My photoshopped exhaust setup, will it work? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
My photoshopped exhaust setup, will it work?

I got the layout of the stock system from the rockauto website. when i coped the mid pipe over, i thought it was going to overlap, but it didnt, if fits snug with the other pipe. Given that the stock pipe now will be moved over to the passenger side bank. I was thinking, if i just bought a new midpipe, move my old one over, have an extension pipe to compensate space on both sides for the 3rd cat and resonator (already removed), and get the tips worked out, which i could also use a good deal of my existing pipe back there. I would have a shop i do business with do it, but will that work, moving it over and stuff?

oh yeah, and ill have an h-pipe somewhere in that, probably up by the pipe that im going to use to make up the space for the resonator and 3rd cat

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.

Last edited by Gcline; 08-07-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to mybird_91
my bird is set up almost exactly like that but generaly it should work..... i had trouble finding someone that wouldn't bullsiht me and say it wasn't possible! I paid 250 for cat back new pipes(2) ran to 2 glasspacks in rear where you show mufflers. trust me go w/mufflers!

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
LT1 350
K&N Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust
1995 Lincoln Mark VIII
hollow front cats, 3rd cat still there, no resonator, replaced by a single 40 series flowmaster, 2 3"x18" tips out back. screamin demon coil packs, mallory pro wires, motorcraft platinum plugs. intake resonator delete.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
6th Gear Poster

I have that same setup almost... only diff is I have a mid mounted muffler, and no mufflers in the rear. But the pipes run along the same path down the body like you got there.

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

ive already got the mufflers and the resonator taken off. I have some thrush turbo's on there now and they sound pretty good, not too loud, not too soft. If i can talk them into it, I might have them remove all the cats, since i dont have inspections here.

P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 PM

I have that same exact setub minus the h pipe and the cats. I went with flowmasters for the sound but thats up to you.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:22 PM

looks like it would work
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
PostWhore

I have that same exact setup minus the h-pipe and the cats. I went with Borlas for the sound but thats up to you.

The 2 sections going thru the tunnel will be very close. I had the shop weld a brace to them to keep the spacing. Might not have been necessary, but I didn't want them touching and making noise.

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
PostWhore

Cool

I had mine done a little differently. I left the cats in place and had the resonater removed, then a custom made Y-pipe put in it's place, then ran duels back to a set of Dynomax bullet glasspacks. Looks and sounds great.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
4th Gear Poster

so you have a set of

galsspacks? i heard they sounds chitey on the tbird.

bullits however sound good.

i want to hear what a set of long glasspacks sound like on a bird

00 GT transmission,Jmod,30,000 gvw transmission cooler
Air silencer removed(cone filter added w/ heatshield)
shaved emblems, doors, trunk, and antenna
Clear corners
chrome 95sc rims
20% tint all the way around,
6gallon air tank capacity, Viair 400c commpressor
175psi pressure switch
custom guages by Scott H.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2733945
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncaged 94
I had mine done a little differently. I left the cats in place and had the resonater removed, then a custom made Y-pipe put in it's place, then ran duels back to a set of Dynomax bullet glasspacks. Looks and sounds great.
Why did you go with a Y pipe? Have you tried true duals?

Reason I ask is because I had a Y pipe, and just recently went true duals and I feel like i lost a lot of low end. I just added some resognators and seemed to have helped some. Still tweaking the exhaust though.

2002 EXPLORER: 400+whp 2v/M90 434tq / 401rwhp @ 9psi.. suv, 20's, IRS, slush box
COMING SOON: Modular Performance 324ci, Trick Flow Heads w/custom grind cams, Tork Tech TVS SC
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

for the guys that have the same setup, did you have the second midpipe custom made or did you buy a stock one? Thats what im trying to figure out, instead of having it made, i could buy it cheaper myself.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:

Last edited by Gcline; 08-07-2006 at 09:10 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
I dont think you'll have much luck getting a second stock mid-pipe to fit next to the other, as it has some flat spots where it gets wider, and I am doubtful that they would fit next to each other as nicely as they do in the photochop

math > pasta
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 PM
PostWhore

Cool

awdRocks, aside from diameters, we all know that the purpose of the "X" or "H" pipe is to merge the two exhaust flows togather. The reasonong is that it will aide the flow by equalizing the pulses of the two banks and help with scavanging. From the research I did on "X" and "H" pipes, apparently the X pipe is more suited to an engine that has higher peak torque revs., were as an H is more suited to a lower peak torque curve. This is why the mod motors like an X pipe and the pushrods like the H pipe (stockcars like in NASCAR by the way use the X design). My reasoning was this, after I had the resonater removed, it almost looked like one side of the "X" design were the pipes merge. So all I had to do was continue the other side with a reverse "Y". And since the stock motor is really a weanie (205 HP) I decided to go with 2" diameter pipes back to the mufflers. I figured the smaller diameter would help with torque. And it did, big time. Although it just feels marginally better out of the hole, I can really feel it pull alot harder on a kickdown at cruising speed. After all, they are cruisers, right? Any way, it's been nearlly four years since I had it done and it still looks and sounds great. The pulse tone is awesome and I get comments all the time. I hope that answered your question.

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 08-07-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in