Does a converter effect the hc emissions? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Does a converter effect the hc emissions?

Our '96 v-8 t-bird failed an emission test today. The HC was 53ppm,two and three years ago it was only 24 and 10ppm.The NO was 9ppm three years ago,two years ago it was 186ppm.Today,the NO was 244ppm (max is 409).We did have to gut one pre-cat due to it self destructing when a broken vacuum line caused several cylinders to lean misfire,which led to raw fuel igniting in the cats (and doing a meltdown).The vacuum line may have been an increasing hidden leak for several years before the big breakaway.Today's failed test seems not related to a gutted cat because cats are supposed to control NO more than anything else,right?The car currently has MSD ign wires,new plugs,clean air filter,new fuel filter,Dynomax dual exhaust,no vacuum leaks,and all original maf and oxy sensors. Fuel mileage around town is poor,averaging 13 to 14,but freeway mileage goes up to about 23mpg. I am thinking (guessing) that if the oxy sensors are "slow" maybe that degrades city mileage,wastes fuel and raises HC levels.What do you guys think? Also,would cleaning the maf have an emissions advantage?The car starts easily,has pretty good power,does not show a check eng light,and has no stored codes.I would like fix the problem and pass with a large margin.I've got four weeks until current registration expires.Every good tip would be very appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

RE: Does a converter effect the hc emissions?

In a word, yes.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
no it isn't for just NO... its for everything. This is taken directly from how stuff works.com
A catalytic converter is a device that uses a catalyst to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds.

The three harmful compounds are:

Hydrocarbons (in the form of unburned gasoline)

Carbon monoxide (formed by the combustion of gasoline)

Nitrogen oxides (created when the heat in the engine forces nitrogen in the air to combine with oxygen)

Carbon monoxide is a poison for any air-breathing animal. Nitrogen oxides lead to smog and acid rain, and hydrocarbons produce smog.
In a catalytic converter, the catalyst (in the form of platinum and palladium) is coated onto a ceramic honeycomb or ceramic beads that are housed in a muffler-like package attached to the exhaust pipe. The catalyst helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. It also converts the nitrogen oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

It sounds to me like your other cats are going bad on you.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Moved to Exhaust.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks! Yes, I got the info now too. If I could just get a source for good condition used cats we would be home free! Believe it or not, re-certified used cats are legal in Cal, but they still cost about $500 a set outright. A few months ago, I sent Summit back a Catco system (not legal in cal) due to severe bad fitup. The only system that seems to fit is a Ford factory setup. All the local wrecking yards have to cut thru the systems before cars enter the yard, and they can't legally sell a used set either. It looks like a big snafu for me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM
PostWhore

yep california is ghey. Stupid emission laws....

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Faster than Porkchop

I paid 650 for my refurb cats , and I got the you got raped stuff from people .

looks like prices are coming down . lol

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM

A couple years ago there wasn't any place that was selling used cats (OBDII compliant) for my T-Bird. At the time, my Dad owned the car and the cats went out. He went to get them replaced and he was told that the only way to pass was to get genuine OEM replacement cats. So he went the Ford route and paid a nice $980 for the 3-cat Y-pipe assembly, and then $75 for an install. All I can say is...ouch!

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to kermit
you could always go to the for sale forum. i think a while back i saw somebody had exhaust components in there for sale. get a set from somebody doing a no cat conversion?

just a thought.

jamie

Jamie
'96 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
'07 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4.6L 3v
'06 Mustang GT 4.6L 3v 5 spd

"10 in the tank, 4 on the floor"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 PM

cats - cheaper wishbone

Just replaced my wishbone with 3 cats.
If you have a connection, you can get all 3 replaced for about 400.

Tip: exhaust pipes are extremely rigid; if you want a good seal, have your cats rebuilt, not get someone else's that might be off just a little. No amount of cranking on bolts will eliminate the HOG sound.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
try replacing the O2s first i would try that. Ive had cars that had exessive emmissions and i just changed the O2 sensor and passed with outstanding low emissions...but cali is strict so the cats may be holding you back. I would just pop some new O2s on then take it thru a test...then if it still fails get new cats! If you get just new cats without replacing the O2s you could still fail.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in