question about removing cats - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Question question about removing cats

i f i were to remove my cats off my 1995 tbird 4.6l what would be the out come , someone told that if you do that you are messing with to 02 sensor and if i do it, it will gozzle my gas and my check engine light will come on and stay on, but then someone else told me that it will not do that in fact it will help me save on gas, and the o2 sensor will not be affected unless the car was a 1996 or higher because he said that those years would be affected but not mine, but i wanted help from fellow tbird owners, and also i have flowmaster dual exaust, and i have heard flowmasters with out cats on and it sounds awesome, can anyone please help solve my cat problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:53 PM

your check engine light will come on because the 02 sensors are supposed to make sure the cats are doin what they are supposed to do and if they ain't there then they obviously aren't gonna do that. so theres an answer to one of your questions. You could get 02 sims and then you'll be fine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:22 PM

I have no cats with flowmasters and my check engine light doesn't come on and I've heard that since it has no cats you'll get better gas mileage since your engine isn't working as hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CougarXR7
I have no cats with flowmasters and my check engine light doesn't come on and I've heard that since it has no cats you'll get better gas mileage since your engine isn't working as hard.
hmmm interesting you might want to make sure the bulb on your CE light isnt burnt out because its suppose to throw a code because its not sensing the cats
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocruisin3308
your check engine light will come on because the 02 sensors are supposed to make sure the cats are doin what they are supposed to do and if they ain't there then they obviously aren't gonna do that. so theres an answer to one of your questions. You could get 02 sims and then you'll be fine
were would i put them and if i take them off will it gozzle gas or will it get better
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:36 AM
5th Gear Poster

The mil eliminators splice in between the wiring harness, and your o2 sensors. Or, you could pay 60 bucks for the plug in ones, but they all do the same thing. You can get the splice in mil elims for 8 dollars shipped off ebay, and if you can add 2+3 you can splice them in. If you gut your cats without them it should enter limp home mode, and your beast will not be so much of a runner anymore, and gas mileage will drop significantly. I don't know about mpg differences in relation to gutting cats. I'm sure there are just as many advantages as disadvantages when it comes to taking the cats off. Some will argue about loss of backpressure equating with loss of torque, but I'm pretty shure it just shifts it to a different point in the rpm band. Hope this answers your ?'s.

Mr. Brown

1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 266079416 seconds. wtf?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
6th Gear Poster

Dont gut your cats, replace them with straight pipe. It sounds kinda goofy and doesnt flow as well. The rear 02 sensors will need disabled either MIL or have a SCT burnt to disable them. The front 02 sensors will need to be in place at all costs.

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
PostWhore

The 94/5 models are semi OBD-II. So removing them may or may not throw a code. Mine didn't. So if you are gonna remove them, I would try it without the mil eliminators first. Then if it throws a code, get some eliminators (or have them turned off in a tune).

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

ok thats all great to know, but what about my gas mileage will it getbetter or worse, because some say its gets better but then soe say it will gozzle gas, does any one truly know, i was going to just get straight pipe not gut them, that would give me more power
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't have cats, I have straight pipes....no codes so far (it's been over a month) car runs great, sounds great, gas milage is at least what it was if not better.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 AM

I don't really see the advantage in removing cats. They are there for a reason. Besides a few extra hp maybe, I just don't get it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:16 AM

sound
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Marl Send a message via Yahoo to Marl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I don't really see the advantage in removing cats. They are there for a reason. Besides a few extra hp maybe, I just don't get it.
Sound and flow. If you gut the cats you will allow the gas to enter what's left of the cats and expand. After it expands and it's time to leave then it has to be compressed again to fit back inside the pipe. If you replace the cats with a straight pipe vs. guttin' them. The gas will not be allowed to expand and slow down. But if you leave the cats alone the material inside of them that the exhaust has to flow threw will cause a restriction and slow the gas down along with letting the gas expand. This is why open headers are run vs. a full exhaust on most drag cars. The faster the gas can get out the faster new gas can get in. The front O2 sensors tell the engine how rich/lean the engine is running and tells the computer what to do with the fuel mixture. So they have to remain in place. The other O2 sensor is just there to tell the computer that the cats are doing there jobs thanks to the EPA.

I hope this helps,
Marl

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 07:38 AM

Thanks for clarifying. The only thing that I still don't understand is that three fourths of the cars on this board aren't making anywhere near enough power to constitute removing the cats. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but in my own opinion I think removing the cats is pointless and causes more harm than gain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in