1Likes
  • 1 Post By crzy4nos

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
wanting to swap exhaust manifolds

SO here it goes.
I have a 95 bird with a quad cam in it. I bought it not running several years ago from a scrap yard, and am now putting it back on the road hopefully.
I rebuilt the engine as it was locked up and now getting ready to put it back in but want better exhaust manifolds.
these are the ones that came on it, not sure what they are from.

I just don't like how small the inside diameter is and want more flow for future mods.
I picked up a set of 04 cobra manifolds but don't remember what the steering mods were I read about a year or so ago.... anyone wish to show me where the post is or knows how to do it please let me know.
I was thinking of buying a set of long tubes but don't know which ones are good to use in this application since I know I would have to mod the drivers side. I know I don't like the BBK because you have to remove the passenger side header to get the trans out.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Shane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The part number is too blurry to make out but that will tell you exactly what they're from. If I were to guess I'd say Lincoln Navigator.

There's more than one way to skin a cat with the steering shaft mod, this is the one Mark VIII to Cobra/Mach1 swappers usually do [FOR SALE] Mark VIII Cobra manifolds and Flaming river steering shaft relocation Package!! This eliminates the rag joint, effectively extends the pinion ends and uses a U joint to couple it to a modified stock shaft section. The 392bird setup also works, but you need more components, but it will also clear Mustang manifolds T Bird Steering Mod for Headers

I don't know of any headers that will let the trans come out installed, I have a pair of MACs I was going to use for my build and the bellhousing will not fit between them.

-Matt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks for the info.

I have the 04 Cobra manifolds but really want to put headers on. My experience with the Cobra and Mach-1 both tell me not to use the BBK just because I know I'll be taking the trans out to mod it and tune it and rebuild it.
You say the MAC's also have issues..I know on my Mach-1 with MAC's the trans came out no problem but you say the bellhousing wouldn't fit. I assume it's an automatic in your car as the ones I have had to work on were all standard, which would explain the bellhousing issues.

How much torque loss do you think there is between long tubes and the 04 cobra manifolds I have.
I mean it would have to be a lot or most likely I'll just mod the steering shaft and go with the cobra manifolds I have just to save on the cost, and ease of trans repair, although I am rebuilding it as well with Alto red eagle clutches and a Fairbanks valve body I am sure it will have to come out to be repaired soon.
Again, Thanks...
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Actually my car is TR3650 swapped, I had the headers mounted to my DOHC on a stand and used a junk T45 bellhousing to see, but the collectors were too narrow for the bellhousing to get between. It seems like you'd need to move the trans further back than chassis clearance would allow for it to be accomplishable, which may be less tight in an SN95

-Matt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
I was going to do a t56 swap but sold the t56 before I could start. The extra $$ helped me get off the fence and I figured since its going to be a daily driver and I may want my wife to drive it in traffic, So probably need to stick to the 4r70w, but I sure do love to drive a stick vs an auto.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in