can somone verify this please? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

can somone verify this please?

i looked under my car and i see that the exhaust manifolds bolt into the cats and basically at the cats there's a degree bend. i see that as a major loss of flow and power. i want to get downtubes made to take out the cats and make a much smoother pipe, then i'll run it into two high flow cats in front of the muffler. i think it would make for a much better flowing exhaust.

i have 2 questions i guess

i only see two cats, are there only 2? what about this resonator i keep hearing about? i only see 2 cats right after the exhaust manifolds an a muffler

does anyone know about positioning of the cats? i feel like they should be closer to the headers than about 31/2 feet or it will be a loss in power or something. it's a thought.

thanks,
james
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ThunderBeast86
Leave cats in stock location.
You have oxygen sensors you really don't want to mess with.

Whether they are 1 ft from the headers, or 3 ft, it should not make a difference, especially if you get Hi-Flow cats. I prefer removing them if possible (emissions).

I do not know specifically for your car, but my car came with a resonator, and it has been long gone. Your car might not of come with one, so don't worry about it.

Now go get some exhaust.

2.25" True Dual Catless DI/DO Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Addco 1 3/8", J-mod, Viper 791 Alarm, Clarion 855 full color touch-screen, Directed 2400 amp , 2 12" CV Strokers with a custom ported box, K&N air filter, 180* T-Stat, Xcal2 SCT TUNED BY LONNIE 17 x 7.5 (245/45/17) Chrome Cobra R's, 17x9 in back(275/40/17)
DOHC sitting in the garage
Teksid 2v plans?!?!
Tranny Cooler, Dual Remote Oil Filter waiting for install
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:20 PM
The Parts Guy

The exhaust on your XR7 has two cats just after the manifolds, with horrible bends going into them, as you mentioned. The large "muffler-looking" object mounted midbody is the resonator. The resonator is also a large restriction.

You can move the cats back a little from the manifolds/headers (whichever you decide to run), but they need to be close enough to "light off". Moving them too far downstream basically renders them useless from an emissions standpoint. Here are a couple pictures of some of my exhaust setups:

The first picture is of the exhaust on my DOHC 90 XR7. The cats are about as far away from the headers as I would recommend. Any further than that, and you may run into emissions problems.

The second picture is of the exhaust on my Splitport 94 LX. The cats are much closer to the manifolds on this car. The bends on the downtubes are still relatively sharp, however they are a HUGE improvement over the stock setup.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:08 PM

The postioning of the cats from the headers is not real important. That is except on a OBD2 car('95 up). Try to keep the O2's as close to the engine as possible
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys, it's a help

rod, if you plipped your car upside down i swear i could eat off the bottom of it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in