crossover pipe, exhaust tone question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

crossover pipe, exhaust tone question

I need some help on this gents. I've been (slowly) getting my 95 lx back onto the road after multiple long stays in either storage or my carport. A couple of years ago I had a local shop that is no longer in business redo my exhaust with true duals. However, the guy took me a little too seriously when i said True Duals and didn't install a crossover pipe of any sort. No X. No H. No resonator (like magnaflow or prochamber). Nothing. I get a horrendous amount of raspiness and popping, particularly when I let off the gas after I get into the rpms.

I was wondering first would installing a cross over pipe of any sort help reduce if not eliminate this awful sound? If so, which would do a better job h or x pipe? Or if not has anyone had any luck with fitment of the magnaflow 23343 catted y pipe on a 95 4.6l?

the set up is 2.25" piping from manifolds back, into what i assume to be chambered mufflers in the stock locations. no cats. no crossover/balancing pipes. Im not worried about power. No shops close to me will touch it because 1. the didn't do the work and 2. no cats. So I'm going to have to dust off the welding supplies and get this done myself.

Thanks for reading, and I really appreciate the help.
Travis

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 AM
5th Gear Poster

Two things: I don't believe a crossover pipe will eliminate your issue. However, I would still install one. I say this because of my experience with the system on my late '95, 4.6.

When the exhaust was completely stock, I had Flowmaster 40's installed. Overall I was very satisfied with the tone until I was driving in conditions, (i.e., climbing a grade at 2000 RPM), when the drone kicks in. Most of my driving was on level roads, but on those occasional trips through the mountains, the drone really bothered me.

I decided to install the Trubendz 2.25" mandrel bent piping, two high flow CATS, eliminated third CAT, and replaced the resonator with a Magnaflow combination X-pipe/resonator. It did absolutely nothing to eliminate droning. I finally gave up the flowmasters and replaced them with knock-off magnaflow performance style mufflers. Bye, bye drone, and all was perfect until the car was totaled.

Determine exactly what mufflers you have, and the characteristics of them. A change may help.

Also, consider this:what causes exhaust popping? : cars - reddit
[Search domain http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comment...aust_popping/] https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...haust_popping/
Popping in the exhaust can be from unburnt fuel re-igniting in the exhaust, but unfortunately, not to be that guy to correct someone or sound arrogant, but there can be multiple reasons for exhaust popping. Usually exhaust popping is actually from lack or lesser of back pressure when the throttle is closed.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.

Last edited by Tbird Bob; 04-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM
PostWhore

Garage
My car had a hacked together exhaust. Stock manifolds to stock size piping to a mid mount dual in/out Magnaflow with internal crossover (with 2.5" inlets and outlets, so there's a toothpaste tube's worth of weld on the inlets) and from the midmount back it's 2.5" with some chambered mufflers of an unknown type on the end. It sounds good overall, but everything forward of the midmount is now removed in anticipation of finally getting my motor all the way in. New exhaust is Kooks 1.75" primary, 3" collector headers, 3" to 2.5" neck, then 2.5" to the midmount, keeping everything else the way it is.

I had no drone at cruising speed (2000rpm to 2700rpm), but if I'm revving on it and let off, I do get some rice krispy style "Snap, Crackle, Pop" going on. My guess is it's as mentioned above, some unburned fuel that made it's way through the system. I don't worry about it as I'm not sitting at stoplights revving it up to get attention. And if I get a little popping after being hard on it, that's cool with me.

I can post some video of my exhaust in car as well as from exterior when I'm on my personal PC. Photobucket is blocked on my work computer.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu95lx View Post
I need some help on this gents. I've been (slowly) getting my 95 lx back onto the road after multiple long stays in either storage or my carport. A couple of years ago I had a local shop that is no longer in business redo my exhaust with true duals. However, the guy took me a little too seriously when i said True Duals and didn't install a crossover pipe of any sort. No X. No H. No resonator (like magnaflow or prochamber). Nothing. I get a horrendous amount of raspiness and popping, particularly when I let off the gas after I get into the rpms.

