anyone got 2 muffs midmount? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

anyone got 2 muffs midmount?

Ok, I got a few questions going on here.
1) Does anyone have pics of two mufflers midmounted?
2) Is it possible to run 2 1/4" pipe under the gas tank without scraping the pipes on everything?
3) where can I get oval tubing besides that burns stainless place?
4) what are the advantages of going with true duals over 1 bigger single?, besides better flow. sound?
Thank you for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:09 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to shaggy433 Send a message via MSN to shaggy433 Send a message via Yahoo to shaggy433
yes you can run 2 2 1/4 pipes in the factory location without scraping anything look on the front page for pics of them installed

94 XR7 One of 71,026
Magnaflow Cats, Magnaflow DI/DO 2 1/4"true duals with 3 1/2" stainless tips...reverse glow gauges, 7 color a-pillar gauges, 20% tint, JVC HD deck, 10" Kicker square, 400rms mono Kicker amp.
And it can be seen here
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM

2 Borla XR-1's midmounted...3" duals. Currently dump just behind the front seats, but will have side exits with oval pipes. I don't really have a good pic of them installed. Car is up on stands now so I guess I could go and snap one if you want. The cool part is that this is my entire exhaust system right now...long tubes with 3" collectors feed into this and that's it. It's all about flow...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy433
yes you can run 2 2 1/4 pipes in the factory location without scraping anything look on the front page for pics of them installed
I mean right under the tank not through the the little passage way for the stock exhaust.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 PM

I don't think there would be enough room...too low IMO.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:40 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
I know a guy that used to post here a while back that goes by StephenC. He had 2 Offset in/out 40 Series Flowmasters mid-mounted. That was BEFORE the the gas tank (they were under the rear of the tranny area). You are not going to be able to put mufflers (especially 2) "under" the gas tank. Plus you don't want mufflers that close to the tank anyways.

I used to have pictures of his setup, but they are on my old PC. He got the flows welded together so they didn't hang quite as low. Looked like a descent setup. I was going to go that route, but then found out about the DI/DO setup and went with that instead.

He did mention that he did scrape on occasion.

BTW Blown306, that peice looks NICE!!!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 AM

Why not go dual in-dual out? Dual 2.5" pipes fit fine under the tank. I think someone ran dual 3" pipes once but that would be a tough job for sure.

If you look at my car from a distance you can barely see the single mid mount muffler tucked into the center tunnel. The only way to run 2 decent sized mufflers there is put them both in the center. [that would make for little room to make a smooth bend toward the tank] Otherwise they would drag speedbumps.

You could get away with some small glasspacks or something like that. Just remember that mufflers need size to dampen noise AND flow well.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
I know a guy that used to post here a while back that goes by StephenC. He had 2 Offset in/out 40 Series Flowmasters mid-mounted. That was BEFORE the the gas tank (they were under the rear of the tranny area). You are not going to be able to put mufflers (especially 2) "under" the gas tank. Plus you don't want mufflers that close to the tank anyways.

I used to have pictures of his setup, but they are on my old PC. He got the flows welded together so they didn't hang quite as low. Looked like a descent setup. I was going to go that route, but then found out about the DI/DO setup and went with that instead.

He did mention that he did scrape on occasion.

BTW Blown306, that peice looks NICE!!!
I am going to mount the mufflers under or around the tranny, I was just wondering if I could run pipe under the tank because I'm putting together the exhaust myself and it would be easier to go under the tank instead of in the little passage way. I won't have acces to a pipe bender.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55
Why not go dual in-dual out? Dual 2.5" pipes fit fine under the tank. I think someone ran dual 3" pipes once but that would be a tough job for sure.

If you look at my car from a distance you can barely see the single mid mount muffler tucked into the center tunnel. The only way to run 2 decent sized mufflers there is put them both in the center. [that would make for little room to make a smooth bend toward the tank] Otherwise they would drag speedbumps.

You could get away with some small glasspacks or something like that. Just remember that mufflers need size to dampen noise AND flow well.
Probably going catless so I figure if I go with 2 mufflers instead of 1 DI/DO I'll have a little more backpressure to keep some of my low end. BTW I'm going with Flowmaster Original 40's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown306
2 Borla XR-1's midmounted...3" duals. Currently dump just behind the front seats
same here but with flowmasters and 2.5 piping

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I am going to mount the mufflers under or around the tranny, I was just wondering if I could run pipe under the tank because I'm putting together the exhaust myself and it would be easier to go under the tank instead of in the little passage way. I won't have acces to a pipe bender.
It wouldnt work out too well, IMO. Go out and lay down beside your car and look under it... and imagine a 2.25 or 2.5" pipe running under there, out of the normal location. it isnt a good picture
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswing04
It wouldnt work out too well, IMO. Go out and lay down beside your car and look under it... and imagine a 2.25 or 2.5" pipe running under there, out of the normal location. it isnt a good picture
I just checked it out and I would definetly scrape on everything and I have to go over 4 speed bumps every time I leave or go to my house.
I mentioned this above but just incase no one saw it: I'm probably going catless but I don't want to lose any low end, so its safe to say 2 Flowmasters would give me more backpressure than just a single DI/DO right?
Thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:26 PM

I'm running a mid mount Magnaflow and two cheap turbo mufflers. The single muffler was too loud. I hate drone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in