turbo donor for a single - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AtroXR7 Send a message via Yahoo to AtroXR7
turbo donor for a single

Ok, car is all payed off, soon xmas will be over and im getting close to being out of debt. That means its time to start spending money and gathering parts. Im running a 96 cougar 4.6. The plan is an SHM rotating assembly (not dead set on this yet) stage 1 or 2 NPI comp cams (i forget which i was planning, hdd crash wiped out all my research) and Im going single turbo. Twin T03's sound fun but the final plan of the car wont allow dual exhaust (dont ask, a lot of people think im crazy for the idea and Im not fond of the response I get for my more radical ideas from this site)

Im going to take out the A/C and relocate the coolant resivoir to make room for everything to go on the passenger side with intercooler plumbing. I only use the A/C like 3 times a year anyway so I wont miss it much. Im looking for a large t04 donor or similar that would be able to support my goal of 400hp. Im limiting things to 450 for safety reasons... plus i know im not ready for anything more so a T60 series is overkill, and expensive to boot.

Mainly looking to see if anyone one knows what single turbo's have worked well on 4.6's for this power range.

Also, anyone ever checked clearance on a 4.6 mn12 with the exhaust manifolds flipped to face the front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The general consensus is that there's just not enough room in the engine bay with the gargantuan 4.6 in there. Sir William has a rear-mounted turbo on his 97 Thunderbird, and as far as I know, that's the only 4.6-equipped turbocharged MN12 there is. Obviously, if you're dead-set on putting a turbo in the engine bay, and you have enough money, it's possible, but it will probably not be a cakewalk.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Contour SVT (for sale)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:49 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Flipping the manifolds isn't much of an option. There's just not enough room under the hood to make it all work.

I do have the rear mounted turbo now and am going to be selling a kit once I'm satisfied with everything. (I need to reroute a couple of pipes and relocate the wastegate) I'm only pushing 4-5lbs now but will probably up that just a bit on the stock motor. Then I'll build up a real motor and crank the boost.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Yeah Im waiting on a ford employee family member to bring me some 4.6 exhaust flanges and hopefully get those to work for me... I guess I'll have get some front wheel measurements and so on to see how far I can "cheat" the engine bay. Im pretty much looking to see where I can save money on the project cause I know its gonna put me back for some of those things "you cant do on an mn12".

Thanks for the input. Sir William, how are you handling manifold pressure sensors? or are you running things purely from the MAF?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Just the MAF. Not much need for anything else really. I've just about got it dialed in now.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

nice. running any gadgets for fuel and timing adjustments or are you computer tuning?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:53 PM

The only way to really fit a turbo under the hood of a 4.6L is to move the radiator forward 2-3" which means getting rid of the A/C (which also opens up room for piping. The 4.6L has more room between the belt drive and the raditor than the 3.8L (about1/2 more room) and playing around with a T4 turbo a few years back on my 3.8L it would touch the belt and the E-fan shroud slightly.

1996 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
-255rwhp 273rwtq-
-Vortech V1 S-trim [email protected], aftercooled-
-Built 4R70W W/3200rpm PI
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
-stock, stock, big dent, and more stock-
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:55 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtroXR7
nice. running any gadgets for fuel and timing adjustments or are you computer tuning?
SCT Pro Racer package all the way. I'm not that good with it, but I have lots of friends who are.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Im ditching the A/C anyway for intercooler piping. I've really been thinking about hacking up the inner fender for fitting. I dont like the idea of putting a turbo right in front of the serp. belt... heat and rubber dont always agree.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:50 AM
**** nuts

Send a message via AIM to ITHURTZ
Sir William, is your turbo even producing that much power? Got any dyno sheets I could take a look at
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=52400

your not going to find a good single turbo in a junkyard....we need something far bigger than most gas turbos get OEM, and too small for most diesel turbos.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:28 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

ITHURTZ, I couldn't get enough resistance on the dyno to build any boost. So the only thing I have right now is my 1/4 mile numbers. The E/T was horrible (2.3's 0-60) but it trapped out at 97.5. Using every calculator I could find, this puts it around 325-330 crank and 280-285 rwhp. And talking to others with that HP level via other methods, they concurred with the estimate.

That's also with only 3.5-4lbs of boost and a HORRIBLY rich tune (MAF needed to be clocked). So there's a LOT more to be had once I can get it ironed out a bit more.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

sounds about right from the trap

greenbird. My biggest concern with the bigger 60-1 turbos is running them in their proper efficiency range. I dont want to run over 500 hp because there is just too much to break on these cars and preventing that gets expensive. End up with one of those situations where to run the turbo on the street you just dont make enough boost to run in the right range and you end up with even more heat. The sizing really doesnt leave us with a very economical option. The smaller singles that can support 400-500hp would have some serious surge problems on a 4.6. I guess the larger singles run with lower boost wouldnt be so bad with proper shielding and maintainance. And the lower manifold pressure wont require jacking up the fuel pressure so much.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:23 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

I dunno what surging problem you think there'd be. I have no problems with mine at all....other than I want more boost. I'm wastegated to 5lbs max now. I'm losing about a pound on the trip to the intake. Once I know everything else is kosher, I'll dial it up to around 6 or 7lbs at the intake and we'll have some real fun.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yeah 5 isnt bad but that surge curve really starts hooking to the right. I think you'll run into some trouble when you rebuild that engine and turn it up around 12psi. But hey, thats only mathamtically speaking so take it with a grain. Always seems like things are different in real world applications.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in