So I thought I'd share my build with y'all. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
DSM
1st Gear Poster

So I thought I'd share my build with y'all.

So as a few of y'all know, I've been looking for a 95-97 thunderbird sport for a buildup of a street machine sleeper.

95-97 modular, and first things first I'll show you what I have planned up and parts compilation that I'll be throwing on as soon as I get a good candidate for the parts I've acquired.

Let's see if you all can determine where this is going.

ported exhaust manifolds -done by a friend of mine. this is a temp pic, mine are still over at his house.

uhmmm yeah garret 60mm inlet turbo, T3 housing with a Tial 38mm wastegate.

to cool things off....

[IMG]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large
/sum-g4985.jpg[/IMG]

Got one of these from summit arriving to my door here soon. reasons why is due to oil filters being a pain in the ass on T-birds, and also it'll make it easier to tap into the OFH so that I can make a braided SS line to the oil supply.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4985/

uhmmm also need to find a spare oil pan so that I can tap it and make a oil return/ drain from the turbo.

Got a complete universal intercooler piping set laying in my basement from a previous project from a friend of mine... wrecked the car before the turbo swap, so he gave it to me.

for exhaust, well it's going to be straight piping from the turbo to single 3in all the way out to the back, with a summit bullet muffler like this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630810/?rtype=10

Oh well, back to the search for a good candidate.

Last edited by DSM; 04-05-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
DSM
1st Gear Poster

actually, I might have to look into a set of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=230369548791

these are a t4 foot though, so I'll be looking or constructing my own from my manifolds. who knows... I'll figure that out when I get my t-bird.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I'm not going to rain on your parade too much but this thread should be moved from 4.6 tech to turbos, also those exhaust manifolds that you linked won't work without modifying the steering shaft. These are thunderbirds not mustangs, the engines are similar but the chassis is far from identical. There's a few turbo ideas floating around, use the search button and don't half a$$ it, take some time and do your homework or you'll get eaten alive like tt281 who is constatly combling together abominations of turbo builds. But, to his credit at least he's trying.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
good point Chris Murder....if that is a build, then I have two motors already put together just from blocks/heads/cranks i have laying here

but I wanna see just how "far" this goes
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
good point Chris Murder....if that is a build, then I have two motors already put together just from blocks/heads/cranks i have laying here

Sounds like my garage lol, fair enough I'm always hopeful to see progress with starts like this yet always disappointed when they don't follow through.... this one doesn't even have the car yet

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Poster

you can gladely put it on my car hell ill even help you do it. toss you some extra cash to lol
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
if it's gonna end up like some other turbo builds "showcased" here, you dont want it on your car lol
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
DSM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I'm not going to rain on your parade too much but this thread should be moved from 4.6 tech to turbos, also those exhaust manifolds that you linked won't work without modifying the steering shaft. These are thunderbirds not mustangs, the engines are similar but the chassis is far from identical. There's a few turbo ideas floating around, use the search button and don't half a$$ it, take some time and do your homework or you'll get eaten alive like tt281 who is constatly combling together abominations of turbo builds. But, to his credit at least he's trying.
I'm a fabricator by trade, I'd definately do my research beforehand and modify whatever I need to with what I've got at my shop.

I know that ye have little faith, but I've been looking for a good non rusted out POS beaten to death thunderbird 95-97 and they seem to be few and far between. I've searched these forums well enough (been a lurker for 2 yrs now) back when I had my old 93 5.0, T5 swapped T-bird that was running a 125 shot.

I'm not new to these cars, just the mod motor.

Quote:

We'll see everything go into place once I find a car worth putting my time and parts into, going far will mean that it will be completed ASAP once I get the car and get it legal/registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Sounds like my garage lol, fair enough I'm always hopeful to see progress with starts like this yet always disappointed when they don't follow through.... this one doesn't even have the car yet
I've got 3 project cars completed under my belt. Go ahead and roll your eyes, I could give a damn... like I said, this is just me sharing what I'll be doing once I FIND a car worth a F***.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickery View Post
you can gladely put it on my car hell ill even help you do it. toss you some extra cash to lol
You buy the parts, I'll do the labor and fabrication... Once I get a car completed, if you like my work we can work something out and I can reproduce it for you. Hope you're near St. Louis MO because that's where my shop is.

