I want that mustang sound... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Cool I want that mustang sound...

I don't want to sound like an a$$ but what are the best exhaust combo/Brand if I can get this thunderbird to sound like a Mustang V-8. And how far do i need to go? Headers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 PM

u might want to post this in our exhaust forum and u should really try doing a search first theres tons of threads on different setups and everyone has there own opinion so its going to be really up to u what u want
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78905

Last edited by MattsLE97; 03-22-2006 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

if you want a tbird to sound like a mustang.. sell it and go buy a mustang

our pipes don't bend the same way.. so it ain't gonna happen

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesD
if you want a tbird to sound like a mustang.. sell it and go buy a mustang

our pipes don't bend the same way.. so it ain't gonna happen
How do the way the pipes "bend" effect sound?

Personally I think T-Birds with true duals is probably the closest you are going to get to the Mustang sound. Mine sounds like one if you ask me....

I thought it was simply because they have true duals from the factory with an H pipe to give it that deeper rumble. And have the space for 2 seperate SI/SO mufflers instead of having to run a DI/DI.

If thats the case, what about 99+ cobras with IRS? They do not run up and over the axle and yet they still sould like a 'Mustang'...

They both both use the same engines (exc. 99+, they have PI), so I don't see how a bird can't sound similar.

If you could somehow fit two seperate muffs with an H-Pipe midway in a Bird, I bet they would sound just about identicle if the cars engines where setup the same.

Just my thoughts...

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Length of pipe, bend, muffler location all play a part in how the sound will resonate within the pipes. It isn't just H-Pipe and mufflers. Can we get close? Yeah, for the most part. Are we there? Meh

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Now... I'm not an engineer by any standard. But this is how it works out in my head. Sound travels in waves right? And we know that wavelength and frequency are changed when a soundwave moves through objects of different density. Now, it's pretty obvious that the exhaust pipe is going to be more dense than the exhaust gasses and atmosphere that the soundwave is moving through. So every time the soundwaves encounter a hard bend, they reflect to a certain degree and you probably lose some of the sound energy as it attempts to move through the "denser" material. A straighter bend would then mean that the exhaust note has not been as drastically effected by reflecting off of the exhaust tubing as it might through a bendy exhaust system (like ours.) I'm probably way off base, but that's the way it works out in my head. Mustangs have "straighter" exhaust systems, longer runs of straight pipe so ofcourse the note is going to be different.

Think about it this way too.. how does a pipe organ make all of the different notes? Different lengths of pipe. We have more pipe, but it's all kinked around and bendy. Mustang exhaust systems are notably straighter.

1994 SC 5-Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2253560
1996 4.6L R.I.P December 02, 2004
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560841
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 AM

DUMPS! Nah, that's too loud, my car had dumps for 2 days before tailpipes went on.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:04 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to monsterboardr
run an h-pipe with bassani or corsa muffler but you're gonna pay for it if you truely want it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:10 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Awesome guys, that is what I was looking for.

Learn something knew everyday.

But I still say you can get our MN12's to sound somewhat like a Stang.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

good examples thats how flowmaster gets their famous sound.. baffles within the muffler to alter the sound

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Well I just wanted some input on this issue. I'll just have to wait and see who in my state has their exhaust work done, then I'll go from there. Rather than pumping cash into the unknown
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:42 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Runner383 Send a message via MSN to Runner383 Send a message via Yahoo to Runner383
Try Accelerated Race Technology. They make a proper true dual setup for the MN12. You can also have one duplicated. Many people on this site have used it with great success. Mine was pretty much a local built version of the same thing, except I had an H pipe instead of an X pipe.

"Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:56 PM

i like the way my car sounds and all i did was unbolt my exhaust after the resonator, removed the resonator and put a turn down and she sounds mean.
but thats just my fix until i can afford a tru dual setup
and my plan is to do two mid mounted flowmaster 40 series si/so i think it would work if you could weld them to the point that the seds of the mufflers were facin the other way.....i hope that wasnt too confusing
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i ran my car for a week like that after i dropped the gas tank and i was waiting for my cats. IMO it sounded like total crap and droned like crazy.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Unbolting the exhaust after the resonator sounds mean when you're reving the motor in the garage to pi$$ off your neighbors and turns a lot of heads when your driving down the street. I agree that the mustang exhaust sounds good, but our MN-12's are not a mustang. I'm old school, so I like the sound of the previously mentioned exhaust. But let's face it, driving with it every day sucks! Read the threads on this site, and if you have enought money, experiment. My advice is don't try to copy a mustang, but find what sounds good to you.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:31 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 95RoaringCougar
hm...another example is a mustang that lives down the road where i live, it has side exhaust the mufflers peek through the sides but it still sounds like a mustang. its extemely quiet though you can barely hear it. i believe his setup is cats to H to straight pipe to muffs then 90 degrees. so idk

brought the cat from the dead...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoLXBird
Now... I'm not an engineer by any standard. But this is how it works out in my head. Sound travels in waves right? And we know that wavelength and frequency are changed when a soundwave moves through objects of different density. Now, it's pretty obvious that the exhaust pipe is going to be more dense than the exhaust gasses and atmosphere that the soundwave is moving through. So every time the soundwaves encounter a hard bend, they reflect to a certain degree and you probably lose some of the sound energy as it attempts to move through the "denser" material. A straighter bend would then mean that the exhaust note has not been as drastically effected by reflecting off of the exhaust tubing as it might through a bendy exhaust system (like ours.) I'm probably way off base, but that's the way it works out in my head. Mustangs have "straighter" exhaust systems, longer runs of straight pipe so ofcourse the note is going to be different.

Think about it this way too.. how does a pipe organ make all of the different notes? Different lengths of pipe. We have more pipe, but it's all kinked around and bendy. Mustang exhaust systems are notably straighter.
You're pretty much right on. It's all about flow conditions, speeds, and bends. They all effect the exit frequency. Is the flow the laminar, turbulant, fully developed? Don't know, don't know all the specs. Don't really care either. As the velocity profile changes, the frequency is going to change. If you have a straight pipe, it's generally going to be louder. Just don't let your exhaust hit that resonant frequency where stuff starts falling apart :-( (like when cars have crazy loud subs and crap ends up falling off). That's more hypothetical rather than possible.

I want that Stang GT sound (nothing loud and obnoxious that will attract much attention) that will give me a little extra roar when I press the pedal. The guy at Meinke gauranteed me he could give me a very similar sound or he'd refund me.

Either way, google "flow-induced vibrations" and you'll find a ton of info.

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

Yea, our exhaust setups have nasty bends compared to that of a Mustangs. I know on mine for example, I have a 90~ degree bend at the rear differential where my duals split off. I get a SLIGHT drone resonance at a specific RPM (2500ish), and I know this is the culprit... but throughout 90% of the RPM range I have a nice pulsating resonance... true duals, mount mufflers mid-body, and try to get your exhaust with minimal bends... that should give you a similar mustang sound.

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in