true deals and turbo charging? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
true deals and turbo charging?

I want to run true duels all the way to the tip as my exhaust system so won't I need to run two smaller twin turbos rather than a single large turbo? just some of the thoughts floating around my head for the future

98% of teens have turned to rap; if your one of the 2% who still listen to "real" music copy this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
yeh im pretty sure that's a dumb question and i think i already know the answer just to be sure I'll ask though haha

98% of teens have turned to rap; if your one of the 2% who still listen to "real" music copy this
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Poster

If you would like all 8 cyls exhaust to power the exhaust turbine on a single turbo, than no, you won't be able to have a true dual engine back setup because in a typical setup you would have to couple the exhaust coming from the block first so that it can enter the exhaust side of the turbo, and then exit the turbine into the exhaust and be split from their.

On a dual turbo setup, you can run each turbo separately and then couple the compressed air either before the FMIC, or get an FMIC that has two entrances and one exit that than delivers the ambient temp compressed air into the TB, unless you have a car that is running twin or multiple throttle bodies, which your 95 tbird does not. With this setup, you can run a true dual engine back exhaust system, although it sort of loses the meaning once you are running boost.

Hyundai Tiburon GT, 2.7l V6:
Ark DT-S dual exhaust, headers, Injen SRI, TWM short throw shifter, TWM weighted shift knob, drilled/slotted rotors, DC front and rear STBs, 6000K HIDs, SAFC 2, Tuscani Badging, Espelir Springs, ark black shorty antenna, 5Zigen FN01r-C wheels, full urethane motor mounts, NGK Iridium, 8.5 magnecore wires, NGM Sniper supercharger MP62, APE traction bars...

Mercury Cougar XR-7, 3.8l V6:
nothing, that's why I'm here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

yeh I kinda of knew that just needed reassurance lol, btw I planning on using a Mark VIII engine which has a twin TB so I need not worry about that, Yeh if i ever run torbos which I plan too some where down the road I definitely need a twin turbo set up not only b/c I want to run dual exhaust but I need my power in the lower rpm band b/c the Mark DOHC engine makes most of it's power up top and doesn't really have lower end power and so smaller twins is my path, but first, i have an engine to rebuild, just needed to get the basics down which I have now, thanks

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Poster

also, what is your goal? Do you just want to have a true dual engine back exhaust just so you can say you have one, or for more power? Same question for either a single turbo or a twin turbo setup, what are your goals? Most people run a twin turbo not because it produces more power, but a) to say they have one, or b) to deliver power more efficiently and reduce turbo lag by having one turbo set up to run boost quicker and the other to turbo offset to deliver power higher up in the powerband. With the twin turbo setup, MOST of the times, you will not have a dyno queen, but you will probably have a very nice powerband. With a single monster turbo setup, especially on a v8, you will have more lag, especially since the exhaust has to travel further before any boost is created, but the end result is a more efficient larger turbo that will create a crazy amount of top end whp b/c you have 8 cyls powering a turbine instead of 4.

Ark DT-S dual exhaust, headers, Injen SRI, TWM short throw shifter, TWM weighted shift knob, drilled/slotted rotors, DC front and rear STBs, 6000K HIDs, SAFC 2, Tuscani Badging, Espelir Springs, ark black shorty antenna, 5Zigen FN01r-C wheels, full urethane motor mounts, NGK Iridium, 8.5 magnecore wires, NGM Sniper supercharger MP62, APE traction bars...

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrokr1701 View Post
yeh I kinda of knew that just needed reassurance lol, btw I planning on using a Mark VIII engine which has a twin TB so I need not worry about that, Yeh if i ever run torbos which I plan too some where down the road I definitely need a twin turbo set up not only b/c I want to run dual exhaust but I need my power in the lower rpm band b/c the Mark DOHC engine makes most of it's power up top and doesn't really have lower end power and so smaller twins is my path, but first, i have an engine to rebuild, just needed to get the basics down which I have now, thanks
twin throttle bodies huh? Definitely makes running a twin turbo setup sound more interesting.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

NO production Mark VIII ever had twin throttle bodies. Period.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
NO production Mark VIII ever had twin throttle bodies. Period.
good to know.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

well I'm sorry thats what I was told, I haven't bothered looking at my engine yet b/c I'm still organizing my tools, lol i'll go look when i get off, and ijust realized i put true"deals" in my heading which is supposed to be true duals, lol my bad, lotta stuff i gotta do today.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrokr1701 View Post
I want to run true duels all the way to the tip as my exhaust system so won't I need to run two smaller twin turbos rather than a single large turbo? just some of the thoughts floating around my head for the future
Most exhaust systems use an X pipe or and H pipe tying the two sides together, which ends up doing pretty much the same thing as running a big single pipe and splitting off to duals just prior to the rear axle. Mine has a single turbo with a 3" downpipe, then it increases to 3.5" just past the starter, and splits off to dual 3" near the rear.

