high flow cats - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

high flow cats

Ok, before you say, get rid of the cats. I live 30 minutes out of chicago. So therefore i have to do emitions. So i need cats on the car. But my question is. Even though with the high flow cats ive heard that there is a possibility of not passing emitions. Is this true? Or when i have them installed have the shop box/bag the stock cats to throw back on when emitions comes around? Another thing, will the high flow cats make a difference in my 60 foot or 1/4 time? I know that it adds flow. And i already have a 2.5" cat back. Should i have them just convert the exhaust to true duel and keep the 2.5" headers back with high flow cats? Then when i have the money get the headers for my car?

Another thing, what kind of sound difference can i expect?

Thanks
Andrew Z

Last edited by mngsserder911; 08-29-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 AM
PostWhore

i would pick up some carsound cats. They work well, and are legal everywhere except california, so you should not have an issue.

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 AM
leet sauce

yeah i was thinking the same thing
if they flow better then they dont filter as much stuff right?
if so then a car with high flows would score worst in emission testing then car with stock cats right? :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM
PostWhore

techanically, but it should still pass smog, so its a moot point anyway.

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Actually, high flow cats are just as efficient at removing pollutants as the factory ones, if not more efficient. You would probably fail in california just because when they look under the car, it won't be factory cats, however that is not to say that it wouldn't pass the sniffer with flying colors. Just to give you an idea, I live in NJ which has the same standards as california, only they aren't retarded with the visual inspection. My 94 cougar has 2 high flow cats and the third cat gutted and EGR shut off completely. When I went and got inspected, it passed just fine. The HC and CO were both under 10% of the allowed amount, and the Nox reading was like 700 and the standard was like 900. I say just get some good 3 way high flow cats welded in place of the stock front 2 and then remove the third cat and you'll have better flow and sound and still be able to pass emisssions just fine.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg0r
yeah i was thinking the same thing
if they flow better then they dont filter as much stuff right?
if so then a car with high flows would score worst in emission testing then car with stock cats right? :S
They arnt a filter, they are a catalyst. That means they aid in a chemical reaction. Which really just means they make the leftover stuff in your exhaust burn again to make it cleaner.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:12 PM

Carsound 40000 series are OBDII & California compliant. But you don't live in California so just get look through their catalog for OBDII compliant universals. Go with those.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

Im kind of in the same boat...

I have found 3 carsound cats that i'm not sure which ones to go for...

Part#'s

All are 2.25".

Anyone know which one I should be using for a true dual set up on a 1992 5.0L Cougar?

- 1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L -
- Black Leather on Wine Metallic -
- So Far... 18" Mac Rims -
- Alpine Mp3 Player -
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM

The first 2 you mentioned aren't rated to support the displacement of your engine. Here are the ones that are.

93535 (Large Oval)
94035 (Standard Oval)
94135 (Short Oval)

If I were you I'd probably go with the standard or short so that the exhaust is able to tuck up nicely under the car, and you won't have to worry as much about clearances.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:19 PM
PostWhore

although they say the 43000 is california legal, they are not for our cars, they are not certified for our cars (pretty gay but i dont make the rules). Only vehicles that have exemptions that i kno of are the chevy trucks, dodge trucks, and jeeps.

Mods:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

Question Which one... hohum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486
The first 2 you mentioned aren't rated to support the displacement of your engine. Here are the ones that are.

93535 (Large Oval)
94035 (Standard Oval)
94135 (Short Oval)

If I were you I'd probably go with the standard or short so that the exhaust is able to tuck up nicely under the car, and you won't have to worry as much about clearances.
Ok.

Sizing makes sense, should make it easier. But will me going true dual not require me to sort of play with the test weight a bit? Cuz now im dividing the flow between two seperate pipes.

Also outside of space, are there any real differences between the ones you listed for flow or emmisions?

Thanks!

- Alpine Mp3 Player -
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud2or3
But will me going true dual not require me to sort of play with the test weight a bit? Cuz now im dividing the flow between two seperate pipes.
No you don't have to worry about that. The 5.0 T-Bird had the cats divided before the flow of exhaust comes together from the factory, so you don't have to worry. Each converter is going to do as much as it can, and whether the exhaust comes together or not, the contents of the gas after the converter will still be the same. It'll just exit through one single pipe or two separate pipes. Do you get what I'm trying to say?

If I'm not mistaken, as long as the converter you select qualifies for both your engine size and test weight, you can use it without any problems (non-CA OBDII of course).
Quote:
Also outside of space, are there any real differences between the ones you listed for flow or emmisions?
The only difference that matters to you is the physical size of the converter. The larger converter may be able to perform better than the smallest one listed there since there may be more catalyst surface area, but the important thing is that all perform well enough to meet EPA standards. That's all that matters. The size selection is based on what your needs are.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 12:13 AM
PostWhore

Will high flow cats reduce the amount of heat that comes from under the car?

In the summer time I feeel like my arm is going to burn off from the heat coming form under my Cougar an radiating up the door.

Aslo, where can I find the Carsound cats? I was looking at the Catco ones that Summit Racing sells but I would rather go with what is recomnded by everyone here
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA
Will high flow cats reduce the amount of heat that comes from under the car?
No unless your current cats are plugged up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA
Aslo, where can I find the Carsound cats? I was looking at the Catco ones that Summit Racing sells but I would rather go with what is recomnded by everyone here
I'd go with Summit, but that's just my preference. I don't know any other good dealers.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 AM
4th Gear Poster

Exclamation Two words...

Performance Peddler.

And DO call, or email. you will get much better pricing even compared to their web pricing, which is already better than most places.

DO IT...DO IT.

- Alpine Mp3 Player -
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Performance Peddler.

And DO call, or email. you will get much better pricing even compared to their web pricing, which is already better than most places.

DO IT...DO IT.
I'll 2nd taht. Put in an offer lower than you think, you may be suprized!

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in