Turbocharging Mark VIII - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Stevo1111
Turbocharging Mark VIII

Introduction:

Some of you might recognize me from my recent posts about turbocharging my 91 5.0 bird. I recently sold that to pay for school and such. I'm considering buying a Mark VIII as a project car. My goal being an extremely quick street car. In my opinion that means very quick acceleration up to around 100mph or so. Drivability and fuel economy will not be an issue.

The plan:

I recently found a 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII in the area with 100k on the stock engine, completely bone stock. I did extensive research on a turbo set up for the EFI 5.0 and I now hope to turn this Mark into a turbo project. I have never seen or heard of another Mark being turboed.

I will run the stock exhaust manifold, gutted first cat, back to a conjoined cross over pipe. The pipe will carry combustion products to a turbo mounted in the location previously occupied by the battery. The down pipe will then exit straight down and the exhaust will be considered at a later time. The cold side will draw through the driver's side fender well. The stock MAF or perhaps an 80mm unit will be used before the compressor. The compressed air will flow through a custom front mounted intercooler and into the bone stock engine. A basic setup it seems.

Questions:

I have been able to find very little info on the Mark in terms of stock engine performance. The compression seems to be rather high, so boost will be kept to a minimum and a custom tune, perhaps electronically pulling timing under boost, will be required.

1. How much boost will the stock internals hold up to for a prolonged period of time?
2. Will the stock injectors flow enough fuel for a 350-400hp output?
3. Will the stock trans hold gears 1-3 (In my previous Mark 8, first gear ran until nearly 60. Maintaining the stock gear ratio will give me plenty speed in 3rd gear)
4. Will the rest of the drive train withstand hard launches from a more powerful engine combination? My old mark with 125k held up to launches off the stall speed 5-10 times every Friday and Saturday night over a year hehe.

Any help or knowledge you guys have about these cars would be great. This is just an idea, as I might pick up a 1972 AMX 4 speed 401 in need of a full resto and keep this mark as a DD.

1991 Thunderbird 5.0:
Cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm Ford Racing TB, E303 cam, opened up E7 heads, Mac headers, Magnaflow true Duals, Tragnsgo shift kit, 3.73's in an auburn posi, hardly spins the tires! I NEED MORE SPEED! Anyone have anything quicker they want to trade for? PM ME!

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...1165080039.pbw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

The problem you'll find is there is simply no room to run the piping. To say that it's tight is the understatement of the year. Unless you go to a tubular K-Member, good luck.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo1111
1. How much boost will the stock internals hold up to for a prolonged period of time?
On the 100k engine? not much, plus it has a high CR ratio..

Quote:
2. Will the stock injectors flow enough fuel for a 350-400hp output?
No..

Quote:
3. Will the stock trans hold gears 1-3 (In my previous Mark 8, first gear ran until nearly 60. Maintaining the stock gear ratio will give me plenty speed in 3rd gear)
Probably but not for long...

Quote:
4. Will the rest of the drive train withstand hard launches from a more powerful engine combination? My old mark with 125k held up to launches off the stall speed 5-10 times every Friday and Saturday night over a year hehe.
Probably but nor for long. Remember that you have a car with 100k on the whole car..

Like Bill said, not enough space under the hood of a MN12,

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I'll just beat the snot out of it N/A then

1991 Thunderbird 5.0:
Cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm Ford Racing TB, E303 cam, opened up E7 heads, Mac headers, Magnaflow true Duals, Tragnsgo shift kit, 3.73's in an auburn posi, hardly spins the tires! I NEED MORE SPEED! Anyone have anything quicker they want to trade for? PM ME!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo1111 View Post
I'll just beat the snot out of it N/A then
Consider it in the future when you build a forged engine, but remember that iy will take a lot of work, dedication and money. Good Luck...

Israel

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That build is far too complex for my interest at this point. If I was going to build a high performance motor, it would be begin life as a push rod 302.

1991 Thunderbird 5.0:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
PostWhore

95 mark drivetrain will crap the bed on you. the same as the tbird trannys, and we all know they are burutal. i just grabbed a 95 mark 8 and i have done the 1-2 accumulator, filter, fluid,mlps and couple weeks later i got valve body buzz. soo if u did id look into replacing it before you start modding it. not to mention the sir ride that can also go down hill very fast and get very pricey to keep it maintained. otherwise goodluck. tranny's are $500 and up and to convert to coils/springs are arounf $400. THEN id dive into doing the turbo IF you can find room to pipe like it was said before.

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The stock engine is fine for boost. I'm running 8lbs with no issues. And 100K miles is nothing for a 32V 4.6 But yeah, I highly doubt you are going to get a turbo setup to work without a lot of custom fabrication.

Thomas

1989 Cougar XR7 - 13.21 @ 102.29 -SOLD-
1993 Thunderbird SC -Awaiting Suspension-
1994 Mark VIII - 14.85 @ 93.95 -SOLD-
1996 Thunderbird Sport 15.57 @ 89.42 -Retired @ 258k-
1997 Thunderbird LX AED -SOLD-
1997 Thunderbird Sport 15.71 @ 86.89 -SOLD-
1997 Mark VIII LSC 12.97 @ 112.15 -SOLD-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in