Pre-bend mandrel true duals - TCCoA Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Pre-bend mandrel true duals

my 3rd cat on my 97 tbird with 4.6 is rattling. im thinking about getting the pre bent 2.25inch true duel exhaust set up on ebay and run a H pipe with it. not sure about mufflers yet. has anyone tried out that pre bend true duel exhaust set up by trubendz? is it any good? worth the money or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I recommend these guys. Several of us have bought pipes from them. I'm running their pipes on my car now.

See this thread for details.

https://forums.tccoa.com/101-exhaust...t-systems.html

There's a lot of info on Mufflers in this Forum. Check the threads stuck at the top.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I have a set on the tbird; they sound great.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

what did you guys run for mufflers?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtavares0701 View Post
Magnaflow performance style. Stay away from Flowmasters unless you like drone.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Kind of slapped together

The Trubendz set is on my list for Ruby as I'm rebuilding her.

I'm interested in muffler choices also; but my idea is that, if I don't know, I'll start with the cheapest and just clamp them on.

Don't like them? Sell'em used and step up until I find one I like.

Tastes are subjective - XR7-4.6's ideal muffler may suck to Grog6, whose ideal sucks to Wile E. Coyote, and I may think the whole bunch of you have been snorting E85 too much!

RwP
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Fuelly
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
I always get the el cheapos the muffler shop sells me for $25, lol.

The 2.5" ones are a bitch to fit in the 'tunnel', the 2.125" are a bit easier, according to my guys.

The 2.5" ones are twice as loud, with the same cheap mufflers, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Mufflers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B2ACC5D4-65C4-40A1-A716-BE249C62D8CA.jpeg (2.15 MB, 5 views)

-Matt
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
BORLA PRO XS Mufflers. 2.5" - Center IN/ Offset Out
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtavares0701 View Post
I have Flowmaster 40s, they sound great, like an actual muscle car. I hate the glug-glug-glug water sound that I hear from many newer Mustangs with aftermarket cat-back systems.

But mufflers are only half the battle. The first thing I did in terms of exhaust was switch to JBA shorty headers (California compliance, not a lot of choice there). The sound was night and day after the switch, even though the rest of the exhaust was the garbage stock stuff. I've read that some on here switch to full-length headers and/or no cats/X-pipe or whatever, which is fine if your home state doesn't care. I'm just saying that the sound can change a lot with even shorty headers and stock mufflers/Y-pipe.

My view is if your plans include headers, do those first, then figure out how much more "sound" you want out of aftermarket mufflers because settling on mufflers first and thinking you nailed the sound might not last once you swap out the exhaust manifolds for headers.

"When I've had a chance to consult my physician about the possible side effects of Spectavere? Side effects which include dry mouth and diarrhea, wet mouth and constipation, butt sneezing, hysterical deafness, unwelcomed night running, dusty semen..."

- Megan Fox as Reagan in "New Girl"
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Dynomax Super Turbos here. There's drone around 1800-2000... I've been thinking about having a resonator X put in, in place of the Magnaflow X it came with.

Old video for sound:

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Dynomax Super Turbos here.
Same here, I have a Magnaflow resonator also to kill the angry bees from the V6!

Joe
quickford likes this.

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Dynomax Super Turbos here. There's drone around 1800-2000... I've been thinking about having a resonator X put in, in place of the Magnaflow X it came with.

Old video for sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPSqelsLS6I
I thought the Mangaflow resonator X would kill the drone from my Flowmaster 40's. Nope, not at all. The style of muffler used creates the drone. After installing the Magnaflow performance style mufflers, no more drone, just a pleasant tone when getting on it.
There are several youtube videos comparing muffler sounds on different vehicles.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Interesting, I'll have to look into that. At some point in the next eternity I'll have my headers installed and can talk to the shop about it their experiences then.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Garage
My exhaust guys told me that having a turndown too close to the rear bumper is what causes the drone; the one on the tbird doesn't drone at all, but the one on lazarus does.

There's maybe 3" of difference where it comes out.

