Just installed true-dual exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Just installed true-dual exhaust

I had a free weekend, and everything I needed, so I spent about 12 hours yesterday cutting mandrel bends, tac welding, and getting under and out from under my an car innumerable amount of times. The result was a 2.5" true dual exhaust, cats, magnaflow x-pipe/resonator, and 2 Borla XS mufflers.

It actually isnt any louder than my stock exhaust without the rear mufflers, and is perhaps quiter inside the car. It has a slightly different tone though. I like it.

The SOTP meter isnt telling my much of anything as far as power gains, however it seemed to pull a little better on the Interstate today.

... as this was my first endeavor into fabricating exhaust systems, this one seems to hang a little low in the rear... I'll have to watch those speed bumps until I get a chance to get back under there and fix that

math > pasta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
How much $

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Pics please.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Your car originally had a third cat, right? You think you will have trouble passing emission testing? I want to get done what you did, high flow cats, no third cat, x pipe, two small round mufflers mid mounted, 2 1/4 pipe all the way back.

Plus finding someone that will get rid of the third cat is not likely, I have called a couple of places, and they seem to only do after that third cat. I don't want it to fail the visual inspection. My mufflers are pretty crappy right now, the inner muffler has leaks and a ton of stuff is dumping out the drain hole.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight
How much $

I think I have about $350 or so invested. I got the X-pipe/res for x-mas, so add a little more for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
Pics please.
I have a couple on the camera, I'll get 'em off as soon as I can.

math > pasta
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
Your car originally had a third cat, right? You think you will have trouble passing emission testing? I want to get done what you did, high flow cats, no third cat, x pipe, two small round mufflers mid mounted, 2 1/4 pipe all the way back.

Plus finding someone that will get rid of the third cat is not likely, I have called a couple of places, and they seem to only do after that third cat. I don't want it to fail the visual inspection. My mufflers are pretty crappy right now, the inner muffler has leaks and a ton of stuff is dumping out the drain hole.

well, I guess I'll find out about the emissions this fall I think I'll be alright though.

math > pasta
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM

I'd love to do that with my car this summer... where did you get the mandrel bent pieces, and what shapes would you recommend? spintech baby
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
PostSkank

I got the mandrel pieces from summit. I got 180* J-bends. If I had just ordered a bunch of 45* bends, I think I might have had less trouble, but that would have cost me about 4 times as much (since the 45* and 180* pieces I was looking at were about the same price.

pics!!

Heres the completed front section. I was in a hurry, so I lopped off the upper portion of the stock downpipes,welded in an adapte, and built from there. That will be replaced with 2.5" next time I get under the car... probably this summer.

another shot of the front section. Frank couldnt resist shocking TCCoA

one of many trips to the bandsaw

midway through the rear section. We had been at it for a good 10 hours at this point, and were pretty tired. So we got a little rushed and sloppy. This is where our angles really started to stray

back at the bandsaw... only about half as dirty as I was when we finished.

a shot of the rear section in the car

A shot from the rear.... you can really see how low it is in this one. Next time I get a few days to myself, I'll fix the geometry on a few spots so it'll tuck up higher. For now, I'll just take it slow over the speedbumps.

math > pasta
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
looking good, nigel. how low does that magnaflow hang down?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Thanks mike, the Magnaflow isnt too bad (though it could stand to be a little higher). I just need to take a weekend and rework a couple of the angles, and it should be fine.

math > pasta
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
6th Gear Poster

Nice work. The only suggustion I would make is put a connection somewhere so if you have to do rear work or header work you can take just half the system down instead of all of it. Ball connections work well, that way you can adjust the pipe alignment some for a better fit. Also double check all the welds to make sure there are no leaks at all.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Ed
Nice work. The only suggustion I would make is put a connection somewhere so if you have to do rear work or header work you can take just half the system down instead of all of it. Ball connections work well, that way you can adjust the pipe alignment some for a better fit. Also double check all the welds to make sure there are no leaks at all.

I ordered some ball connections, but they didnt show up in time for the install.... in fact, they never showed up. I was only able to find one place that carried them (Dr. Gas). Summit has some, but they are 3" in and 2.5" out (or vice versa)... any idea where else I could nab some? Right now I have some exhaust clamps at the back end of the magnaflow, but I'd much rather the ball connectors.

We pressure checked 99% of the welds before we installed them (ie, Frank held his hand over one end, I stuck my face over the other and blew. Listened for leaks and watched for weld smoke coming out). We were satisfied. When I get under there again, any leaks we missed should be pretty apparent.

math > pasta
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:16 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Lithsanatrex
nice setup, and i love the homemade leak checker
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithsanatrex
nice setup, and i love the homemade leak checker

thanks

I'm going to Switzerland for 10 months or so starting in October, so now I'm thinking about selling it this summer. Need to finish up the brake upgrade and hub swap first though, and some general tune-up stuff. Almost a little frustrating, getting all this work done on it, and now I'm possibly going to sell it.

Anyone interested in a hard-run '92 LX?

math > pasta
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 AM

Nice. I can't believe you don't feel much difference. My sotp meter showed huge gains from new exhaust. 1/4 mile times showed 20hp gain I installed 1 5/8 shorty headers at the same time though. The factory rear mufflers were in place before the swap also.

The mandrel bends are nice. Mine has a few spots where the compression bends are probably hurting flow. Oh well, a stick of pipe costs the same as 1 mandrel bend probably.

I took the ball connection from the Mustang h-pipe I ordered and totally hacked up. Most muffler shops can make a ball connection or have used ones around. You could also get them from a salvage yard.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
leet sauce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in