Does anyone use the Dynomax catback ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone use the Dynomax catback ?

I was thinking of picking up the Dynomax catback for my MN12, is it worth the money or should I just get a true dual system done now ?

I will stay with the stock exhaust manifolds if that matters.....headers are not even an afterthought on this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM

are u looking for sound?? if so this is not the catback for u. I would just go with true duals and call it a day

-Matt-
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I have duals on my Roadrunner with the Summit turbo mufflers and I love it....the car has a bit more of a 'serious' engine than my MN12 but it sounds reallly good.

http://media.putfile.com/WOT-then-idle-down-block

Sorry about the dog barking towards the end, he hates both of my cars lol.

I love the Borla/Magnaflow sound. My buddy has a 99 Saleen 281SC and I LOVE the exhaust sound....so in a way I would be trying to emulate that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP
I have duals on my Roadrunner with the Summit turbo mufflers and I love it....the car has a bit more of a 'serious' engine than my MN12 but it sounds reallly good.

http://media.putfile.com/WOT-then-idle-down-block

Sorry about the dog barking towards the end, he hates both of my cars lol.
BOING! Okay, now that I killed my keyboard . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP
I love the Borla/Magnaflow sound. My buddy has a 99 Saleen 281SC and I LOVE the exhaust sound....so in a way I would be trying to emulate that.
I doubt you're going to get that sound from a T-bird . . . . they just don't sound the same. Have you listened to some of the clips here?
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78905
There are some that sound pretty good, and somewhat close to a Mustang.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04
BOING! Okay, now that I killed my keyboard . . . .

I doubt you're going to get that sound from a T-bird . . . . they just don't sound the same. Have you listened to some of the clips here?
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78905
There are some that sound pretty good, and somewhat close to a Mustang.
The Roadrunner has a 2.5" H-pipe system running off of stock HP manifolds with turndowns at the bumper. It is sporting a stock 440 for now (non-HP camshaft) and it probably at a realistic 300-350 flywheel HP.

I'm going to find out what mufflers that Saleen has. I know it is a Borla system for sure, but if I put a 2.5" H-pipe system with the same approximate mufflers, I see no reason why it shouldn't come close in overall sound. Aside from probably better headers and a supercharger, his drivetrain is not much different from mine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:37 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Runner383 Send a message via MSN to Runner383 Send a message via Yahoo to Runner383
The sound has to do with the fact that the mustangs exhaust pipes run nearly straight all the way underneath. If you could mount the 2 mufflers mid-body and have the pipes running as straight as possible all the way back, then it will sound like a Mustang.

"Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:54 AM
4th Gear Poster

I've got the dynomax cat back on my 96. The dynomax is definitely not loud. It's just barely louder than stock. It's about the same tone as a G35.

If you want LOUD a cheap way to get it is to use walker(dynomax)'s 46843 pipe and have someone bend you a tailpipe for it. That's what I had on my car when I bought it and it shook houses.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4294907842+115
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Thread Killer

The Dynojunk is not loud at all, had it on my 95. After 2 Illinois winters there were big holes in both mufflers. You shouldnt have that problem in Texas.

As of 10-20-06 DOHC POWERED
Painted Vista blue as of 08
242hp/251tq
[email protected] [email protected] Byron Il
RobertP plate modded: 5-23-08
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:59 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeeeka
I've got the dynomax cat back on my 96. The dynomax is definitely not loud. It's just barely louder than stock. It's about the same tone as a G35.

If you want LOUD a cheap way to get it is to use walker(dynomax)'s 46843 pipe and have someone bend you a tailpipe for it. That's what I had on my car when I bought it and it shook houses.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4294907842+115

What does the Walker pipe look like? No picture through google or Summitracing.com. I'm wondering if it is a catless Y downpipe or replaces the Y cat.

I have the Dynomax kit. i had the Flowmaster kit first but the drone was annoying. the Dynomax is a higher quality kit than the Flowmaster. It's louder than stock, but quieter than the flowmaster catback. I noticed a slight power increase with the Dynoamx over the Flowmaster. Mine's been on for at least 3 years and still working fine.

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I noticed a slight power increase with the Dynoamx over the Flowmaster
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:47 PM
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM

oops. link doesn't show it, but their online cat does show the image.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderB
What does the Walker pipe look like? No picture through google or Summitracing.com. I'm wondering if it is a catless Y downpipe or replaces the Y cat.
It's a cat-back pipe. Bolts onto the back of the 3rd cat. You'll have to have someone fab up a tailpipe for you. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:37 PM
6th Gear Poster

Alright, doesn't sound like what I was looking for.

And yes, Fordfanatic, there was a slight increase in power with the Dynomax as well as no droning.

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
And yes, Fordfanatic, there was a slight increase in power with the Dynomax as well as no droning.
proof, or is your azz calibrated?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in