wanting the loudest - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

wanting the loudest

ok guys so i have been doing research online and i have come across a couple of ideas. keep in mind i want the loudest and do not care about drone.

-i want to keep the best bang for the buck here also
-im goin with 2.5" pipe all the way and will have 2.5" high flow cats
-going true duals

1. to go with just a 2.5" di/do magnaflowor Flowmaster midmounted

2.go with 2 Flowtech Red Hots 2.5"x24" overall (midmounted)
http://www.performance-curve.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=861

3.go with 2 Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet's 2.5"x16.5" (midmounted or in back)
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0265&langId=-1

thanks for any replies

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM
leet sauce

2 and 3 look like glasspax (or w/e theyr called)
i think i read thouse make car really loud
but 1 would be loud too since it would be closer to the engine i think

if it was me id go with #1 because i think it would sound 'beefyer' then other 2
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

thanks. if i go with the red hots im ognna put them midmounted, but if i get the dynomax id prob stick them in back cuz they'd sit being smaller and reduce drone, put all the sound in the back.

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

anyone else have any opinions? im quite torn here lol

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

high flow cats with straight pipes out the back........................................

you did say the loudest.

:
The statements in this post are my opinions only.
If you have a problem with them, please PM me
and keep the boards clear of flame wars.

:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Yeah nothing at all would be loud, but sound like crap IMO.

I would go with a DI/DO muffler if I were you. Because they connect the left and right banks and work as an x-pipe. Which equals out exhaust flow. 2 in one sort of deal.

Plus they always sound nice and are pretty loud.

Glasspacks IMO end up sounding like crap when they wear out. Only sound good to me at idle and WOT. At normal driving sounds raspy, poppy and like an old beat down truck...LOL.

Secondly I'd go with the Dynomax Bullet mufflers (and for the record they are not glasspacks). I'd still mid mount them though and get an X-Pipe to put up front somewhere.

My .02!

Good luck with whatever you go with. Should sound good either way.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Yeah nothing at all would be loud, but sound like crap IMO.

I would go with a DI/DO muffler if I were you. Because they connect the left and right banks and work as an x-pipe. Which equals out exhaust flow. 2 in one sort of deal.

Plus they always sound nice and are pretty loud.

Glasspacks IMO end up sounding like crap when they wear out. Only sound good to me at idle and WOT. At normal driving sounds raspy, poppy and like an old beat down truck...LOL.

Secondly I'd go with the Dynomax Bullet mufflers (and for the record they are not glasspacks). I'd still mid mount them though and get an X-Pipe to put up front somewhere.

My .02!

Good luck with whatever you go with. Should sound good either way.

with all that said i can see the point of the packs wearing out. thanks alot. so u think with the Bullets would be louder than the reg flowmaster or magnaflow muff and quieter then a regular glasspack?

is fo that sounds to be the fit for me, otherwise im leaning toard di/do Flowmaster midmounted unless ppl have disagreements.

it seems to be between midmount Flowmaster or the Dynomax Bullets

what ya think?

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamberg
high flow cats with straight pipes out the back........................................

you did say the loudest.
If he wants the LOUDEST, go with the high flow cats and exit out the side. Less pipe = more volume.

But it would sound like an old truck.

Loudest isn't necessarily the best sounding.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I'm here to tell ya, the freaking bullets dumped are loud. IE, too loud for a daily drive IMHO. My setup is below, and with the Kooks, O/R X and Mac Flowpaths out back it was deep and nasty, but had a bad 2k-3k rpm rasp to it. I then put bullets dumped at the pumpkin, and it was viscious loud. I then decided to put them right after the x-pipe and it gave a deeper note, but got louder. The bullets are just too damn loud for a daily driver/street driver.

95 T-Bird
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Red face Just My Opinion ..... from EXPERIENCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919
anyone else have any opinions? im quite torn here
I have both the 5.0 LX and a SC - tuned and VERY fast. I have always liked LOUD and POWERFUL, until the other day I was in the LX getting on the onramp to the freeway when an old lady in a Lexus was riding my bumper. I punched the pedal to the floor, and the engine ROARED while I was pulled into the seat. I checked the rearview for the Lexus expecting a little dot behind me. Imagine my SHOCK as the Lexus FLEW by me as the two lanes merged into one! All I could see were the taillights ahead, and her car was whisper quiet as she shot by. I was TICKED! For the next few days I drove the SC because it is a LOT more powerful than the 5.0, and not quite as noisy until full throttle. I used every onramp I saw, but no takers. Then last night as I was crusing home at 55mph making the usual amount of exhaust noise, a BMW pulled up behind me fast, and then passed on my left because I was doing the speed limit. I stomped the gas to catch up with him and soon we were both doing 80mph. I will not risk a ticket at ANY speed faster than that, and when this guy got annoyed that I could pace him, he punched his pedal and disappeared instantly in the distance. Without making a sound. I guess my point is .... you don't HAVE to be noisy to have speed! Time to re-think the concept of HOWLING past an old lady in a Nissan Altima just to get the edge to the next stoplight.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
I have only heard the Bullets on a 99+ Stang and yes there were loud. But not as throaty as a DI/DO from my experience.

But I wouldn't say they were to loud for street use. But then again this is comeing from a guy who drove around with no exhaust at all after the first 2 cats for a few weeks. Now that was LOUD! And LOTS of drone and sounded like crap unless it was at WOT. But at WOT it sounded like a friggin nascar...LOL!

2Vbird, yours is going to be louder due to you having headers, a built engine with cams and dumped compared to a near stock engine. I'd love to hear what your Bird sounds like though.

EDIT, do you have cats?

