How well will my car run with a turbo? - TCCoA Forums
View Poll Results: How will the turboed thunderbird sc run?
Mid to low 14's 1 4.17%
13 second car 8 33.33%
12 second car 10 41.67%
11 second car 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

How well will my car run with a turbo?

There was a poll on the SCCOA's polls forum about my upcoming turbocharged supercoupe. People over there seem to have various opinions, but I am also interested in what you guys think.

The car will have the following upgrades:
Turbo (or turbos)
Blow off valve
Possible Alcohol Injection
Custom front mount intercooler
N/A intake
Upgraded injectors, fuel rails
255lph fuel pump
Custom radiator
Custom Exhaust
Custom turbo headers
Chip or standalone computer
Art Carr Extreme AOD w/2500 stall
slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird91
Art Carr Extreme AOD w/2500 stall
slicks
can't say from experience...but, might wanna look into another tranny....use search to see what I am talking about.

Shane
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak kid
can't say from experience...but, might wanna look into another tranny....use search to see what I am talking about.

Shane
Too late for that. I already spent 2K on it and had it installed before the car left for New Mexico and HP Performance. I can only cross my fingers at this time and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
How are we to make a guess? You didn't put how much boost you were planning on running? Nothing about if it is going to be stock bottom end or not? The car should run low 12's with decent boost(350rwhp or so). If you put a nice bottom end under it and turn up the boost then I think you will really see what it is capable of. I wonder what kind of effect the intake is going to have on the car? If I was to take a guess I would say that you are going to have a huge amount of midrange torque.

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bird
How are we to make a guess? You didn't put how much boost you were planning on running? Nothing about if it is going to be stock bottom end or not? The car should run low 12's with decent boost(350rwhp or so). If you put a nice bottom end under it and turn up the boost then I think you will really see what it is capable of. I wonder what kind of effect the intake is going to have on the car? If I was to take a guess I would say that you are going to have a huge amount of midrange torque.
I am hoping for around 13-18psi, because the stock Supercoupe can handle boost in that ballpark.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 05:36 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 1997T-Bird Send a message via Yahoo to 1997T-Bird
Heres my response...

FAST....

..VERY fast.

Currently: 2004 Honda Civic Ex 5 Speed
17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TbirdSims
Talking

You should go with This Set up! Supercharged Twin Turbo

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Poster

Well heres the thing, boost doesn't matter. Boost is the amount of backpressure that is present in your intake. Thus if you have high flowing heads and intake vs. stock heads and intake it will show up as more boost eventhough your wastegate is set for the same amount. Also 13 lbs of boost from a T-3 turbo will not be the same power as 13 lbs from say a PT-44. The bigger turbo should make more power at lower boost, because it will move more air. The real determining factor will be in turbo size and strength of your bottom end. Do you have any idea of what size turbo will be used? If the right turbo is used and the bottom end is strong you could make as much power as you want. I like the idea, it should run much better than with the blower.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrob
Well heres the thing, boost doesn't matter. Boost is the amount of backpressure that is present in your intake. Thus if you have high flowing heads and intake vs. stock heads and intake it will show up as more boost eventhough your wastegate is set for the same amount. Also 13 lbs of boost from a T-3 turbo will not be the same power as 13 lbs from say a PT-44. The bigger turbo should make more power at lower boost, because it will move more air. The real determining factor will be in turbo size and strength of your bottom end. Do you have any idea of what size turbo will be used? If the right turbo is used and the bottom end is strong you could make as much power as you want. I like the idea, it should run much better than with the blower.
That really makes sense to me. I will be going with a stock Supercoupe bottom-end at first just to demonstrate to others the potential. I am building a really strong bottom end in my garage, and I will be going with some Coy Miller "R" heads next year. HP Performance has not informed me of what size blower they will be using yet. I understand that they plan to select the right turbo by properly sizing it to the 3.8 SC engine.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Poster

Wow I really think you should have some input on what turbo should be used, considering only you know how much power you want to make. I have seen an SC put 320hp to the wheels with a stock engine, but it did pop a few head gaskets. It had ported heads, blower pulley, and nitrous. The turbo is a far better way to go in my opinion than the blower. Its a really cool idea. Since you are planning a stronger engine in the future I would suggest you pick a turbo that will support the hp you plan on making with that engine. That way you can simply run more boost to increase the power on the new engine. I would suggest a 60-1. They are relatively inexspensive and will support up to 550 hp.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrob
Wow I really think you should have some input on what turbo should be used, considering only you know how much power you want to make. I have seen an SC put 320hp to the wheels with a stock engine, but it did pop a few head gaskets. It had ported heads, blower pulley, and nitrous. The turbo is a far better way to go in my opinion than the blower. Its a really cool idea. Since you are planning a stronger engine in the future I would suggest you pick a turbo that will support the hp you plan on making with that engine. That way you can simply run more boost to increase the power on the new engine. I would suggest a 60-1. They are relatively inexspensive and will support up to 550 hp.
Thanks Dude!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:17 PM
PostWhore

I said 11's, but it's really hard to say and depends a lot on traction... I've seen cars on the track with a lot of power that spun the whole way down the line because they didn't hook up... I guess in that case a bit of turbo lag wouldn't be a bad thing!

