Dual exhaust piping and cats - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Dual exhaust piping and cats

I purchased the TruBendz dual exhaust piping for cat-back and will be having it installed soon.

Looking under the car something that strikes me is that coming out of third cat it's a single out, which means it would be dual leading into third and single coming out....then dual again with TruBendz pipes (which has x-pipe).

Is the x-pipe meant to replace the third cat? If not, is there a way to have true dual and keep the third cat....or is the intention to ditch it for the true dual setup?

It runs 100% of the time 80% of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I believe the idea is to have the x pipe replace the 3rd cat. It will not affect emissions and would be counter-productive to keep the 3rd cat leading in to a single pipe then split back in to dual, which would just be recreating the stock exhaust setup.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That's what I figured, however, no shop wants to touch the third cat in fear of fines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
So cut it out of there before you bring the car into the shop.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
+1

It's illegal to remove an emissions device and big fines can be levied against the shop who does it. They're covering their ass.

-Matt
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Just need to shop around and find the drunk guy exhaust shop .. the 40 oz bottle on a shelf is a good indicator. He'll do it for cash, after hours
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Say I cut it out, wouldn't any shop worth a sh!t figure it out and refuse to work on it? Also, if I cut it out would I remove everything from 3rd cat back and bring it to a shop?

If anybody lives in Illinois and knows of a place let me know.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
A shop can be fined for removing a cat. If it was removed prior to the car's arrival, the shop is in the clear. Just cut the exhaust in front of the 3rd cat and drive it there like that. If you are really concerned about it though, they do make dual in/out high flow cats that you could install in its place.
mcm51 likes this.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
I purchased the TruBendz dual exhaust piping for cat-back and will be having it installed soon.

Looking under the car something that strikes me is that coming out of third cat it's a single out, which means it would be dual leading into third and single coming out....then dual again with TruBendz pipes (which has x-pipe).

Is the x-pipe meant to replace the third cat? If not, is there a way to have true dual and keep the third cat....or is the intention to ditch it for the true dual setup?
I don't see how you'll have room for this unless you at least remove the resonator, which may make your car too loud, but I don't know. I replaced my resonator with an x-pipe inside of a resonator. But, I was also able to remove the 3rd cat.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Say I cut it out, wouldn't any shop worth a sh!t figure it out and refuse to work on it? Also, if I cut it out would I remove everything from 3rd cat back and bring it to a shop?

If anybody lives in Illinois and knows of a place let me know.
It's out of their hands if that's what you bring them, they are fined if THEY remove it and put something incorrect in it's place, not if you brought them a car that simply needs an exhaust welded on. It's all technicalities, grey areas and wink winks.

Where in Illinois? That's vague as hell lol

-Matt
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
It's out of their hands if that's what you bring them, they are fined if THEY remove it and put something incorrect in it's place, not if you brought them a car that simply needs an exhaust welded on. It's all technicalities, grey areas and wink winks.

Where in Illinois? That's vague as hell lol
Ya, the shop I was going to use had already seen the car with everything intact, so if I showed up with everything suddenly gone I doubt they'd be ok with that.

Fortunately, I found another shop that's a father & son deal who say they'll do it. Granted he didn't speak the best English, so hopefully he understood me If all goes well, the bird will have the true duals with Thrush welded mufflers tomorrow morning.

I'm located in Yorkville btw

Last edited by lurch; 06-17-2016 at 11:50 PM.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Ya, the shop I was going to use had already seen the car with everything intact, so if I showed up with everything suddenly gone I doubt they'd be ok with that.

Fortunately, I found another shop that's a father & son deal who say they'll do it. Granted he didn't speak the best English, so hopefully he understood me If all goes well, the bird will have the true duals with Thrush welded mufflers tomorrow morning.

I'm located in Yorkville btw
Well not that it matters but If you're up front with them they aren't obligated to bat an eye, they probably wont have any personal objection to doing it, they're a business, they WANT business. What they don't want is to be handed a $10,000 fine after being being paid to lop off a catalytic converter for a customer who for all they know is inspecting their business practices. The letter of the law focuses directly on the alteration or removing of a federalized emissions device, they are under no requirement to restore one brought to them that's already altered.

For example, a much lighter scenario, if you take your car to a shop for whatever, say a tire rotation, and while it's in the air the mechanic looks it over for other wear items to replace to sell you on fixing or just preventative maintence, and finds that your rubber evap hoses are completely rotted out - these in terms of the letter of the law are equal to catalytic converters, since the are part of an emissions system - all they can do is inform you and ask if you'd like them to fix it or not, not refuse the tire rotation until you agree. They're not liable to what happens to the car outside their business, so whether you tell them your 3rd cat miraculously fell off somewhere on the highway between you're last meeting or were truthful in that you lopped it off yourself, they aren't obligated to repair it to federal spec.

