Garret AR 50 T-70 - general question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garret AR 50 T-70 - general question

Hi everyone,

A friend at work has a low-mileage turbo that they are willing to part with cheap, as they haven't used it for some years and have no plans on using it.

It was on a stock engine, they ran it for a while but took it off before they blew the engine up. (It was on a Prelude, for what it matters).

They did tell me it needs the exhaust plate (I just said okay, being uneducated on these).

So anyhow, this would NOT be for my 4.6, but for my Chevy small block (350).

They want 200 for it.

My questions are this.
A) is this a good deal? (assuming it doesn't need to be rebuilt, but given it was running for only a short time on a stock car, I imagine it's in good shape).

B) where can I find some specific info on this (like with that exhaust plate?)

C) any other tips would be helpful!!

Thanks!

Enhanced/J-Modded AOD-E transmission by Darrin.
'04 Maurader Torque Converter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
High boost on stock internals is like a hot chick with STDs, everyone wants to hit it, but afraid of the consequences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Too much in my opinion. Look on ebay and you get a newer, better turbo cheaper or for around the same price..

As for the plate, you need the specific model of the turbo and research it on ebay or google. Just read teh title again and if it's a T70, look for it on ebay, you will find what you need there.

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks for the reply TX, could you give me some links or something I can read on turbo basics. I understand that there's a "balance" on what size/flow a turbo should be to optimize it's use with an engine.

And if it's not too much to ask, when you said "better", how so? Can you setup any comparisons between the two for me?

Lastly, I guess that prices in turbos have fallen quite a bit? I was told that they spent over 800 on it when they got it new? I don't have any reason to doubt this person, as they weren't looking to sell it, just came up in conversation.

Thanks!

Quote:
High boost on stock internals is like a hot chick with STDs, everyone wants to hit it, but afraid of the consequences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
http://www.turbomustangs.com/knowledge.php

Read up buddy.. You have A LOT to read... Focus on the turbo bible. Good info..

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Thats a good deal if its in good condition you couldnt get a master power T-70(brazilian garret knock off for less than 600. The garret T70 go for around 1000$+ new. Just do you research on the turbocharger and check for ply...in and out and side to side play. a little side to side play is good and normal in and out play is bad and is usually bad thrust seals. You may need to purchase a different exhaust housing for the larger motor. If a brand new turbocharger is going on ebay for only 200$ you can be sure its a chinajunk built turbo that sometimes have horrible castings, wrong dimensions, and poor quality materials.....

There are different trims for the T70 so do you research on the specific models

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Hey guys,

Thanks for the posts! For some reason I didn't get an email telling me there were any updates... I happened to check back just on a whim. Glad I did!

TX - thank you very much for the link!

TT281 - You are very close to what they said they originally paid for it. When you say "side to side play" do you mean if I were to try to "rock" the blades on their spindle, or literally shove it side to side, moving the spindle with it?

Unless they forgot to bring it, I'll be getting it today, and I'll post up everything that's stamped on the outside of the thing - the information I originally posted is what they told me it was (Garrett T-70 AR 50).

Thanks again!

Quote:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinten View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the posts! For some reason I didn't get an email telling me there were any updates... I happened to check back just on a whim. Glad I did!

TX - thank you very much for the link!

TT281 - You are very close to what they said they originally paid for it. When you say "side to side play" do you mean if I were to try to "rock" the blades on their spindle, or literally shove it side to side, moving the spindle with it?

Unless they forgot to bring it, I'll be getting it today, and I'll post up everything that's stamped on the outside of the thing - the information I originally posted is what they told me it was (Garrett T-70 AR 50).

Thanks again!
Strongly suggest you get all the info on the turbo and make sure it's a good match for the motor you are planning to use it with, before buying.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

I plan on doing so, the hard part is finding some definitive information to do just that. I've tried searching for variations on the information I have (stated in previous post), but haven't found anything.

What would be stamped on the turbo somewhere that'll give me more information to search with AND where would I go to find out if this is a good match up for my engine?

