Cut off rear mufflers? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Question Cut off rear mufflers?

I was thinking of a temporary solution for my exhaust until i save up for a true dual setup. Has anybody heard a stock 91 5.0 with the 2 rear muflers cut off? Does it have a nice tone and roughly how loud is it compared to stock? I just cant stand only hearing my power steering pump when i accelerate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
I have heard one 5.0 with no muffs before. It's quite a bit louder over stock and lots of drone (if you don't add tips to extend past the bumper). I personally don't like the sound of mufflers cut off. I did it to my car too see what it sounded like before I got my exhaust and it pops and crackles to much for me. Just doesn't have a nice 'tone'.

So if you just want it louder and don't really care about it sounding kind of raspy, crackly and popping then go for it. Otherwise wait to get a new exhaust system.

Another thing.... sounds descent at idle and at WOT but not so great under normal driving.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:02 AM
leet sauce

if im correct it also has a resonator on it along with 3 cats
if that is correct you will want to remove the resonator as well
but i got 4.6L without muffs and its not too loud but at a same time beefy and stil can be heared by you and every1 alse around you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_Mo
I was thinking of a temporary solution for my exhaust until i save up for a true dual setup. Has anybody heard a stock 91 5.0 with the 2 rear muflers cut off? Does it have a nice tone and roughly how loud is it compared to stock? I just cant stand only hearing my power steering pump when i accelerate
I made some Mp3's of my car's sound, I can post them for a little bit. It sounds real nice and hardly any drone. I cut off the mufflers and replaced them with 18" long 3" dia tips.

right click, save as:

http://v8quebec.com/steve/crappyfrominside.mp3
http://v8quebec.com/steve/hahaoopsmyfootslipped.mp3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 AM
6th Gear Poster

Leave your resonator on and it will not drone near as much. People have diff opinions on droning. Some like it and some dont. I got tired of it during highway travel. I had my muffs cut off, removed resonator, and chrome tips out the back... droned like hell when driving... sounded nice at idle, not too bad at WOT. But sounds like crap when compared to my setup now.

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:53 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
i just realized something was done to mine, im still trying to figure it out, cause its awefully loud for stock. May have to make a sound clip tonight for you guys to see what im talking about.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Jedi Master

i wouldn't do it, save your money instead...

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Go ahead if you dont want to hear your music.....or just turn your music up

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 PM

NOOOOOOOO don't cut off you mufflers!!! When I did it I thought it was awesome for about a week, and then I realized it sounds like total shizz. On my car, it almost has a ricey sound to it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:57 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
ok, i figured what was up with mine, 3rd cat is hollow. You can hear it actually, im surprised i never picked it up

http://mars.walagata.com/w/coreyrutter1/car.wav

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
dont do it my 94 4.6 was like that if you want to go cheap have a shop cut off the muffs and go straight pipe

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in