Q: Looking for opinions on exhaust flange gaskets - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Looking for opinions on exhaust flange gaskets

All:
I'm putting my exhaust back on so I can rebuild the last section after my tbird track car got rear ended in our last lemons race.

For those of you unfamiliar with my car, it's a 95 tbird with a 5.0 and manual swap I use for lemons. A few years ago I built my exhaust system to be an homage to the Pagani Zonda AND remov

You can hear the system here:
http://forums.tccoa.com/8-engine-5-0...ggestions.html

See pics here:
http://tccoa.com/forums/101-exhaust/...my-review.html

Anyway, I need to rebuild the last section since it got a little crunched and I need to extend the quad tips because some of my drivers were complaining about the fumes when under caution (fair enough).

Here's my question: for the 3" to 3" flanges, I've been using the following ceramic/metallic gaskets between the flanges.
Summit G4749 Collector Gaskets Steel Core Laminate 3 Hole 3" Inside Dia Pair | eBay

The problem is that the gaskets keep disintegrating after exposure to heat (because racecar). After just two days on the track (granted, these are 8 hour days), the laminate stuff is coming off and the underlying matrix is still in place.
When I last pulled the exhaust off (4 track days, the gaskets just fell part).

The poor mans solution is that I can just put copper RTV on the current gaskets and bolt everything back together. The downside is that the next time I want to put gaskets on, I'll have to spend effort scraping/brushing the old RTV off. This is what I'd probably do at a racetrack but if I have the time to fix things correctly pre-race, I might as well do so.

Alternative to buying more gaskets that will just fall apart again:

1) Same stuff, just slightly cheaper - EPP Exhaust Gasket 3 Bolt 3" inch 77mm Fits Nissan RB25DET Elbow Downpipe R33 | eBay

2) ALUMINUM gaskets - 3" Aluminum Exhaust Gasket Collector Cat Back Joint Pipe 3 Hole w Fire Ring | eBay

3) Felpro 60083 (looks even cheaper than the summit gaskets but they ARE cheap)
http://www.autozone.com/1/products/2...pro-60083.html

4) Fancy COPPER gaskets - 3" Copper Header Exhaust Collector Gaskets Reusable SBC BBC 302 350 454 383 New | eBay

I use two of them right now so the plan is to buy 4 (two to use on the car, two as spares).

Q: What would you guys use in my situation? I'm leaning towards the copper gaskets from eBay (eBay is ideal because I have a few GCs I've bought for cheap).

Regards,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

On my cars I use RTV only, if you want an easier to clean solution Copper is the only way to go.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:28 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
On my cars I use RTV only, if you want an easier to clean solution Copper is the only way to go.
I'd go copper, since you have to have access; it's pricey, but can be reused forever.

The best way I've found to remove rtv is a steel wheel wire brush; you have to be really careful.

Especially with air tools.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 AM
PostWhore

Don't expect miracles with the copper. I used a Mr. Gasket 3-bolt copper gasket on the 3" exhaust dump cap I used to have on my turbo car. After using it a couple times, there was clearly carbon on it, indicating at least a small leak. Nothing audible though.

You would think it is soft, and conforms to the flanges, but it doesn't. I was concerned about stripping the bolts and didn't want to over-tighten. I guess if you really cranked it hard, the results would be a little better, but for me, I had to use the RTV with the copper anyway.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
...I was concerned about stripping the bolts and didn't want to over-tighten. I guess if you really cranked it hard, the results would be a little better, but for me, I had to use the RTV with the copper anyway.

Al
You have to tighten it enough to deform the copper.

If the bolts are too weak to compress copper slightly, they need replacing anyway.

For the next use, hammer it flat, hit it with a torch until it glows red hot, and use it again.

I've got a copper dirt bike head gasket that 30 years old, I can't count how many times it's been apart...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:30 PM

Have you considered switching to a doughnut. Napa number 31556 in their exhaust parts. Its made by Walker and I believe is also the walker number. It's graphite with a 3 inch id. Your flanges would have to bell a little bit and pinch the gasket between the the flanges. The graphite construction would compensate for irregularities and hold up to the temperature. Should be reusable. A second option would be the Napa 31703. This one will be similar to the a Toyota flange gasket. My choice would be the 31556, but it's not my project. As a side note, When my 67 Mustang was restored in 1985 we used the the doughnut and flared joint. I still have the car and the same gaskets in it today. The car was a daily driver and weekend racer through the 80's and just a daily driver through most of the 90's.

NapaMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in