What type of exhaust should I get? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dirtybird489
What type of exhaust should I get?

I need suggestions on what kind of exhaust I should put on '92 T-bird (LX) It's too damn quiet! I need this car to growl or something! I just don't want my car to be ricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 PM
PostWhore

your best bet would be di/do midmounted muffler with everything from cats back remmoved running true duals. u can make variations to that setup but that's alike a base setup that as an overall rting gives u best sound.

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Runner383 Send a message via MSN to Runner383 Send a message via Yahoo to Runner383
Wow, thats a tough question. Theres many ways to go, you can just make it really loud and obnoxious, or meaner sounding with some added performance too. One of the toughest decisions to make with your vehicle in my opinion. It took me 5 years, then my doofus roomate totalled the car for me after only having my exhaust for 2 weeks.

"Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I want her to sound mean
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:34 PM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
I agree with smitty on this one. True duals with a Dual In/Dual Out muffler always sounds good and mean. Which you would either have to get custom bent up at an exhaust shop. Or you can always break down and get the ART kit.

You may want to check out this sticky:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78905

There aren't any 5.0 clips, but it still gives you an idea of your options.

There are a few catbacks out there, but they only make it a little louder. But hey, it's better than stock.

- Dynomax Catback (better performance, but no louder than stock really).

- Flowmaster (a bit louder than stock, but nothing drastic)

If you want it loud and mean, you are going to have to get rid of the third cat and resonator. They hold back quite a bit of sound.

Good luck!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

The thing is I have a 5.0, so would any of that stuff still work on mine?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird489
The thing is I have a 5.0, so would any of that stuff still work on mine?
Getting it custom done will be the best option for "true duals". Since the ART system is indeed designed for the 4.6. Only problem with the 5.0 is that the exhaust manifolds are setup differently. Otherwise it will technically fit. Just not bolt up to the stock 5.0 manifolds.

The catbacks will bolt right in though! And there are so many options when going custom....

Summit sells the Dynomax and Flowmaster catbacks or you can look into the SCP (pricey) exhaust: SCP Exhausts (they also sell the dynomax and flowmaster catbacks)

Not sure how strict your area is with emissions and what not, but I'd take it to a few local exhaust shops and see if they are willing to bend up some true duals for you while removing the third cat. Alot of places won't take off a cat in good working condition.

So what I did was cut off my entire exhaust after the first 2 primary cats myself. Then drove up to a local shop, told them I wanted true duals ran with a DI/DO muffler mid mounted, and some 18" x 3" tips. Gave me a quote of $490 for everything. Picked it up 3 hours later and the total came up to like $450 or something like that.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Nice I think I might try that. I'm sick of my b/f bragging that his car is louder than mine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 09:12 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
mid mounted single in, single out flowmaster (right after the cats and then right before the pipe bends) basically replace the resonator. Its the cheapest way to get the sound you want.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in