stock exhaust sizes - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By theterminator93

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
stock exhaust sizes

I may get yelled at for asking instead of searching a little longer but after looking on my own i cant find the anwser to my questions: whats the diameter of the collector on the stock headers? What are the size are the pipes? Also if i keep the stock headers will i lose power/torque by going to a larger true dual with high flow cats and bullet mufflers? As stupid as it may seem for me to ask the last question, in my research i saw people had written about them losing power/torque after deleting the mufflers and such due to lack of back pressure. If someone could help it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 PM
2nd Gear Poster

First of all, what car are we talking about?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
1996 thunderbird with a 4.6. Sorry for not clarifying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The vehicle in question didn't get headers but log-style exhaust manifolds.

IIRC the pipes are 2" from the manifolds to the front Y-pipe, 2.25" from the Y pipe to the mufflers, and 2" again out of the mufflers.

Ugh, back pressure. Ignore all you read about it except for the part where it's bad. Ever try to drive a vehicle with clogged cats? THAT'S back pressure, and that's why it's bad.

Exhaust upgrades on stock or near-stock cars should be done tastefully as raw flow is not what will provide performance improvements, but rather improvements to scavenging. Scavenging is the process by which the pulsating (high pressure-low pressure pattern) flow of gases through the pipes draws exhaust out of the combustion chamber while the exhaust valve is open due to a low pressure at the valve. If you increase the pipe diameter, you slow down the overall speed of the exhaust gases flowing through the pipes and thereby decrease the scavenging effect at lower RPM when there isn't much air moving, and THAT's where the loss of torque at lower RPM comes from. At higher RPM the flow is less restrictive and the effects of scavenging are returned thereby giving a performance boost. It's got nothing to do with back pressure.

X-pipes and H-pipes allow scavenging to occur between the two sides of the engine in the exhaust stream which will help scavenging from one bank to another. Headers (mid-lengths or long-tubes) give the best scavenging within one bank of cylinders. Scavenging effects are limited with the stock cam profile due to the duration and timing of the exhaust valve events, but having a fantastic exhaust paves the way for more aggressive cams to work properly later on should they be installed.
Woodman, CDsDontBurn and Tbird Bob like this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 06-07-2016 at 05:59 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
The vehicle in question didn't get headers but log-style exhaust manifolds.

IIRC the pipes are 2" from the manifolds to the front Y-pipe, 2.25" from the Y pipe to the mufflers, and 2" again out of the mufflers.

Ugh, back pressure. Ignore all you read about it except for the part where it's bad. Ever try to drive a vehicle with clogged cats? THAT'S back pressure, and that's why it's bad.

Exhaust upgrades on stock or near-stock cars should be done tastefully as raw flow is not what will provide performance improvements, but rather improvements to scavenging. Scavenging is the process by which the pulsating (high pressure-low pressure pattern) flow of gases through the pipes draws exhaust out of the combustion chamber while the exhaust valve is open due to a low pressure at the valve. If you increase the pipe diameter, you slow down the overall speed of the exhaust gases flowing through the pipes and thereby decrease the scavenging effect at lower RPM when there isn't much air moving, and THAT's where the loss of torque at lower RPM comes from. At higher RPM the flow is less restrictive and the effects of scavenging are returned thereby giving a performance boost. It's got nothing to do with back pressure.

X-pipes and H-pipes allow scavenging to occur between the two sides of the engine in the exhaust stream which will help scavenging from one bank to another. Headers (mid-lengths or long-tubes) give the best scavenging within one bank of cylinders. Scavenging effects are limited with the stock cam profile due to the duration and timing of the exhaust valve events, but having a fantastic exhaust paves the way for more aggressive cams to work properly later on should they be installed.
Awesome, thank you for the info. Since my car is stock, what would be the best exhaust size? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2? And the exhaust i am planing would have an x pipe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Depends what your plans are and what your ultimate goals end up. Generally speaking the 2-1/2 dual setup from Trubendz is a good place to start, leaving you with plenty of room on the table down the road.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
I may get yelled at for asking instead of searching a little longer but after looking on my own i cant find the anwser to my questions: whats the diameter of the collector on the stock headers? What are the size are the pipes? Also if i keep the stock headers will i lose power/torque by going to a larger true dual with high flow cats and bullet mufflers? As stupid as it may seem for me to ask the last question, in my research i saw people had written about them losing power/torque after deleting the mufflers and such due to lack of back pressure. If someone could help it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Here is a very good essay on exhaust: Exhaust Function 101 - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat Exhaust Function 101

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:26 AM
PostWhore

I would get the 2 1/4" Trubend system, and add an H-pipe. More than big enough for a stock or slightly modified 4.6.

H-pipe will help low-end torque, and give the exhaust a deeper sound.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
I would get the 2 1/4" Trubend system, and add an H-pipe. More than big enough for a stock or slightly modified 4.6.

H-pipe will help low-end torque, and give the exhaust a deeper sound.

Al

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ugh, he lost credibility when he started spouting about less back pressure being bad.

-Brandon

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Ugh, he lost credibility when he started spouting about less back pressure being bad.
The value of the video is primarily in its explanation of scavenging, and the difference in the two types of hardware.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
It is .. cutting off your mufflers completely will make a noticeable difference in low end torque. If you unbolt the cat back portion of the exhaust and run it wide open after the resonator, you will feel a much greater lag off the line. I had a dual 2" exhaust setup at one point in time, when I installed a factory exhaust it was actually an improvement. So yes, less back pressure is bad.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM
PostWhore

Wow, I thought a true 2" dual system would be the best for a stock vehicle. That exact system (plus H-pipe) is factory on our CVPI, and it has excellent low end torque, but it is a 250 HP motor.

SCTBird1994: When you had the duals, was there an H-Pipe in there?

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

Consider this tidbit from the article I linked to:

*MYTH KILLER – “You need back pressure in an exhaust system”*
I’ve heard this several times over the years but it simply isn’t true. This theory probably started when someone lost an exhaust pipe at or near where it connected to a factory exhaust manifold and their engine ran worse without the exhaust system attached. A factory system is engineered to create a scavenging effect that is needed to maintain exhaust flow and pull the exhaust gases out of an engine. The above scenario wouldn’t happen on an engine equipped with tuned headers, which both explains what happened in the lost pipe story and why this doesn’t happen on a race car that has no exhaust system.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1135176

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in