I was wondering first would installing a cross over pipe of any sort help reduce if not eliminate this awful sound? If so, which would do a better job h or x pipe? Or if not has anyone had any luck with fitment of the magnaflow 23343 catted y pipe on a 95 4.6l?

the set up is 2.25" piping from manifolds back, into what i assume to be chambered mufflers in the stock locations. no cats. no crossover/balancing pipes. Im not worried about power. No shops close to me will touch it because 1. the didn't do the work and 2. no cats. So I'm going to have to dust off the welding supplies and get this done myself.

Thanks for reading, and I really appreciate the help.
Travis
The cats exist to slow the flow of unburnt fuel through the exhaust system and to burn it there.
No cats is likely the culprit for your raspiness and popping.
The solution is obvious (get cats and weld them in).
One option if you don't trust your work is to remove the section, cut and mount the cat, tack it on, and then take the exhaust system (using another vehicle), to a guy to complete the welds.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I'd put in an x-pipe personally.

If you pull the ends of the pipe so they're past the rear bumper, there's a lot less drone.

Turndowns too early trap the sound under the car, and it drones.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies. The unburnt fuel does make sense. I ordered a set of 2.25 inch cats today. I have a limited amount of space to make everything work so I picked the shortest ones i could find. I also ordered a 2.25 x pipe. After some research on here and other websites that deal with the modular ford motor assembly it seems the x matches up best with its rpm range to smooth out exhaust tone. Now I know I want to remove the rear mounted mufflers. I have a very limited amount of space to work with after the x though so im going to save that for another time.

I think first Ill get the cats and x in and see where im at. I just have to get this thing sounding like it should. This car runs so well, this obnoxious sound does it an injustice.

Thanks again fellas. I appreciate the info and thoughts. And thanks for sharing your experiences.
Travis

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Let me point you in another direction. When you added the new exhaust, perhaps you allowed the engine to breathe better by decreasing backpressure. This in turn allows more air flow but you have not added any more fuel to the mixture from what I gather. This makes your engine run leaner thus the popping and backfire you hear now. Anytime you add airflow and do not compensate by adding more fuel you will be lean to some extent. To what extent will depend on how much more air you are flowing. That said, you should consider a tune up, either in the way of rejetting a carb or getting a tune to add more fuel through the injectors. You may be safe as you are, or you might be so lean as to cause yourself some big headaches. Good luck with the bird.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
My system uses the Magnaflow catted Y, cut behind the rearmost O2 sensors into 24" Cherry Bomb 2.25" high offset resonators into the 2.5" trubendz exhaust tubing kit with x-pipe. Sounds good, mellow and much more euro-esque v8 than the typical 2v sound. I figure this is partly because of the length of the resonators and the fact they are located BEFORE the xpipe. picking it up from a friend's place tomorrow. I'll see if I can't get a sound clip for you.

1995 Thunderbird LX - 130,000 miles. Purchased for $350 from the bad side of town.
2015 Fiesta SE - 24000 miles. Purchased after my Trailblazer set itself ablaze...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

lambda meter reads ~13.5/1 ratio regularly. 190 lph fuel pump w new sock in a new sending unit. plugs wires coils, fuel filter. no codes. could be more rich of a mix but better than stock which was like 14.5/1. i know im not lean. this car sounds just like a pick up truck with glasspacks or a newer (2005+ mustang) without cats. Thats the best way i can describe the sound of it. I put away the cats and xpipe i got. I'm going to order the 2.25 inch trubendz tubing kit and then ill measure how much space i have between the x and the tubing kit to install a dual in dual out muffler or 2 short bullet mufflers. The mufflers in the back gotta go. I found a local shop finaly that will weld everything together if i get everything mounted. He can't do it for me until mid May so i have time to gather up the parts that I want.

combatspace, how did that magnaflow y pipe fit on your car? i've only read horror stories about fitment so i haven't given it much thought.

thanks again
Travis

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
What changed your mix?

Do you have a tune?

It doesn't change by itself; I'd start there.

Likely, it's the Maf.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
What changed your mix?

Do you have a tune?

It doesn't change by itself; I'd start there.

Likely, it's the Maf.
No I do not have a tune. I hope its just the Maf. I've read it could also be the egr valve, and if its that I'll just leave it rich and drive down to zex by the airport and pick up a v8 efi kit lol.

I really do appreciate your help and ideas. I've been fortunate enough to land a job that allows me to use the company vehicle and gas card for personal use so its allowed me this luxury to finally get the bird back up and running. And the time to do it right. this exhaust thing is a bit annoying though.

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in