90' Cougar Sport Edition 3.8 (RIP)
92' Cougar 25th Anniversary Edition 5.0
96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoltz13
I said 11's, but it's really hard to say and depends a lot on traction... I've seen cars on the track with a lot of power that spun the whole way down the line because they didn't hook up... I guess in that case a bit of turbo lag wouldn't be a bad thing!
That's true, but I plan on a new set of slicks to set things straight. My insurance agent is so cool that he agreed to sponsor half the cost of the tires!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mannysc
itll turn 13s quit dreaming Frank! lol polls dont make a car fast lets wait and see.

so calif supercoupe parts fabricator
msd inverted blower [email protected]
http://community.webshots.com/user/mannysc
Mannysc 's paysite for paypal
http://http://www.freewebs.com/mannysc1991/index.htm
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysc
itll turn 13s quit dreaming Frank! lol polls dont make a car fast lets wait and see.
LOL Manny! So I guess since you predict 13's means i'm dreaming. I'm glad to know that you seem to know something that the rest of us don't about Turbo's.

OK! Since you started a poll over on SCCOA and half agree that the car will run 13's or slower YOU WIN!

I am really confused if have offended anyone about this situation because reality is that I am only trying to mod this car in an effort to reach my goals. If I have offended anybody by asking HP Performance for a 12 second car, I apologize if they deliver me one as promised.

So, SORRY (in advance).

P.S.- Funny how this poll looks a hell of a lot different than the one over at SCCOA.

Last edited by dirtybird91; 02-12-2005 at 01:31 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

yeah different people turbo dudes know turbos and blower guys think limited.

I hope it turns 12s I figure if we down play it they at hp will make sure it does better than we ever expected , shoot it has to or they look lame.

they have future costumers at stake so it better make a m90 look like a childs toy. and really make it look bad or its a waste of time and money.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysc

they have future costumers at stake so it better make a m90 look like a childs toy. and really make it look bad or its a waste of time and money.
HEHE. You are right Manny. I agree, but we are not just after the M90. We want to make the other blowers look silly too.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:42 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91
HEHE. You are right Manny. I agree, but we are not just after the M90. We want to make the other blowers look silly too.
And with any reasonable effort you will... there's no reason a turbo car cannot out perform a SC and be more efficient while doing it!

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoltz13
And with any reasonable effort you will... there's no reason a turbo car cannot out perform a SC and be more efficient while doing it!
You are right about that Stoltz13. Turbo is definately the way to go, and I am really glad to be a part of something like this. Kudos to you others with turbo cars that are resoursful enough to live outside the box.

Don't get me wrong, you have others like XR7Dave who is making bold positive moves away from the M90 and I have nothing but respect for him. But what gets my goat is when you try something new and someone comes out the woodwork and tells you why it won't work. So much negativity. I don't want to know about what does not work. I am concerned with what CAN and will work. Now with that being said, it's not like we are trying to reinvent the wheel around here. LOL, ricers, buick guys, and pontiac guys have already proven this recipe over and over again!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91
You are right about that Stoltz13. Turbo is definately the way to go, and I am really glad to be a part of something like this. Kudos to you others with turbo cars that are resoursful enough to live outside the box.

Don't get me wrong, you have others like XR7Dave who is making bold positive moves away from the M90 and I have nothing but respect for him. But what gets my goat is when you try something new and someone comes out the woodwork and tells you why it won't work. So much negativity. I don't want to know about what does not work. I am concerned with what CAN and will work. Now with that being said, it's not like we are trying to reinvent the wheel around here. LOL, ricers, buick guys, and pontiac guys have already proven this recipe over and over again!
Exactly... people are just scared of anything different... so don't let it bother you!

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

LOTS of people told me mounting a turbo in the back of the car would never work too......

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
LOTS of people told me mounting a turbo in the back of the car would never work too......
I bet that setup is pretty cool. I have seem various articles where people put them on Z28's and T/A's. I have not had a chance to research your car much, but how well does it work? What's the dyno sheet look like?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:49 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

No dyno sheet yet. Still workin some misc. bugs out. Hopefully I'll have numbers by summer.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
No dyno sheet yet. Still workin some misc. bugs out. Hopefully I'll have numbers by summer.
Thanks William! I look forward to that!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear Poster

im totally scared of anything thats not stock id never try something off the wall. you got guts and muncho potential with the turbo setup. I just like riding Franks back its all in fun Im wATCHING HIS EFFORTS cant wait to see how it turns out.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 AM
4th Gear Poster

Maybe this will help you understand what it will take.
1/4 mile time. power to weight

'97 4.6...Gen II reflashed EEC, 99+ control module, J-Mod, 3:73 FRPP rear, Magnecore wires, High-flow cats, 3" into 2 2.5" Flowmasters, Nokian winter tires/BFG DRs for the summer. Oh yeah...EVO. Finally went to the strip, 14.029/99.89
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMan
Maybe this will help you understand what it will take.
1/4 mile time. power to weight
that is extremely vague. It asks nothing of power curves. I think the better idea would be to do an estimated dyno sheet on desktopdyno or something, see what it gives you, and estimate the quarter mile that way. Any knowledgable mn12 person knows what it runs like on a track according to power.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 AM
3rd Gear Poster

exactly no mention of tire size gear ratios , temps fuel, alitude, stock suspension?

ive seen stockers smoke the tires all the way , and Ive seen em grab on and launch like a prostocker. 5spd or auto , first gear ratios, s

all effect E.T.s and much more hp is not the ultimate factor!

torque why can a 70 w31 olds with 390 hp keep up with a 70 ss 454 chevelle with 450 hp? Torque also the hemi cuda lighter car 425 hp turned almost same times . why does a ss Impalla turn almost same times as a sc t bird almost same lbs but ss has 345 hp sc 210 hp .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in