looking to build a turbo tbird...94-94...or 96-97...???? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Question looking to build a turbo tbird...94-94...or 96-97...????

Hey guys... Newbie to posting on here but long time tbird lover/owner. I have a gorgeous 94 sc that looks like it just came off the showroom floor and wanted to keep it as is besides the mods i have. Which leads me to my question/questions... I was in the market for a new project and have had 4 sc's already so i wanted to build a turbo car this time around and was wandering what if any years would be better for a single turbo setup... I have had 8 fox body mustangs all supercharged 5.0 and have never put together a turbo setup for a 4.6 motor and wanted to kno if there was any differences in the heads,block/pistons-crank,or fuel system from the 94-94/96-97 model years that would be positive or negative for a streetable daily driver. I am kinda swaying toward the 96-97 models just because i already have a 94 sc but wouldnt mind another if the motor/trans was stronger or more suiteable for a turbo setup... Also i was wandering if there were any differences in the rear/gear ratios or suspension between the generations i was looking into...? Also if anyone is running a setup or knows of a setup that someone has or has seen online i would greatly appreciate the info on it so i can look into it for my future build. The last and final thing would be what trans if any would be a direct bolt up to the 4.6 of either generation, and would the mustang trans from the same years be applicable since i do want to build a car thats manual... Thanks for taking the time to read and answer any of my questions and any info or setup/links would be greatly appreciated... Thanks again!!!!

-Danny-

Last edited by phillyninja187; 07-08-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: mispelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 PM
5th Gear Poster

look at my twin turbo and u will get some ideas ..... but its a long road and u have to make everything ur self or find some one to build it for u .. i built my own system .. it turned out really good now just need to get the motor done then she is ready to run

89 thunderbird twin turbo v6 sc 5 spd
spinningwheels-sc.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The block and rotating assembly is the same for the 4.6 MN12s, the heads for 96-97 are much improved however; they will allow for a much better choice in cams. The top end was different in 94-95 and featured a cast intake and "violin case" plenum.

The suspension on the late generation sport models features stiffer springs and larger sway bars. The rear gearing in all 96-97 cars is 3.27, gearing in the 94-95s varies with 3.08 and 3.27 being common.

The 4R70W is the standard trans mated to the 4.6; the pre-99 transmissions aren't the best to start with, but the 96-97s are okay whereas the 94-95s are absolute junk. Some stick swaps include the T45, T56, TR3650 among others. Check out the stick swap section in the drivetrain area for ideas.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The 94/5 block is different in that it doesn't have full crossbolting at the 5th main cap. Cranks are supposedly lighter too.

There's not much room for turbos with a 4.6, the only one here who's truly dabbled with any success is twinturbo281, that's in the engine bay at least. Sirwilliam has a remote STS kit

-Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Poster

Http://www.theturboforums.com

check out this site, it gave me everything I needed to know about turbocharging my car and there is a $*it ton of useful info. You can also talk to other members that did their own.

1991 Cougar LS : 5.0L HO Swap, Ported&Polished Intake/Pleanum, E-303 Cam, Ford Racing Dizzy, 9mm Ford Racing Wires, 1.7 Rollers, Crane Rods, EGR Delete, JEGS Equal Length Headers, 2.5" True Duals w/ Super 44 Series Mufflers, Magnaflow Hi-Flo Cats, Custom Cold Air Intake, March U/D Pulley Set, 20" Boss 328 Wheels, 245/35ZR20 BFG, Custom Black Metal Flake Paint, Thunderbird SC Rear Bumper and Sideskirts, Custom Taillights, Clearcorner Lens', Shaved Emblems, Viper 2-way LCD Alarm.