If your serious about doing a turbo some day, then spend some time now educating yourself. A good source of info is turbomustangs.com go there and read for a couple months.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
If your serious about doing a turbo some day, then spend some time now educating yourself. A good source of info is turbomustangs.com go there and read for a couple months.
David
Couldn't agree more, if you really plan on doing a boosted application, get educated first, it'll save you time, money, and frustration later on. I'll be honest, your question today alone means you definitely should do some reading on the subject. Personally, I encourage reading actual tried and true literature so you can tell what is bs out there on forums and who actually knows accurate info to share with you. A must read IMO if you are doing a custom turbo setup is Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost". Here's a pdf file for it:
http://www.sufi.cc/Maximum_boost.pdf

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
you have alot of reserach to do. if you want a turbo under the hood do a single kit it will cost less and be easier to setup. and yes you can have dual exhaust with a single turbo

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
you have alot of reserach to do. if you want a turbo under the hood do a single kit it will cost less and be easier to setup. and yes you can have dual exhaust with a single turbo
plus a single turbo would be easier to tune than a twin turbo setup, if he's going sequential.

but if I'm understanding his question accurately, he was wondering if you can have a true dual, or engine back dual exhaust, which he wouldn't be able to on a single turbo, although, yes, he would be able to split it off into a dual afterwards. Unless you know some secret that I'm unaware of like a twin exhaust turbine turbo or something.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
PDL2MDL

You can have a dual exhaust with a single turbo although there will always be Y pipe with a single turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjdto07tuk
LX w/ true duals, cutouts
cone filter

Bird is gone replaced by an LS1.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4 View Post
You can have a dual exhaust with a single turbo although there will always be Y pipe with a single turbo.
Ditto.

There's only one outlet on one turbo.

And THEN there's probably a most important question riding shotgun with this....
just where are you planning to put this turbo(s)? Believe me, I've mapped this idea out a bit. Dodge 2.2 turbos are easy to come by, and given a proportional factory turbo size to displacement, are perfect for a 4.6L if run as a dual setup, in my opinion. (and they're water-cooled to boot. Skip the GM equivilants) Some here have managed to get one or two (possible aftermarket) turbos in there, but I can almost guarantee that it isn't gonna look factory. Either way, you either have metal fab skills to D.I.Y. as much as you can, or a fat checkbook to counter.

Delete my account.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You could fit a single MP70 where the air box is you will also need to delete the ac build custom manifolds and hot side parts. Cold side plumbing, wastegate, intercooling, fuel system upgrades, possibly ignition upgrades and for big power lots more will have to be upgraded it can get spendy

51 Mack A51T restoration
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
You could fit a single MP70 where the air box is you will also need to delete the ac build custom manifolds and hot side parts. Cold side plumbing, wastegate, intercooling, fuel system upgrades, possibly ignition upgrades and for big power lots more will have to be upgraded it can get spendy
Stock ford ignition should work up to 400HP last time I've hear. If you plan on going beyond 500hp, then you do...
One thing though, it's not cheap. So be prepared to spend lots of money...

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
I only trust two people in this Turbo thread.....bill and Senor Neibert. Everything else I am hearing is a bunch of useless hodgepodged info without much to back it up.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:41 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Well, after a little measuring and "dummying up" under the hood, I think it is indeed possible to have two turbos under the hood here. One in the stock battery location (moving the battery to say, the trunk), and one over in the stock airbox location (obviously deleting the whole shebang in lieu of the complete turbo air intake system). Would take some creative fabbing to plumb, but it could cetainly be done. Keep in mind though I'm choosing and using the stock mopar 2.2L Turbo as my own personal dimension guidelines simply because of my familiarity of those, so YMMV for whatever aftermarket setups you may have.

Now, my next thorn here would be heat. You can bet that the paint will blister and peel right off the hood where the turbos are.....might have to get creative with some vents of sorts on the hood over where the turbos are located, keeping the airflow working to exchange the heat while still keeping any rain and wet from dripping down on the hot stuff.

Delete my account.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i built two front mounted setups with flipped JBAs and the chrysler Tb03s and had one of them running. The chrysler T3s have a .42/.48 ar housings they spool quick. My 4.0 spools one chrysler T3 by just under 2K. You will have to make flanges for the inlet as no aftermarket T3 flange will fit ( they use a special chrysler specific T3 flange)

with this setup below i could still run the radiator just tilted froward at the bottow. as for heat even if there an inch from the hood wrap them in a turbo blanket and they should be fine.

51 Mack A51T restoration
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rollingthunder4000
tt281 LUVVSSS his turbos, of course in the end don't we all? haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in