DIY exhaust premade to beat shop costs - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By S4gunn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

DIY exhaust premade to beat shop costs

In need of exhaust system soon and trying to beat shop cost and do it myself .
I Had a quote of 700 800$ for a stainless front to back that's from the manifolds to the back with either two mufflers at the rear or one below the drive shaft .
If I can get mandrel bent premade setup I'll clamp it on and bolt it up and just pay to have it welder after the fact.
I don't see where the rest of the pipe from the x crossover forward is included in these premade setups for 185$ on tru bends. How do I get the rest material and collectors to go right to the 4.6 manifolds everything from the exhaust manifolds to the rear . Seems there's a small portion piping that just has to be fabricated from the crossover to the manifolds if they're assuming people are using cats . I already have cat delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
https://www.supercoupeperformance.co...converters-141

95 Thunder Bird SC Auto Daily Driver Work in Progress, with every factory option original owner could check.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckhammond View Post
185 for the majority of the setup from Trubendz 199 for the pipes direct fit to the manifolds from scoupe performance plus 2 mufflers at rear about 70 each about 550 and I do labor ...
Vs 700 800 for all of it made welded up with mufflers all stainless. What's the better of the two routes is the question . Seems either way it's 600$ to do it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Find out if the local shop is going to use mandrel bent pipes. If they are, just let them do it for $800. If they aren’t, find out how much they would charge to install the pre-bent pipes from truebendz. I would charge about $250 at my shop to install the full exhaust if you provided all the pipes and mufflers, and if the exhaust downtube studs come out without breaking, so if they are similar, your best bet may be to buy the truebendz kit and have the shop weld it in.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I had a local member weld mine together, but I put it together with the intention of having a shop do it initially. I used various hose clamps, wood blocks to separate the pipes and ducting straps to hold it together as an assembly to take out most of the guess work that adds up the labor hours. Can't speak for the front half, I used something completely different, but they used to offer it, and they presumably still have the jigs on site, so I suggest contacting them to see if they can do it for you, I'm betting they'll have what you need, it just may take more time to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckhammond View Post
The greed of that place is astounding, and shop with a compression bender would make you those for 1/3rd the cost
KEVIN8989 likes this.

-Matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Find out if the local shop is going to use mandrel bent pipes. If they are, just let them do it for $800. If they aren’t, find out how much they would charge to install the pre-bent pipes from truebendz. I would charge about $250 at my shop to install the full exhaust if you provided all the pipes and mufflers, and if the exhaust downtube studs come out without breaking, so if they are similar, your best bet may be to buy the truebendz kit and have the shop weld it in.
This is my vote. Or, take the $250 and buy yourself a welder. I was able to get a used lincoln 120V setup for around that price.

-g
MaddMartigan likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

I bought my whole kit off scp. I installed it with the car on Jack, hung it enough to drive carefully and had a shop finish up the final welds and welded on hangers..was a dinky side shop but I perfected that for the job,charged me just under 100$ to finish it up. I was very happy with the sound and performance .
I used catless down tubes off stock manifolds ,h pipe ( I don't like the rasp of an x) and back to a set of thrush turbo mufflers, I had Borla and some kind of flowmasters but the drone was unbearable with those

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in