Coming Soon: T64 Turbo System Running 10lbs Boost, 2" Lowering Kit, 42lb Injectors, 255lb/hr Fuel Pump, MSD 6A Ignition, Upgraded/Tuned EEC
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the help/info guys i think im gonna go with the 96-97 even though the interiors are the same i owned a 96 3.8 lx and loved the way it floated...Plus with the info u gave me terminator i think it will be a better choice because i plan on it being streetable and will base the whole setup around what the heads can handle. I love this forum and have had nothing but good experiences with great people like yous and plan on starting the build hopefully in late september depending on when i can find the right car for the right price...ill def document it and post the progress as i go... Once again i just wanna say thank you for the info guys and if any of you are around the philly/pa tri state area maybe catch up with yous at a show or cruize.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The 94/5 block is different in that it doesn't have full crossbolting at the 5th main cap. Cranks are supposedly lighter too.
Interesting, obviously I did not know that. I'll have to file that away. Anything else I should keep in mind while I'm at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyninja187 View Post
Thanks for the help/info guys i think im gonna go with the 96-97 even though the interiors are the same i owned a 96 3.8 lx and loved the way it floated...Plus with the info u gave me terminator i think it will be a better choice because i plan on it being streetable and will base the whole setup around what the heads can handle. I love this forum and have had nothing but good experiences with great people like yous and plan on starting the build hopefully in late september depending on when i can find the right car for the right price...ill def document it and post the progress as i go... Once again i just wanna say thank you for the info guys and if any of you are around the philly/pa tri state area maybe catch up with yous at a show or cruize.
Best of luck buddy, it'd be neat to see a turbo project actually come to completion and be on the road. There are a handful that came so close but never quite made it. It's a lot of work and time and requires a lot of patience and devotion.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Ty brandon. If you guys dont mind add me to your buddy list please so we can stay in touch easier and like i said ill def keep you updated... Im getting married in sept. So after the wedding the wife gave me the go-ahead to start my new project. Haha but i have been researching kits for the piping and everything and i found a nice front mount setup for a tbird sc i plan to use and and a few turbo kits with injectors and all from garrett and turbonetics. Im gonna use a kit from a 97 4.6 mustang gt and just fabricate all the piping myself. Im gonna try to make it a sleeper and hide everything so its clean and under the radar since the street raceing scene around me is kinda big. I plan on keeping everything on the exterior besides the hood stock and going with a set of sc wheels to keep it as OEM as possible...I told my wife she can have my lincoln LS wich is my current DD if i get to build another tbird and she was actually excited...Haha. Hopefully i can get the car before the wedding some time in august and start getting the pieces one at a time but im gonna wait to put everything on at once not piece by piece so it goes from stock to sleeper overnight. Once again thanks for all your help guys and hope to have some build info for it soon!!! By the way brandon how far away into ohio are you from pa??? Also how do u get the title under your nameex.(seasoned postwhore)??do the mods or admin change it as you post more???

Last edited by phillyninja187; 07-09-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add question
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Poster

Once you get up there in posting things I believe it just changes your title. As for your project go on eBay and they have a whole set you can buy that includes all kinds of polished piping, pre bent, straight, different elbows, ect you can buy for a great price! I picked one up for 268$ and it gave me all the piping I'm going to need for my build. You ovbiously have to make cuts and weld it all together but it should be enough piping for your needs.

1991 Cougar LS : 5.0L HO Swap, Ported&Polished Intake/Pleanum, E-303 Cam, Ford Racing Dizzy, 9mm Ford Racing Wires, 1.7 Rollers, Crane Rods, EGR Delete, JEGS Equal Length Headers, 2.5" True Duals w/ Super 44 Series Mufflers, Magnaflow Hi-Flo Cats, Custom Cold Air Intake, March U/D Pulley Set, 20" Boss 328 Wheels, 245/35ZR20 BFG, Custom Black Metal Flake Paint, Thunderbird SC Rear Bumper and Sideskirts, Custom Taillights, Clearcorner Lens', Shaved Emblems, Viper 2-way LCD Alarm.

Coming Soon: T64 Turbo System Running 10lbs Boost, 2" Lowering Kit, 42lb Injectors, 255lb/hr Fuel Pump, MSD 6A Ignition, Upgraded/Tuned EEC
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I'm pretty much halfway between Cleveland and Lorain on the lake. It's about a 2-1/2 hour drive from here to Pittsburgh. As far as the title under the name, you can change it yourself once you become a paid member but otherwise it changes as you increase your post count:

Newbie: < 24
1st gear poster: 25 - 59
2nd gear poster: 60-119
3rd gear poster: 120-199
4th gear poster: 200-349
5th gear poster: 350-499
6th gear poster: 500-699
Veteran poster: 700-849
Seasoned veteran poster: 850-999
Postwhore: 1000-1999
Seasoned postwhore: > 2000

-Brandon

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thumbs up

thanks for the info guys and ill check out ebay for that piping kit bro im gonna use a sc front moutn setup and use whatever piping i can from that as well u guys have been a huge help and i thank you both for taking the time to answer all my questions!! If you want please add me to your buddy list i added both of you already. Also i checked out that website fior the turbo builds and there was alot of sick builds ducumented on there and i plan on useing the info i found to help with mine as well...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Boost!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyninja187 View Post
thanks for the info guys and ill check out ebay for that piping kit bro im gonna use a sc front moutn setup and use whatever piping i can from that as well u guys have been a huge help and i thank you both for taking the time to answer all my questions!! If you want please add me to your buddy list i added both of you already. Also i checked out that website fior the turbo builds and there was alot of sick builds ducumented on there and i plan on useing the info i found to help with mine as well...

sweet !!! take lots of pics and keep us posted.ive been seriously thinking about a turbo setup myself .there arent really that many that have done it with a 4.6 tbird

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by modularbird View Post
sweet !!! take lots of pics and keep us posted.ive been seriously thinking about a turbo setup myself .there arent really that many that have done it with a 4.6 tbird
will do blake its just a matter of finding the right car at this point ive done my research as far as running the piping and such just looking for a clean body to getb started with because i dont want to have to do paint and body work after sinking about 8 grand into the motor haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in