Turbo Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

Send a message via AIM to ZeroRain
Turbo Question

I have a quick question on turbocharging a v8. i want to run a single turbo on my carby 5oh. would there be enough juice flowing from one hot side or should i run both sides thru it?

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX EFI Swapped 311 5spd "TT 5oh project"
1998 Ford Taurus SE 24v Duratec auto "DD"
1966 Ford Galaxy 500 352 Cruise-O-Matic "Restoration Car"

We don't just dream about fast toys, we build them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Depends on how big you choose the turbo. Have you decided what are you HP goals? Have you chosen a turbo? But to answer your question, no, you need to run it from both sides...

Israel

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
never just run one bank thru a turbo and let the other unrestricted. that could cause massive damage. The exhaust presure on the turbod bank would be extremely high and the other low resulting on a unbalanced resistance on the rotating assembly, not to mention the heat difference from bank to bank, a turbo would need all the exhaust gases to spin a big enough turbo for the application. It would be a tuning nightmare even if you did get it to work!

Run custom or flipped headers, then buil a Y pipe to the turbo flange for a single turbo app. Then run a single downpipe. The carb will have to be modded for blowthru.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
5oh Transformer

Send a message via AIM to ZeroRain
alright. i think im going to flip my headers and make a y soemtime in the next couple weeks. the turbo i have no idea what i want. maybe an IHI or a T3

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX EFI Swapped 311 5spd "TT 5oh project"
1998 Ford Taurus SE 24v Duratec auto "DD"
1966 Ford Galaxy 500 352 Cruise-O-Matic "Restoration Car"

We don't just dream about fast toys, we build them!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
a t3 will most likely be restrictive in a single setup you need a larger turbo. You need to do alot of research before you jump into a turbo project. look into master power turbos lots of guys are having very good results with these turbos. They are basically a garret design under a different name. Look for T4s and there are lots of options to choose from such as different housings and different compressor and turbine wheels, exducer size and inducer, .ar of the hjousings, compresor maps... Might try and track down some info on the holset turbos off of turbo diesels to find a holset that would match your combo. Another thing if thats a standard 302 block (not mexican) reliability on the block starts to go out the window around 400-500hp. Most guys split the block after a while at these levels. Other things to consider is wastegate(external or internal) depending on the turbo it may have a internal wastegate can. Bov,intercooling or meth inject, plugs, ignition, oil lines and plumbing and tapping the pan. Check out theturboforums.com there is alot of info there.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
never just run one bank thru a turbo and let the other unrestricted. that could cause massive damage. The exhaust presure on the turbod bank would be extremely high and the other low resulting on a unbalanced resistance on the rotating assembly, not to mention the heat difference from bank to bank, a turbo would need all the exhaust gases to spin a big enough turbo for the application. It would be a tuning nightmare even if you did get it to work!

Run custom or flipped headers, then buil a Y pipe to the turbo flange for a single turbo app. Then run a single downpipe. The carb will have to be modded for blowthru.
You can also Draw Thru. I know someone that did this with a 2.2L Dodge Motor from an 80's car. It worked great with little bit of fabricating.

Big Rob's Car---1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition #314 in Cordovan Red. 89,xxx miles----

1997 T-BIRD LX 116,xxx miles--- Lost Due to a Divorce!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRain View Post
alright. i think im going to flip my headers and make a y soemtime in the next couple weeks. the turbo i have no idea what i want. maybe an IHI or a T3

Suggest you do a bunch of reading on turbomustangs.com before going any further with your plans to turbocharge the car. There is a lot of stuff to be considered before you start fabricating. The first thing you need to do is set your performance goals either by ET or HP, because that is what determines how you will size all the components.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
6th Gear Poster

Mass Air before or after TURBO ?

A guy with a 1000 hp Viper and and a racer here in town could not agree . when I ask other people they say something different . What say you ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 12:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 sc 460 View Post
A guy with a 1000 hp Viper and and a racer here in town could not agree . when I ask other people they say something different . What say you ?
If possible...before the turbo. It will be easier to tune and have more range than mounted in a blow thru configuration. The difficulty with using a draw thru (before turbo) is the need to use a recirculating bypass valve instead of a blow off valve, dumping air to atmosphere. For good driveability it must be setup where air being dumped by the bypass (after turbo outlet, before throttle body) is plumbed back to the intake side of the turbo (after MAF before turbo inlet)

Take a look at Hellion turbo systems, because that's how they do it.

David

PS: I had a blow thru MAF...and ditched it and the stock EEC for FAST XFI standalone that uses a 3 bar MAP sensor instead of the mass air. Works a lot better.

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in