And I can't stand a quiet V8 car. If it has a V8, it needs to be shown off IMO. V8s actually sound good with loud exhausts compared to altimas, BMWs, ect.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires

Last edited by Tony; 03-14-2006 at 02:16 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i just got back from the exhaust shop, 2.5" until the diff, then 2.25" to make some nice bends to finish it off. high flows from scp, and dynomax bullets, 3.5" stainless tips to finish it off. its sounds mean!! i love it, i'll try to get some pics and sound clips up by the weekend. (might need some help getting the clips on as i've never done it before.)

edit: how is the best way to go about getting a sound clip?

Last edited by FordFanatic; 03-14-2006 at 02:54 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
MN12 Fanatic

With a digital camera/camcorder or back in the day I took my laptop out and recorded a clip.

You can send them to me and I'll host them for you if you want. Other wise you can you http://www.streetfire.net/default.aspx or if you have your own webspace to upload the to.

My email is tonynova2000 at hotmail dot com

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

will it sound like crap with a computer mic? i have a mic i can hook to my laptop.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
MN12 Fanatic

It doesn't sound as good as when it's done with a digital camera. But it should do the trick. Just experiment with it until you get it to sound the best.

The closer you get the worse it sounds in my experience. It gets all muffled. So get like 15-20ft away and start from there.

Can't hurt to try it.

And also don't get directly behind the exhaust. I got the best results being diagonal from the rear end.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

cool, thanks for the info. that should be in a sticky!
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

thanks alot guys. so from what u guys are saying the bullets will be good. prob be louder than di/do but quieter than a glasspack. yea i want grumble and loud but will sacrifice grumble for loudness. i LOVE loud but not like a truck if im driving a car lol

thanks again guys. since the bullets are small i might put them in the back.

you think the sound will differ if they are midmountedor in the back?

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Where they are located definitely makes a difference in how they sound.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
Where they are located definitely makes a difference in how they sound.
how will it differ?

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
headers to 3.5'' single mandrel exhaust with a mid mounted bassani, to s single exit.

Loud as hell, it scares elderly and children.

Pair it with the deafening tone of a v1 supercharger and everybody wants to get a look.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Tony, I've got a guy coming this weekend with a great digital vid, I'll send you an e-mail with the Macs and the bullets. And I don't have cats...

Also, I like the DI/DO, but I just like the chambered exhaust note. I'll lose a few HP to keep a musclecar sound. One thing I have considered is putting two Sweet-Thunder chambered mufflers under the car at about 16" long. I like the sound of them, but I am concerned about the decibels again. I simply can't see getting two chambered mufflers under the car to look decent and not scrape or tear off. I would love to put the Mac's back under the car in the center because they sound bad *** but I can't get them there for the gas tank.

Justin's setup sounds good, as I've got two guys down here in the south running a 3.5" single. They both have a very loud systems, one with a Borla XR1 and the other running a Dynomax Ultraflow round.

As I said earlier, when I moved the bullets to the front of the gas tank with pipes running to the pumpkin, the sound deepened, but still nothing compare to the Mac's.

95 T-Bird
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Vbird
Tony, I've got a guy coming this weekend with a great digital vid, I'll send you an e-mail with the Macs and the bullets. And I don't have cats...

Also, I like the DI/DO, but I just like the chambered exhaust note. I'll lose a few HP to keep a musclecar sound. One thing I have considered is putting two Sweet-Thunder chambered mufflers under the car at about 16" long. I like the sound of them, but I am concerned about the decibels again. I simply can't see getting two chambered mufflers under the car to look decent and not scrape or tear off. I would love to put the Mac's back under the car in the center because they sound bad *** but I can't get them there for the gas tank.

Justin's setup sounds good, as I've got two guys down here in the south running a 3.5" single. They both have a very loud systems, one with a Borla XR1 and the other running a Dynomax Ultraflow round.

As I said earlier, when I moved the bullets to the front of the gas tank with pipes running to the pumpkin, the sound deepened, but still nothing compare to the Mac's.

you have a part number for the "Mac's"? so i can look into those.

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:23 AM
6th Gear Poster

Loudest? run your exhaust dumping out the manifold lol. Loudest and BEST sounding.... no cats, straight pipe out the rear into 3'' tips.

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

yea the only problem with ur guys saying no cats is that i HAVE TO have them for emmissions tests, so closest to no cats is highflows. i heard something about the Full Boar mufflers and had heard a clip of them, sound pretty beefy

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to vantage08
I got just a single pipe Flowmaster on my 3.8 and it sounds mean, sounds like an 8 =

www.tstacc.com
1988 V6 3.8- SOLD!
2005 Pontiac GTP- COMP G( Pontiac Supercoupe)
Mods: inferno hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal 17s, K&N short ram intake,LED out the 3in ZZP DP back exhaust. 304 stainless.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:50 AM

On my Mustang, I used to scare old ladies near the old folks home by revving the piss out of my engine near them... My friend's and I got a good laugh when 3 ladies jumped a good 5" off the ground hahaha! I may be evil but damn that was some funny stuff... Oh BTW: stright pipe from front to back stock H-pipe and gutted cats lol
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to monsterboardr
besides glass packs or straight pipes the loudest i know of are, in order of loudest of course;
1. mufflex
2. bassani
3. corsa

all of these would be completely custome installs as none of the stated companies produce kits for our cars. you could either modify a mustang kit or just buy the mufflers and mount them.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

heres the clip of mine. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...A27AA5F3C7.htm

i had some video showing the setup but it came out like crap since i was laying in the driveway trying to take it. i'll get some pics this weekend when i go to change my oil on the lift.

Last edited by FordFanatic; 03-26-2006 at 07:14 PM.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:11 PM
MN12 Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
Sounds nice!

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Sounds nice!

Tony, your exhaust is the best I've heard on any thunderbird.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in