-Matt
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Had everything installed today. It drones like mad around 1500 rpm and not acceptable. Also, I'm not sure if it's how the shop did it but seems like the pipes are too low.....not tucked in like they should be.

I have Thrush welded mufflers and the x-pipe. Wondering if the drone is from x-pipe, mufflers, or both. Seems like the x-pipe. I'm guessing either a dual in/out cat would fix that or maybe a muffler instead? Did some research here and sounds like replacing x-pipe with dual in/out magnaflow resonator would eliminate the drone. A quick Google looks like they're actually dual in/out mufflers not "resonators". I'm not expert but a true resonator would eliminate the sound frequency associated with the droning.

Here are the two magnaflow dual in/out mufflers I found. Are either of these what should replace x-pipe?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...FZWCaQodVqcCiQ

Magnaflow 12468 - Unfinished 2.50" inlet/outlet, 5" x 8" x 18" body Dual Inlet / Dual Outlet - Oval Muffler - Performance Mufflers

Last edited by lurch; 06-18-2016 at 10:22 PM.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
The mid-mounted will help reduce the drone, but it won't completely kill it. To get rid of it completely, you will need to ditch the welded mufflers for a set of chambered ones, but those typically don't flow as well.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:38 AM
5th Gear Poster

I think the drone is coming from the mufflers. I would be tempted to put on a pair of Magnaflow performance mufflers. When I got rid of my Flowmaster 40 and put on the Magnaflow type, the horrible drone was eliminated.

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

Replacing my xpipe with the magnaflow di/do muffler quieted the car down when it had dual magnaflow mufflers in the rear. It's louder than stock but is tolerable. Sounds really deep. But not like a factory tuned exhaust on a 5.0 mustang or anything.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
I think the drone is coming from the mufflers. I would be tempted to put on a pair of Magnaflow performance mufflers. When I got rid of my Flowmaster 40 and put on the Magnaflow type, the horrible drone was eliminated.
Do you have xpipe still, or did you replace that also to kill the drone?

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Do you have xpipe still, or did you replace that also to kill the drone?
Look at post 677 in the link for a pic of my magnaflow x-pipe resonator. http://forums.tccoa.com/101-exhaust/...ystems-23.html

I thought the above would tame the drone, but it did not. The problem is the mufflers. If the thrush weld style you have is similar to the flowmaster 40, you are going to have drone. It is simply the nature of a reflective style muffler, The magnaflow performance style absorbs the sound. Since you already have an x-pipe, in my opinion, you will have to change mufflers to either a chambered, (restrictive) style, though I wouldn't because it defeats the purpose of mandrel bent piping, etc, or an sound absorbing style, such as I have done.

Had I known the nature of the beast, I never would have put Flowmasters on to begin with, thus saving myself over $200 in parts and labor.

Last edited by Tbird Bob; 06-20-2016 at 12:39 AM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Look at post 677 in the link for a pic of my magnaflow x-pipe resonator. http://forums.tccoa.com/101-exhaust/...ystems-23.html

I thought the above would tame the drone, but it did not. The problem is the mufflers. If the thrush weld style you have is similar to the flowmaster 40, you are going to have drone. It is simply the nature of a reflective style muffler, The magnaflow performance style absorbs the sound. Since you already have an x-pipe, in my opinion, you will have to change mufflers to either a chambered, (restrictive) style, though I wouldn't because it defeats the purpose of mandrel bent piping, etc, or an sound absorbing style, such as I have done.

Had I known the nature of the beast, I never would have put Flowmasters on to begin with, thus saving myself over $200 in parts and labor.

So which magnaflows did you end up getting specifically. The funny part of all this is that I picked the Thrush welded because some on the board like the sound (and they were inexpensive). That and the shop I had planned on using the guy recommended the Flowmaster 40's which sounds like those should be avoided to.

There should be a sticky post about what mufflers to avoid, etc. to avoid drone....or there is and my ADD made me skip over it.

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
There is the Muffler Comparison Chart sticky, it does have some information there.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
So which magnaflows did you end up getting specifically. The funny part of all this is that I picked the Thrush welded because some on the board like the sound (and they were inexpensive). That and the shop I had planned on using the guy recommended the Flowmaster 40's which sounds like those should be avoided to.

There should be a sticky post about what mufflers to avoid, etc. to avoid drone....or there is and my ADD made me skip over it.
I don't know the brand, but this is what I'm talking about. FM1225S FLOWMONSTER Stainless Performance Muffler 2.25" O/C They are an inexpensive copy of Magnaflow performance mufflers.