If that's true, Matt's setup shouldn't have any drone at all, as it doesn't turn down, lol.

Any drone on that setup, dude?

I put mufflers on, even if they're ineffective, as the local cops will look to see if there are mufflers if they think you're loud, and no mufflers is an easy ticket.
They don't have to have a sound meter in that case.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I've used Mandrel Bent Exhaust on 5 different builds My favorite sounding builds are with the dual in dual out muffler were the 3rd cat resided. With a mild built 4.6 with stock manifolds sounded the best, IMO.
Read ya later, Nick
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 AM
PostWhore

Don't buy the cheap muffler shop mufflers. We had one rust out in a year - the hanger detached from the muffler body. The materials are paper thin.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

nick when you say duel in duel out muffler where the 3rd cat was, are you referring to running a true duel set up with that duel muffler in place of 3rd cat and no mufflers out back?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:09 PM
PostWhore

Garage
My car has a wide variety of different pipe sizes cobbled together between 2.25 and 2.5" from the manifolds back with a midmount dual in-out Magnaflow resonator with integral crossover along with some simple glasspacks at the tip exiting straight out the back.

Sounds great. No drone at any point in the typical driving rev ranges (2000-2800rpm), has a nice mellow burble and screams like an angry animal at WOT and higher than 3K rpm.

I plan to fix the random collection of pipes with a full 2.5" header back setup once the engine is back in, and I'll update with video when I get home, but my car sounds great to me, no drone, conversation is easy at highway speeds, can hear the radio just fine, etc.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:20 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Yes sir, like a Dynomax Ultra-Flo X 17553, I believe that the 2.5 inch. Magna Flow 11385 has a nice 2.25 inch

Reda ya later, Nick
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampagingsloth View Post
I have Flowmaster 40s, they sound great, like an actual muscle car. I hate the glug-glug-glug water sound that I hear from many newer Mustangs with aftermarket cat-back systems.

But mufflers are only half the battle. The first thing I did in terms of exhaust was switch to JBA shorty headers (California compliance, not a lot of choice there). The sound was night and day after the switch, even though the rest of the exhaust was the garbage stock stuff. I've read that some on here switch to full-length headers and/or no cats/X-pipe or whatever, which is fine if your home state doesn't care. I'm just saying that the sound can change a lot with even shorty headers and stock mufflers/Y-pipe.

My view is if your plans include headers, do those first, then figure out how much more "sound" you want out of aftermarket mufflers because settling on mufflers first and thinking you nailed the sound might not last once you swap out the exhaust manifolds for headers.
You're in LA, right? I'm about 2hrs east of you.

Anyway, my plan (later down the line) is to just get a set of OEM exhaust manifolds and have them ported instead of getting a set of shorties. My understanding from reading various threads here is that ported OEM manifolds give you better HP than shorty headers. Being in California and all, I'd like my engine to be as "sleeper" as possible. Having ported out OEM manifolds will achieve that objective while also gaining more HP .

As for me, I replaced my two primary CATs a few years ago after one of them went bad with Magnaflow High Flow units (CA legal, of course). Even with that little repair / upgrade / mod and the rest of the exhaust system being OEM, it gave it a little bit of "glug glug glug" tone at lower RPMs. I can't wait for the day that I get a full catback system in place. Oh, and I'll be doing an X-Pipe with a set of secondary CATs immediately behind the CAT as my smog guy said that's perfectly CA legal if replacing the stock Y-CAT-pipe.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
You're in LA, right? I'm about 2hrs east of you.
Ya, Los Angeles. People may bitch and moan about smog laws but I grew up here when there were smog alerts and days (not many, but there were some) where we kids were told to either not go to school at all or not have recess. Do you understand? So damn smoggy that running around for 10 minutes could screw up your whole day (that irritating cough that won't stop for hours as much as you try to hold it in). There were days when I could go outside and convince myself I lived in Kansas because I couldn't see any of the local mountains (I live in the San Fernando Valley so there are mountains viewable in every direction) through the haze. I will take the regulations over that garbage any day. And today, with smog regs, we have stock pony cars putting out 500, 600, 700+ HP. I'm not going to cry about a few cats on my exhaust. This is one of those instances where "the greater good" is actually true.

