3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tbird Bob
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Replace 3rd cat with a muffler pros/cons? '96 4.6

Just letting everyone know, I did a forum search and I couldn't dig too much up on the subject.

Can you chime in with your opinions or experience?

I installed a new magnaflow cat y pipe assembly. Now I need new exhaust from the cats back.

I have the dual pipes from a mark 8 laying around; I am considering hacking off that 3rd cat and replacing it with a single in/ dual out type muffler amd connecting it to the mark 8's dual pipes. I obviously plan on hacking off the mark's stock muffler's and replacing them with exhaust tips.

Is there a real reason why this type of thing isn't commonly done?

I've only eyeballed the mark's pipes. They look like they should fit with out too much of a head ache. Has anyone used them on their bird before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:35 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandersen View Post
Just letting everyone know, I did a forum search and I couldn't dig too much up on the subject.

Can you chime in with your opinions or experience?

I installed a new magnaflow cat y pipe assembly. Now I need new exhaust from the cats back.

I have the dual pipes from a mark 8 laying around; I am considering hacking off that 3rd cat and replacing it with a single in/ dual out type muffler amd connecting it to the mark 8's dual pipes. I obviously plan on hacking off the mark's stock muffler's and replacing them with exhaust tips.

I've only eyeballed the mark's pipes. They look like they should fit with out too much of a head ache. Has anyone used them on their bird before?
Most of the time, replacing the single in/dual out Y pipe with a dual in/out center mount muffler/resonator or x pipe is what is done, to get more performance.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

I removed the 3rd cat, and the factory resonator. In their place I installed a Magnaflow resonator/xpipe, followed by mandrel bent exhaust with Flowmaster 40s. When funds are available, the Flowmasters will be replaced with Magnaflow performance style mufflers.
Woodman likes this.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
In terms of using a DIDO muffler in the center I'd actually say it is quite commonly used, or at least was among the club when custom bent was the only way to get duals. With the availability of the mandrel bent systems in recent years most just opt to use the rear muffler/X pipe layout they ship as. Personally I think mid mounted mufflers in general sound better than rear mounted, having that huge amount of extra pipe to resonate through after the muffler really deepens the tone.

As for the Mark VIII LSC dual pipes, that's not common to swap into these cars for a couple reasons, the pipe diameter is only 2", and they're relatively difficult to find and many aren't aware of their existence. As far as figment goes it may present an issue as well, while the basic path around the fuel tank is similar to your 96, the gen II tank is different and the angles are ever so slightly different, in fact I recall DLF had to modify the mandrel kit (designed for MN12s) to fit his Mark properly, same may be the case with the Mark pipes on your car... Unless you were to swap fuel tanks as well.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the quick replies. Im going to try and save the $220 and attempt to use the mark's pipe first. If it will fit, then I'll start muffler shopping.

This car hasn't been on the road in 10 years. Ive just recently begun melting charge cards buying parts to fix this thing. I was especially excited to hear that in IL they suspended the emissions testing for '96 cars.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. Im going to try and save the $220 and attempt to use the mark's pipe first. If it will fit, then I'll start muffler shopping.

This car hasn't been on the road in 10 years. Ive just recently begun melting charge cards buying parts to fix this thing. I was especially excited to hear that in IL they suspended the emissions testing for '96 cars.
I am of the opinion that my time is worth enough to me that doing a job twice isn't worth while. Instead of the very minor gain by swapping in a Mark VIII system, I'd rather save up and do a full swap myself unless you "need" to do the job immediately for the car to function.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 AM
PostWhore

Quote:

Instead of single in/dual out, why not have the y-pipe assembly modified to keep dual all the way?

And obviously, removing the MK VIII mufflers will make the car very loud.

I would get the 2.25" mandrel bent kit, and put mufflers at the rear, and add an H-pipe for a deeper sound and better low end torque.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I'd like to modify the y pipe assembly to go true duals; but as dumb as this is about to sound, it would take a lot more to fab something.

This particular Cat assembly branches off into a Y with a large inlet. (Haven't measured it yet, maybe 2 1/2")

I figured that with the distance needed to connect to those mark 8 pipes, a single in/ dual out muffler would work perfect.

The stock mark 8 mufflers will not fit because of the gas tank anyways. So those need to go.

If I don't go into work today, I'll work on this and take some pictures.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 AM
PostWhore

An exhaust shop could modify that, no problem. With what you are proposing, a trip to an exhaust shop is mandatory, unless you weld.

Nothing about 2 into 1, back into 2 screams horsepower increase. Unless you run at least a single 3" pipe back to dual pipes at the rear.

Al
Woodman likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in