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
At my shop we put a lot of FlowMonsters on in place of the FlowMasters.. people want to kill the drone from the last build...
FlowMonsters sound good and perform well on the dyno.
Tbird Bob likes this.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:25 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Go with turbo mufflers.

No drone and good sound.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post
Go with turbo mufflers.

No drone and good sound.
I've not heard a turbo muffler, but I do not doubt the sound is good. However, sound is only part of the whole package of a dual piping system. If one is interested in performance and sound, a turbo muffler, due to the circuitous path the exhaust gas travels, there is a restriction which causes slight loss of horse power and torque in comparison to a muffler wherein the gasses pass straight through.

To illustrate: imagine a garden hose with no restrictions. The water passes through as quickly as conditions allow, i.e., size of pipe, water pressure. Now, form the hose into the shape of a turbo muffler, and see if it takes a bit longer for the water to pass through to the end of the hose.

It is one thing to have a dual exhaust system that sounds good. Which is fine is that is your only goal. As for me, I wanted good sound, and peak performance.

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:30 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
a turbo muffler, due to the circuitous path the exhaust gas travels, there is a restriction which causes slight loss of horse power and torque in comparison to a muffler wherein the gasses pass straight through.
What you're describing is not a true turbo muffler. It may be a turbo muffler by name only.

A "true" turbo muffler is a straight thru design, as reducing backpressure to as close to zero as possible in a turbo car is the ultimate goal.

I believe a true turbo muffler would be too loud for a car that does not have a turbo in the exhaust path, which helps to quiet the exhaust a little. That is why a lot of people use chambered mufflers on V8's.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:03 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

It was an alternative for the drone of some other brands.

Buy what you want.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:41 AM
4th Gear Poster

ironically the third part for me is a silencer not a cat so it was a blessing
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:13 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
What you're describing is not a true turbo muffler. It may be a turbo muffler by name only.

A "true" turbo muffler is a straight thru design, as reducing backpressure to as close to zero as possible in a turbo car is the ultimate goal.

I believe a true turbo muffler would be too loud for a car that does not have a turbo in the exhaust path, which helps to quiet the exhaust a little. That is why a lot of people use chambered mufflers on V8's.

Al
I haven't seen a "true" turbo. But now I understand what you are talking about. What I said about a turbo muffler having an S-shaped exhaust path, as in the image below is a true statement. What you said about a "true turbo", straight through design is also true. We are just talking about different animals with the same name. Thanks for educating me as I learn more about exhaust systems.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12129199_tu...lers-work.html
"Turbo" mufflers may not be what you think they are; the name itself is somewhat deceptive, being more of a nickname derived from the design's original application than a descriptor of its construction. Call them what you want to -- turbo, glasspack or cherry bomb -- but no matter what they're called, you're talking about a design whose performance and signature sound have made it an enduring presence for longer than many hot-rodders have been alive.

The "Real" Turbo Muffler
Manufacturers can call their mufflers anything they want to -- Turbo, Cherry Bomb, Ultimate Titanium Reverse-Flow Carbuncle -- but the term "turbo muffler" actually hearkens back to the 1962 to 1969 Chevrolet Corsair. Chevy's "unsafe at any speed" sports car had a very unusual drive train layout: rear-engine, rear-drive and a horizontally opposed -- or "boxer" -- six-cylinder engine equipped with a turbocharger. This unusual package made for odd packaging, and Chevy had to engineer a very simple, straight-through muffler to fit into the confines of the Corsair's engine bay. This style of "turbo" -- shorthand for "turbocharged" Corvair -- muffler proved a very popular retrofit with muscle car enthusiasts, who loved it for its compact dimensions and excellent flow.

Turbo mufflers typically use a set of perforated tubes, which often guide the exhaust gasses through the muffler in an S-shaped pattern. Although this design is more restrictive than other styles, the S-design allows the gasses to travel through more tubing for better noise reduction. Ideal for street applications, some turbo-style mufflers also incorporate a sound deadening material, which is packed around the tubes for increased muffling.

Last edited by Tbird Bob; 06-21-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added image
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:16 PM
PostWhore

Yes, I have installed several different aftermarket exhausts on turbo cars, and none of them were called "turbo'.

That's kind of funny, it is okay to install a turbo muffler on an N/A car, but not on a turbo car!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
another alternative is to put a couple resonators in just after the X pipe..
something a lot of the newer performance cars are using is an X inside a muffler .. Dynomax makes one I have used a few times its called an "" Ultra Flo Welded X ""
http://www.dynomax.com/skin/frontend..._ufwx_main.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in