Does anyone sell a Pipe to replace Cat's? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone sell a Pipe to replace Cat's?

Hey all,

I am curious if anyone sells a pipe to replace the cat's, just stright pipe, removing the cats?

My cousin bought a 95' t-bird that has bad cats, where we live in IL doesn't require cats, or smog check, but none of the muffler shops will do it.

I was hoping someone sell's a pre-bent pipe?

The local muffler shop wants $300 to replace the cat's, the cheapest I've found to buy them was on summint racing for $266 Manga flow sells a direct fit Cat's.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
There was a purchase that was being worked on. Don't know what happened to it. I've given some thought to removing the cat from the manifold, along with the necessary length of exhaust, and taking that part to a shop and seeing if they could build a length of pipe with the correct attachment part, and the correct bends. Then I'd take the pipe home and attach it myself. That way the company that built the pipe could truthfully say they did not remove any cats. Don't know what it would cost though.

One thing about removing the cats. If you remove them without any other mods, you'll get a Check engine light. You can have that fixed with a chip from BlueOvalChips.com. Just shuts off the sending unit that "tells on you" that the cats are no longer there.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornett
...where we live in IL doesn't require cats, or smog check, but none of the muffler shops will do it...
There is a reason that no shops will do it. While it may not be illegal according to Illinois, it is still illegal to remove them according to Uncle Sam. It is a federal offense to tamper with the emissions system on any vehicle so equipped.
Of course, realistically they are probably never going to find out but I thought you should be aware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Yea, I know. Its illegal. I thought it was funny that the folks who put my exhaust in said they'd remove the third cat, and put in the Magnaflow DIDO. But they wouldn't remove the other two cats. Guess they felt they only broke the law a "little" that way.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

the guys that did my system called the 3rd cat a resonator lol. but they didnt have any problems taking out the old crap cats as long as i put cats back on it.

anyway, i think it was nickmckinny (sp?) on here that was trying to set up a gp through art, try pming him about it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
anyway, i think it was nickmckinny (sp?) on here that was trying to set up a gp through art, try pming him about it.
Not trying to hijack but while you're mentioning ART I thought I would ask if anyone else has problems communicating with the dude from ART?, I emailed him last week and never heard anything back.
Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 AM

I have had all sorts of trouble trying to contact them. Not a very good way to run a business when you have a loyal group of forum members that talk about how you cannot contact a them. I hope that they can come through on this one, because their product is just plain awsome.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

well im not even sure if anything happened with the gp or not, best bet is to get ahold of nick and ask him.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
NickMckinney worked out and did alot of "fanagling" and established a GP for mandrel bent "downtubes" as they are called, but due to a lack of overall communication by management, that GP got canned.

What you can do, if your state doesnt have inspection(like the badassical state of florida), hack da cats, remove the flanges and clean them up and run el-cheap-o flexy tubing and take the car to the bendin' shop. I run a 2.5 compression bent system all the way through and my shop took the car without the primary cats and fabbed up a foward system, hacked el gato tercer, and put a 2.5 y-collector in its place.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in