Performance and Sound from Highflow? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Performance and Sound from Highflow?

Hello i've kinda been searching around this site a little, but havent quite found what i'm looking for. I have a couple questions... When you guys put high flows on you 4.6 T-Bird was there a noticeable increase in sound? Also can you feel a gain in power? Can anyone direct me in the right direction to dimensions of the proper cat size for 2.25" piping. I have found that many memebers said that a 4" overall diameter is a good size to get? is that true? Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Yes you will get a increase in sound.

But you will only get like 3-5hp when going with high flow cats. Nothing drastic, or something you are going to "feel". But hey, every little bit counts...lol.

If you have 2.25" piping than just make sure you get cats with that size inlet/outlet. 4" overall around sounds fine.

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to JL2K7388
full line exhaust is a good site for custom exhaust (fle-online.com) I just got true duals on my bird with high flow cats the other day and I got everything on there. If it helps the cats i got that came recomended were the 53000 series, specifically part number 53005. I replaced the entire exhaust so I felt a large difference therefore i dont know how much the cats did, but those cats are great. Hope this helps

96 LX 3.8

Custom air intake, 9" K&N Cone, ASP underdrive pulleys, True Duals with DI/DO midmounted Magnaflow, ported upper and lower intakes, ported TB...and more to come

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385772

-Johnny-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Arent there O2 sensors on the stock cats? If so those magnaflow 53005's do those come with 02 bungs? Thanks... Also can anyone elaborate on the sound increase. Is it very noticeable? As in as an example if my friend took my tbird put high flow cats on the downtubes without me knowing... and then I start my car the next day (not knowing at all that there are high flows installed), would i PROBABLY notice it? Or is it somehting that i'd most likely shrug off? (sound) Thanks alot
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
leet sauce

have you ever thought of going straight pipes?
i thought all getting an exhaust system and it ends up being kind of expensive after labor of installing it.

what im planning on doing is getting a chip from loonie which turns off end cats and getting my muffler shop to cut off cats and put in a straight pipe instad of them. i can always put cats back in right before the inspection as they promised to install bolts so i can swap them myself. that way you get a tune, way better sound and engine breathes better for same or a little more $ invested vs just highflow cats.
i dont know if that will help you tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in