Sorry, I'm a gearhead and HATE Ralph Nader for what he did to muscle cars (blame the car, not the untrained driver, ruin performance and raise insurance) but I'm in agreement with you can generate power while polluting less. I've lived it, it works.

Quote:
Anyway, my plan (later down the line) is to just get a set of OEM exhaust manifolds and have them ported instead of getting a set of shorties. My understanding from reading various threads here is that ported OEM manifolds give you better HP than shorty headers. Being in California and all, I'd like my engine to be as "sleeper" as possible. Having ported out OEM manifolds will achieve that objective while also gaining more HP .
That may be true and I agree that stock manifolds will be more "sleeper" than any headers with the resulting change in sound, but there's no way that those stock log manifolds flow as good or better than even shorty headers that are designed to minimize blowback into the other cylinders. Now I can believe that the improvement can be so slight that who cares, why pay $$ for basically nothing beyond a more aggressive exhaust note, but log manifolds are the worst. Of course I can also believe that only shorty headers might be worse without improvements in the rest of the exhaust system but my car is aftermarket from the heads back. And for the record I have no annoying drone from the Flowmaster 40s out back (turndowns just past the lip of the bumper bottom).

Quote:
As for me, I replaced my two primary CATs a few years ago after one of them went bad with Magnaflow High Flow units (CA legal, of course). Even with that little repair / upgrade / mod and the rest of the exhaust system being OEM, it gave it a little bit of "glug glug glug" tone at lower RPMs. I can't wait for the day that I get a full catback system in place. Oh, and I'll be doing an X-Pipe with a set of secondary CATs immediately behind the CAT as my smog guy said that's perfectly CA legal if replacing the stock Y-CAT-pipe.
That's interesting because I've been told that in California (and some other states) you can't change anything in terms of the cats, not only must you keep the same number of them but there are CARB approved cats with specific part numbers that must be there, so even getting 3 cats in the right places but using the "wrong" ones (flow better) is verboten. You can get CARB approved headers, you can get aftermarket CARB approved cats or cat systems (like the 441111 Magnaflow system I bought with much better tube bends for much better flow). After the cats, nobody cares.

I would actually be on board with wiping out that third cat, replacing it with an X-pipe and then adding 2 more cats after that if it's legal. For-real true dual exhaust. But it's my understanding that I can't. Now that is something that bothers me in this anti-pollution world, that the specific parts are more important than results. I think that if you buy approved cats you should be able to mount them however and wherever so long as the car blows below the max on the various poisonous gasses. But apparently they don't care about that, only about what parts they've been paid off to accept. Nothing's perfect.

"When I've had a chance to consult my physician about the possible side effects of Spectavere? Side effects which include dry mouth and diarrhea, wet mouth and constipation, butt sneezing, hysterical deafness, unwelcomed night running, dusty semen..."

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I uploaded my sound recordings of my exhaust setup described earlier.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gLi...ew?usp=sharing
This is the basic sound when I'm playing with it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1098...ew?usp=sharing
And here is the sound inside the car at 50mph. Rough road, hence the bumps.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Having ported out OEM manifolds will achieve that objective while also gaining more HP .
Although every HP counts, I am not sure the risk of broken bolts is worth swapping out a set of manifolds for 5 HP. Even changing an o2 sensor is a PITA, these engines are a tight fit. IMO, you would have to be changing heads for it to be worth it, because you have to remove them anyway then.

Spending the money on a tune would give you more HP, and save money on Band-Aids.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:

That may be true and I agree that stock manifolds will be more "sleeper" than any headers with the resulting change in sound, but there's no way that those stock log manifolds flow as good or better than even shorty headers that are designed to minimize blowback into the other cylinders. Now I can believe that the improvement can be so slight that who cares, why pay $$ for basically nothing beyond a more aggressive exhaust note, but log manifolds are the worst. Of course I can also believe that only shorty headers might be worse without improvements in the rest of the exhaust system but my car is aftermarket from the heads back. And for the record I have no annoying drone from the Flowmaster 40s out back (turndowns just past the lip of the bumper bottom).