Quote:
if it's gonna end up like some other turbo builds "showcased" here, you dont want it on your car lol
I don't half ass ****, I do this sort of work for a living.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:15 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kaptn' Obvious Send a message via Yahoo to Kaptn' Obvious
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM View Post
I've been looking for a good non rusted out POS beaten to death thunderbird 95-97 and they seem to be few and far between.
Take a road trip to Dallas. A good clean unmolested TX (no rust) car. Shouldn't be too hard to find. If I still lived there I'd scout one for ya.

Here's one for $1300 In Ft Worthless.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1670001749.html

There are several others in this neighborhood listed. If you seriously want a decent car & run into something in the Austin area I volunteer to go scope it out for you.

In the meantime:

Mostly stock...

For now...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Here we go again, what else is new?

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
DSM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
Here we go again, what else is new?
no idea, but when you have a professional fabricator with access to a full machine shop and a custom automotive shop with access to a dyno... maybe things could come out differently.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Hey, best wishes for your build from me. I look forward to watching your progress.

Thanks for joining up to share the details of your build.

... Subscribed to this tread ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
DSM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Hey, best wishes for your build from me. I look forward to watching your progress.

Thanks for joining up to share the details of your build.

... Subscribed to this tread ...
thanks, albeit I'm still searching for a good candidate.

As soon as I pick one up, the turbo eclipse I'm driving is getting sold to put forward a good amount of funds towards the bird.

Can't wait to get back in an MN12 - I miss my 93 5.0 every day..
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
no idea, but when you have a professional fabricator with access to a full machine shop and a custom automotive shop with access to a dyno... maybe things could come out differently.
Professional fabricator ?? What do you build ?

I suppose I could call myself a professional fabricator also, I make my own tools and car parts.

Just get the car done and if you need a spare 4.6 Oil pan I have one here.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
DSM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Professional fabricator ?? What do you build ?

I suppose I could call myself a professional fabricator also, I make my own tools and car parts.

Just get the car done and if you need a spare 4.6 Oil pan I have one here.
thanks for the offer. i work at a industrial machining facility, also went to school for automotive maint and finishing up my degree in precision machining.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

As soon as I pick one up, the turbo eclipse I'm driving is getting sold to put forward a good amount of funds towards the bird.

I wish you all the good fortune in the world. IMHO, lots of people here are a tough sell, not cause they're bad people but because these boards are loaded with big dreams and little knowledge & resources. I have yet to meet anybody here in person, but when I do I hope to have made leaps and bounds on my project to show I meant business too! lol

Keep us abreast of your progress. As for finding an MN12, I see tons on craigslist all the time for around $1000 or less. That's a conundrum I face right now - I'm building up a little stockpile of mods for my Tbird, but technically I sold it to the GF (even though she hasn't paid me for it yet). You see what I mean, right? Why do I want to fix this 'Bird up when who knows when she leaves. That's why I too have been looking at beat up 'Birds for sale. It doesn't have to have an engine, tranny, or even rear subframe - I've got all that (or getting)!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:39 PM
PostWhore

Quote:

Turbocharging the 93 5.0 MN12 would be a lot easier, because the motor isn't as wide. Looking forward to seeing your project progress.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Poster

Best of luck with your search and project that follows. Keep us all informed, I would like to do this in the future so I would like lots of info and pics when you get to that.
Corey
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
good luck on your build im ditching the 4.6 soon in favor of a different motor. dont let anyone beat you down. are you keeping ac and ps? weekend warrior or daily driver? and you can just punch your current pan no need to buy another. what size is that turbine snail single t3s a little small

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Last edited by twin turbo 281; 04-10-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in