exist already on the 3.8l to mount the 4.6l exhaust to the car. Make sure to bring home the rubber mounts from the yard to use on the drivers side muffler.

I did this back on 2010 and the exhaust and mufflers are still working great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cougar Exhaust Swap.JPG (35.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010S2.JPG (118.4 KB, 1 views)
CDsDontBurn likes this.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 180k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - still going....
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - SOLD!
I've had too many other cars to mention...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:52 AM
PostWhore

Sounds like a good way to go, but with emissions laws, a lot of state's junkyards are required to remove the exhausts from all cars, at least the catalyst section.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I'm almost certain that only applies to the catalysts, mufflers/tubing are just metal scrap.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:21 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Sounds like a good way to go, but with emissions laws, a lot of state's junkyards are required to remove the exhausts from all cars, at least the catalyst section.

Al
You are correct. And this was from the CAT back, so it would not apply.

Though, as i recall, this junk yard did not remove the cats, but I do believe there are customers that do remove the cats for the money.

Not sure if I really ever noticed.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 180k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - still going....
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - SOLD!
I've had too many other cars to mention...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post

Al
Here in California, they remove the catalytic converter(s) from a vehicle. The rest of the exhaust system remains in place.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. May have a line on a sc being parted out. If I eliminate the resonator will I gain a drone with duels? Two mufflers should be better than one?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 12:40 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenHawk96 View Post
Thanks for all the help. May have a line on a sc being parted out. If I eliminate the resonator will I gain a drone with duels? Two mufflers should be better than one?
Research and experience have taught me, drone is caused by reflective style mufflers, i.e., Flowmaster 40. Mine are coming off asap, to be replaced by Magnaflow performance style. Had I been aware of what to expect, I would never have installed the Flowmasters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in