Turbo Update #2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exclamation Turbo Update #2

I know what you guys are thinking, and I know I sound like a broken record. I was informed by HP Performance this morning that the Turbo project on my '91 SC will begins this week. I will be giving you guys information as this project unfolds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Keep us posted bro.

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Cat
Keep us posted bro.
Consider it DONE man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5150Bird
Same here...let me know how it turns out and prices us "common" folk would end up paying. Im lookin to get into a 91 SC this spring.

Later

Even Mustangs run from THUNDER
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Bird
Same here...let me know how it turns out and prices us "common" folk would end up paying. Im lookin to get into a 91 SC this spring.

Later
This week has ended, so I will call these guys on Monday to see what's up!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91
This week has ended, so I will call these guys on Monday to see what's up!
Any updates? I would really like to know how much a kit would cost and am seriously considering going for it.

90' Cougar Sport Edition 3.8 (RIP)
92' Cougar 25th Anniversary Edition 5.0
96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 AM

Any idea if this kit will fit on a 3.8 N/A?

88 T-Bird LX
93 T-Bird LX
91 T-Bird LX
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

do it yourself for 2-3K i bet
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:52 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ThunderCat
do it yourself for 2-3K i bet
I have limited mechanical experience, I can't weld and I don't have a pipe bender.... I might be inclined to get a professional installation and save the headache ! I'm not necissarily in to it for the learning experience or to prove that I am a capable hot rodder or tuner... I'm after the raw power, plus turbos and other gagets really interige me I'm just looking for a good clean installation at a decent price.

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear Poster

You don't need a pipe bender or to know how to weld. I installed two different DIY kits without a welder or a bender.

If you want bends, get onto http://www.jcwhitney.com and get them in a wide variety of diameters and mandrel (even) bends. Buy a hacksaw and hand cut them. Line the sections up with duct tape for test fitting, then use a permenant marker to mark line-up points. I used a line with a corresponding letter on either mating edge. Then take it to an exhaust shop and tell them to line them up the same way and tack them together (tacking are just tiny welds to hold it together in case you need to break them for repositioning).

Then take it to wherever on the car and see if it fits. If it does, tell the exhaust shop to weld it up all the way. BAM, you're done.

Intercooler piping is even easier. Go to a NAPA truck parts store (for the big diesels) and ask to poke around in their truck radiator hose bins. There's lots of premolded shapes to choose from. I always manage to find a hose with about two or three different bends I can use. Some of the bends you can find will help you get around tight spots. And in combination with jc whitney exhaust pipe sections and bend sections, you can make whatever airpipe configuration you need.

Image has been taken from http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/cooler.html
Courtesy of Thomas "Gus" Mahon, 1948-2002 RIP

Gus was the king of ghettorigging, and this was one of his best contributions. His tip to me and mine to you is to take 45-degree bends and use them to make even less sharp bends. Depending on where you hacksaw at in the middle of the bend, you can tack up a straight piece and redirect the angle even less than 45.

Oh, and Turbonetics can sell you the turbo stuff to weld on. Also something the exhaust shop can do. Turbo flanges, BOV flanges, etc.

-J. Arro
1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L LX V8
Bone stock engine, *partial* Xenon Body kit.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750285
PLZ HELP ME FIND A XENON FRONT LIP

I also own some Turbo Dodges, a couple turbo DSM's, a few turbo Nissans, a Toyota pickup, and a supercharged VW sportcoupe.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:21 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arro
You don't need a pipe bender or to know how to weld. I installed two different DIY kits without a welder or a bender.

If you want bends, get onto http://www.jcwhitney.com and get them in a wide variety of diameters and mandrel (even) bends. Buy a aw and hand cut them. Line the sections up with duct tape for test fitting, then use a permenant marker to mark line-up points. I used a line with a corresponding letter on either mating edge. Then take it to an exhaust shop and tell them to line them up the same way and tack them together (tacking are just tiny welds to hold it together in case you need to break them for repositioning).

Then take it to wherever on the car and see if it fits. If it does, tell the exhaust shop to weld it up all the way. BAM, you're done.

Intercooler piping is even easier. Go to a NAPA truck parts store (for the big diesels) and ask to poke around in their truck radiator hose bins. There's lots of premolded shapes to choose from. I always manage to find a hose with about two or three different bends I can use. Some of the bends you can find will help you get around tight spots. And in combination with jc whitney exhaust pipe sections and bend sections, you can make whatever airpipe configuration you need.

Image has been taken from http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/cooler.html
Courtesy of Thomas "Gus" Mahon, 1948-2002 RIP

Gus was the king of ghettorigging, and this was one of his best contributions. His tip to me and mine to you is to take 45-degree bends and use them to make even less sharp bends. Depending on where you aw at in the middle of the bend, you can tack up a straight piece and redirect the angle even less than 45.

Oh, and Turbonetics can sell you the turbo stuff to weld on. Also something the exhaust shop can do. Turbo flanges, BOV flanges, etc.
Thanks for the info... now if you could just send me the motivation

I want to go fast, I just don't want to do all the work...

Btw, People like you amaze me... I almost had a panic attack from putting a fuel pump in and a differential.... and that was before I even started! I'm not patience, not a self starter and I am an absolute perfectionist when I do a project myself... It gets done faster, more efficiently and I don't notice all the imperfections when some else does it

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear Poster

SO am I all these things, take my word for it, once you start, you just won't stop!

-J. Arro

I also own some Turbo Dodges, a couple turbo DSM's, a few turbo Nissans, a Toyota pickup, and a supercharged VW sportcoupe.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exclamation

Sorry for the delay guys! HP Performance informed me a week ago that it would be 60 days before we get to see a turbocharged thunderbird. Thanks for hanging in there with me and being patient. I am about to loose my mind over the whole deal.

Frank
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear Poster

aHEM*Bill's setup*aHEM

-J. Arro

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arro
aHEM*Bill's setup*aHEM
??? Sorry, but I can't figure out what this means?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird91
??? Sorry, but I can't figure out what this means?
Bill has a turbo mounted under his trunk (4.6 Bird). How does it work BTW?

There are a couple of Turbo SC's floating around this world already, just the owners are kinda shy.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in