Headers aren't designed to "minimize blowback", they are designed to create low pressure pulses in the exhaust stream that ideally make their way back up to the head just as the exhaust valve opens, in order to help suck the exhaust out of the engine. It is called scavenging. Fun fact; exhaust manifolds can be designed to do this too! The problem is that the shorter the tubes, the higher the rpm at which this scavenging effect takes place, so in the real world, the only headers that you will see this from is a set of long-tubes. Any shorties that give any performance increase is only from them flowing better than the manifolds they replaced, not from any scavenging effect. Now moving on to our platform, flow tests have confirmed that the JBA shorties, which are the only CARB approved header for our cars, flow no better than stock manifolds, and dyno tests have also confirmed no power improvement with them over stock manifolds. They are also notorious for cracking. There used to be a member here who ported the stock manifolds, and those ported manifolds were shown to flow significantly better than the stock ones or the JBAs, as well as showed a performance increase when you started getting close to the 300rwhp number or beyond. Properly designed headers will give you a significant power increase, but shorties are not properly designed headers. The fact of the matter is the JBAs for our cars are not a performance part, they are an engine dress-up part, just like a chrome air cleaner or painting your valve covers.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

hey nick (wild tuckey) what was the dimensions of the muffler you used? i searched ebay with the part number but different size mufflers came up
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:28 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
It looks like the actual muffler is 14", the other measurement is including the total length with the pipes. Some have it as 20" while other have it a little over 21" overall. I have this one on mine.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Ya, Los Angeles. People may bitch and moan about smog laws but I grew up here when there were smog alerts and days (not many, but there were some) where we kids were told to either not go to school at all or not have recess. Do you understand? So damn smoggy that running around for 10 minutes could screw up your whole day (that irritating cough that won't stop for hours as much as you try to hold it in). There were days when I could go outside and convince myself I lived in Kansas because I couldn't see any of the local mountains (I live in the San Fernando Valley so there are mountains viewable in every direction) through the haze. I will take the regulations over that garbage any day. And today, with smog regs, we have stock pony cars putting out 500, 600, 700+ HP. I'm not going to cry about a few cats on my exhaust. This is one of those instances where "the greater good" is actually true.
I grew up in the Inland Empire, specifically Ontario. Being surrounded by mountains, the smog just sits there and doesn't go anywhere until either the Santa Ana winds come in and blow it all away OR it rains and the smog gets washed away. From the house I grew up in, I had a direct shot of seeing Mt. Baldy. However, on the worst of the smog days, you couldn't even see the base of the mountain. It was bad. Now, I live out in the Pass Area (where the 60 and 10 FWY meet just west of Casino Morongo), and I'm at a much higher elevation where smog isn't as much of a big deal there. However, I work in San Bernardino so I gotta travel down the Yucaipa Grade into Redlands / San Bernardino you can see the thick layer of smog. It's grey and thick. Nasty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Quote:
Headers aren't designed to "minimize blowback", they are designed to create low pressure pulses in the exhaust stream that ideally make their way back up to the head just as the exhaust valve opens, in order to help suck the exhaust out of the engine. It is called scavenging. Fun fact; exhaust manifolds can be designed to do this too! The problem is that the shorter the tubes, the higher the rpm at which this scavenging effect takes place, so in the real world, the only headers that you will see this from is a set of long-tubes. Any shorties that give any performance increase is only from them flowing better than the manifolds they replaced, not from any scavenging effect. Now moving on to our platform, flow tests have confirmed that the JBA shorties, which are the only CARB approved header for our cars, flow no better than stock manifolds, and dyno tests have also confirmed no power improvement with them over stock manifolds. They are also notorious for cracking. There used to be a member here who ported the stock manifolds, and those ported manifolds were shown to flow significantly better than the stock ones or the JBAs, as well as showed a performance increase when you started getting close to the 300rwhp number or beyond. Properly designed headers will give you a significant power increase, but shorties are not properly designed headers. The fact of the matter is the JBAs for our cars are not a performance part, they are an engine dress-up part, just like a chrome air cleaner or painting your valve covers.
@MadMikeyL basically said it for me without me having to search for the answer, lol. Basically, getting my OEM manifolds ported is on the mod list for me. Probably when it's time to build an / the engine for my car is when I'll do this.