Thanks!

Quote:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinten View Post
I plan on doing so, the hard part is finding some definitive information to do just that. I've tried searching for variations on the information I have (stated in previous post), but haven't found anything.

What would be stamped on the turbo somewhere that'll give me more information to search with AND where would I go to find out if this is a good match up for my engine?

Thanks!
Go here and post your questions in Newbie Tech.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

Stuff like exhaust housing type..T3 or T4 on center or tangial, AR and outlet diameter along with compresser inlet and outlet diameters along with any info on the ID tag of the turbo will be helpful to ID exactly what turbo it is. Photos of the turbo will also be helpful.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks David!

As soon as I get the pics taken I'll go ahead and hit that link and post up all the requested info.

Quote:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Ditto on what David said. Even with my turbo all apart and measured, it took Preston and I quite a while to figure out specifically what it was. STS didn't have or couldn't find specific record of what they sold me. (no surprise there)

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Alright guys, I'm waiting for thetubroforums to get me my account activation, so while I'm waiting on that, I figured I'd post some links to pictures I took (I apologize for the quality, if anyone needs better pictures of anything, let me know and I'll borrow ShadowDragons camera).

Also here is all the info stamped on the outside of the thing and where.

On the turbine housing - M12 Garrett A/5 50 1

On a plate mounted on the secontion connecting the
turbine housing to the compressor housing - 700382-5020 IDM022247

On the compressor housing - Garrett .86 T712

Let me know what you guys think! The blades spin very well, and have no "play" in them at all.

Quote:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

that turbo seems to be of the Gt-30 family of medium frame turbochargers. Im willing to bet without ev en running numbers that you will need two of those
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob..._700382_20.htm

51 Mack A51T restoration
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thank you so much! I could not find the model on the site for the life of me, but I was typing in the whole thing in my search, 700382-5020, which is probably why I was getting no results!

Now at least I know I need to move on to something bigger...

Thankfully I had started reading up on Garretts site, and I think this is the one I'll want to go with - GT4088R 751470-1 , but it's "free float", so I'll need to get an aftermarket wastegate, and it's oil & water cooled... now I know what the oil cooled part means, but the water cooled - does that mean it'll be piped into my radiator as well? Or is there were the intercooler stuff comes in?

Thanks again for tracking down the info!

*edit* I just noticed that with the next few models on the site, the 751470-2 -3 and -4 the only difference in them is the Turbine A/R, going from .85 to 1.19. How does that impact the performance of the unit?

Quote:

Last edited by Trinten; 01-01-2009 at 03:24 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yes water cooled means water is also pumped thru the center section from the cooling system

51 Mack A51T restoration
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Hey TT,

Thanks for the info. Sorry to bug you with more questions, but with the watercooled, does that mean it has it's own seperate watercooling system with the use of the intercooler? or is it piped into the radiator somehow?

Any thoughts on my question about the various models of Garretts? with the A/R size and such? I thought it was odd because the listing was still showing the same range of horsepower.

And I'm not just trying to pester you guys, I'm running stuff by guys on the theturboforums, but another perspective or more information rarely hurts.

Quote:
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The watercooling to the turbocharger is plumbed thru the motors coolling system. Some plumb it thru T fittings in the heaters hoses or other collant ports on the head, or intake.

The intercooler your thinking of is a air to water intercooler which uses its own cooling circuit not engine coolant.

As far as the turbopcharger goes it has alot to do with CFM that a turbocharger can flow. Without even running the maps Its obvious that you would need two of those turbochargers as page I linked above says displacement of 1.8-3.0L, You of course have a 5.7L 350ci V8. The Gt30 also has a T-25 turbine housing which is a turbine housing that is ran on many oem 4cyl setups. If you only had on of these it would be overspinning the unit to make boost and the turbine housing will be choking the motor out with that t-25 housing. two of those woudl work but Im willing to bet you can fidn a better pair or single turbo that will do the job. Take your time to search theturboforums to see what the other SBC guys are running.

51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in