Engine prep - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Engine prep

Obviously I don't want to throw turbos on a bone stock engine & blow it up, so I'm trying to figure out what mods I need to make first. Highflow exhaust seems pretty obvious, and I know you're generally going to have an intercooler built in to handle the heat increase but is that enough to do it? Do I need a better radiator? I was also wondering if a cold air intake be redundant. Does the cam need to be replaced beforehand, or can I let that wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to joshbea6
If you want to have the engine last as long as possible, it is usually wise to forge the entire bottom end of the engine if you are going with a forced induction set-up. An intercooler is also a good idea as you want the air charge to be cold.

1997 LX Sport 4.6L 2.73 , MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's(spare for strip use)/ PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate/ Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB/ Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/ Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelessagitator View Post
Obviously I don't want to throw turbos on a bone stock engine & blow it up, so I'm trying to figure out what mods I need to make first. Highflow exhaust seems pretty obvious, and I know you're generally going to have an intercooler built in to handle the heat increase but is that enough to do it? Do I need a better radiator? I was also wondering if a cold air intake be redundant. Does the cam need to be replaced beforehand, or can I let that wait?
A turbo can work just fine on a bone stock motor if you stay under 450 hp. Cam is fine, exhaust will be part of turbo system (bigger is better), air intake will be determined by turbo placement and system layout. Most people just attach a cone filter to the turbo inlet. An air to air intercooler is the easiest way to cool the air going into the motor, but methanol injection can also be used for lower boost levels. A better radiator and cooling system would probably be helpful, but may not be necessary at stock block power levels.

You will need an upgraded fuel system and probably an upgraded ignition system.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
PostWhore

What needs to happen when you go beyond 450 hp?

Wrong forum perhaps... what about the transmission at 450+ hp?

90' Cougar Sport Edition 3.8 (RIP)
92' Cougar 25th Anniversary Edition 5.0
96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:29 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoltz13 View Post
What needs to happen when you go beyond 450 hp?

Wrong forum perhaps... what about the transmission at 450+ hp?
When I say 450 I'm talking at the crank. There are several mustang guys making that or better at the wheels on stock or near stock motors. I think the weakest link in the stock 5.0 motor is the block and those don't usually last long at power levels higher than 500 at the crank.

Better heads, cam, intake, rods, pistons and crank may raise that number a little, but the block will still be on borrowed time. Most of the budget minded guys will use a 351 block if they plan on making more power. I think they are considered reliable to around 750 hp when using a turbo. People seeking real big power from a 8.2" deck small block, will use a ford racing block or one of the other aftermarket blocks. I'm using a Dart block, with forged internals.

Depending on what power level your after, there are numerous upgrades required. For 450 hp I wouldn't be real concerned about the stock transmission, but it might not last very long. When it goes south it can be rebuilt to handle more power. My 91 SC has an AOD that doesn't have very much extra stuff and it's been holding up to more power than that for several years. All I have is a hardened inner shaft, non locking converter, deeper pan, Lentech VB, big oil cooler, some extra steels and frictions and a Kevlar OD band.

My turbo car uses a much stronger version (Lentech Strip Terminator) that's rated for a 1000 HP. Everything in the entire drivetrain except the halfshafts has been upgraded on that car.

My point was..... that if your only looking for 400-450 HP with a turbo system, it can be done with a stock motor, upgraded fuel system and probably an upgraded ignition sysem. You will also need some means of tuning the car.

Beyond that power level it starts getting expensive.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
PostWhore

I have a FRPP crate engine in the car now... but I'm not sure if the block is any different from stock?

The tranny was rebuilt... more clutches, kevlar OD band, bigger servo's, etc.

90' Cougar Sport Edition 3.8 (RIP)
92' Cougar 25th Anniversary Edition 5.0
96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in