Quote:
That's interesting because I've been told that in California (and some other states) you can't change anything in terms of the cats, not only must you keep the same number of them but there are CARB approved cats with specific part numbers that must be there, so even getting 3 cats in the right places but using the "wrong" ones (flow better) is verboten. You can get CARB approved headers, you can get aftermarket CARB approved cats or cat systems (like the 441111 Magnaflow system I bought with much better tube bends for much better flow). After the cats, nobody cares.

I would actually be on board with wiping out that third cat, replacing it with an X-pipe and then adding 2 more cats after that if it's legal. For-real true dual exhaust. But it's my understanding that I can't. Now that is something that bothers me in this anti-pollution world, that the specific parts are more important than results. I think that if you buy approved cats you should be able to mount them however and wherever so long as the car blows below the max on the various poisonous gasses. But apparently they don't care about that, only about what parts they've been paid off to accept. Nothing's perfect.
Well, I'm just stating what my smog guy said. He's a by the book guy too. Though, I have the suspicion that since I've been going to him for all my cars for the last few years that I've built a rapport with him that he'll let a few things slide; for example, having a 4-CAT setup instead of a 3-CAT setup that these cars have from factory. He told me that so long as all the CATs are CA legal, he'll pass the car during the visual inspection. Being a 4-CAT setup, I'd imagine that the car will have leaner emissions for the sniffer part of the smog test and won't cause any red flags to come up.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I understand that "blowback" is in no way a technical term but I was using it in terms of an episode of "Wheeler Dealers". I know, not scientific or a show run by exhaust flow experts. But he (Ant) was comparing a stock manifold off an old English car(?) and how if you blow compressed air down one of the tubes a lot of it blows back up the other tubes into the exhaust ports (he had a paper towel covering the other head port openings and it immediately blew away). He then compared to a shorty header (not a lot of room in the engine bay for a nice set of long-tube headers) that he was welding up for the engine with the same test and the compressed air was actually sucking the paper towel down into the ports (stayed put even upside down). Which I agree is the point of not long-tube headers, flow improvements. Long-tube headers will be much more effective (scavenging) but even those 3/4 length Kooks headers (which I would have chosen) aren't legal here.

My headers haven't cracked and part of what I was originally getting at was that the simple act of adding those JBA headers changed the exhaust note of my car significantly, which is what much of this discussion has been about (mostly which mufflers to add to true dual pipes to get the right sound). My advice is that if you plan to add performance mufflers and headers, do the headers first and see what it sounds like then. You will probably find that you don't need the most aggressive mufflers to get the sound you want and you can worry more about flow and back pressure since the sound is already like halfway where you want it. I'm not in the mood to deal with getting my stock manifolds ported for marginal gains, I prefer the marginal gains from the shorty headers along with the improved sound out the tail pipes and in the engine bay since that was my goal (more of an overall muscle car sound vs. a loud muffler sound).

I'd be curious to see dyno tests of full stock exhaust sytem for the Thunderbird 4.6 vs. single changes (full-length headers, shorty headers, aftermarket mufflers, Magnaflow cat system, dual exhaust pipes after the 3rd cat) vs. multiple changes (headers + dual pipes, etc.) to the system and then also with a 300+ HP engine (I know, easy to ask when I'm not the one doing it, that's like 20+ swaps). I'm also curious about flow numbers for stock Thunderbird exhaust manifolds vs. stock Mustang 4.6 manifolds.

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
I'd bet if you search here hard enough, you can find all that data.

You might have to piece it together from multiple posts, but every mod that can be performed to these cars has been done, and dyno tuned, at one time or another.

JL and KDanner had the best NA performance, IIRC.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in