Need Turbo advice (secret project!) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Need Turbo advice (secret project!)

Hello everyone.
I don't own an mn12 anymore. But, when I was visiting here on a regular occasion I noticed some of you were very knowledgeable in the field of turbocharging. So, I have a project that I can't fully disclose. I need some help in turbo selection as the application is far from conventional and the normal selection procedure doesn't completely apply. Here are the parameters I'm working with: Turbo is being fed by a 5.0L engine that sees a maximum of about 5000 rpm. The turbo IS NOT feeding the intake of the engine and is in no way being utilized to enhance power. I need a temperature rise of no more than 100deg F. (my calculations tell me no more than 4psi, sound right) . This will be flowing air through a vessel with a constant restriction value, not yet determined, but relatively low. I am aware that I am asking a turbo to do a job that it wasn't designed for by flowing large volumes of air at minimal pressure. That being said, I need as much CFM as possible beginning as low in the rpm range as possible. Again, the boost pressure is not near as important as cfm as long as it doesn't exceed a value that will produce more than 100degF temp rise. Will a larger unit flow considerable CFM at low (less than 4psi) numbers or will it not flow much cfm at all until higher psi can be attained. Ideally, I would like to see 1000 cfm below 4psi from just offf idle to redline, but I know that is no where near realistic. A more realistic figure might be 500cfm at 4psi at as low of an rpm as possible. I thank all of you in advance for your input. I know this is a million miles "outside the box" I am new to turbos and there is a great wealth of information available, but I am having difficulty relating all of this information to my situation. I look forward to your input.
Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM
PostWhore

I think your going to have a problem making any boost at low rpms, because you need the extra exhaust energy that comes from force feeding the motor with air from the compressor and putting the motor under a load, to generate enough hot exhaust gas to keep the turbo spooled.

Suggest discussing your requirements with one of the turbo manufacturers.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
it would probally need a very small turbine with a sizeable compressor?

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Veteran Poster

Is this engine in a vehicle, or on a stand of some sort? I think I have an idea of what you're trying to do, the problem is that I think a belt-driven supercharger might work better for what you're doing, or trying to do.

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
I think your going to have a problem making any boost at low rpms, because you need the extra exhaust energy that comes from force feeding the motor with air from the compressor and putting the motor under a load, to generate enough hot exhaust gas to keep the turbo spooled.

Suggest discussing your requirements with one of the turbo manufacturers.

David
I figured this would be a problem. I really have no idea what kind of cfm the compressor will move with it not feeding an engine that is ingesting the charge. I really think this is just going to have to be a try and see deal. I'm just hoping to at least guess somewhere in the right direction anyway. As far as discussing requirements with a manufacturer, I thought of that, but I intend on using a readily available surplus (junkyard, or someones cast-off from an upgrade) unit. I don't really expect a manufacturer to advise me if I am not purchasing from them.
Thanks for the input David
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
Is this engine in a vehicle, or on a stand of some sort? I think I have an idea of what you're trying to do, the problem is that I think a belt-driven supercharger might work better for what you're doing, or trying to do.
This engine will be in a vehicle, but will likely be tested on a stand. I agree that functionally a belt driven supercharger will likely work betterfor my purpose. However, the engine has no provisions for accessory belt drives. That's why the exhaust driven turbocharger was chosen.
Thanks for the input EMoD.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
it would probally need a very small turbine with a sizeable compressor?
Okay, I've thought of that, but again, I am new to the turbo game, let alone such an oddball application of such. Is there a readily available unit that would fit this description that I could look for?
Thanks for the input
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well, I am thinking I just need to take an educated (sort of) guess and try something to get a baseline and go from there. I have seen T3 units from 2.5 Chryslers available pretty cheap. I may try to pick one up. I will also need the wastegate set at 4psi and I think I need a manual boost controller so I don't lose airflow below 4psi. Please advise, good, bad or whatever.
Thanks,
Brad
P.S. TT281, you should have 40 or 50 turbos laying around, care to spot me one? (just joking, man)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
two Te04h 13c mitsu turbos may work as they have tiny turbine housings and would spool up quick as far as how fas they will fill what your trying to fill will depend on volume/rate of consumption. The mitsus im talking about have 8lb wastegates so you would have to moddify the swing valve arms to reduce the PR. ANother area to look into is diesel turbos. The one reason people dont use diesel turbos on gas applications is that they have tiny turbine housings for quick spool and large compressors as a diesel needs the air quick for there limited rpm range.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in