Remote Mount Turbo System? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
Remote Mount Turbo System?

Something Like This

Say you hang a turbo in place of the muffler and then run some 2 inch piping for the intake, would it be worth it for just a little added pep? Grab a turbo from a volvo/saab in a junk yard get the required parts and run at 6psi on a stock 5.0L?

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:25 AM
PostWhore

Uhhhhhhhhh...that is the setup that Sir Will has. He is/was working with STS (I think) to try to fab a kit for our cars. It used to be on the turbo portion of this site but has disappeares within the past few months. It IS a good idea though.

Chris

Soon to have some MHS parts, cams, 'luminum block, lower compression, ported heads, autorotor, and need to make long tubes. I have almost all the stuff and need some #42-50s a bypass valve, and maybe a few other things.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
yep sir will says it works really well and he's only pushing about 5 lbs of boost as I recall. If I had the money I would definitely do it. But gotta build up an engine first before any boost.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 05:49 AM
PostWhore

Not for 5psi. If you were going to run anything over 6 you should AT LEAST go with better pistons. Other than that, I would not step up.

Chris

Soon to have some MHS parts, cams, 'luminum block, lower compression, ported heads, autorotor, and need to make long tubes. I have almost all the stuff and need some #42-50s a bypass valve, and maybe a few other things.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

well sir will is only running 5lbs to get all the bugs out and once everything is worked out thats when the kit is going to be getting its full boost. atleast thats what I recall from that thread where they talked about it. But even though you would see benefits from 5lbs of boost to me it really isn't worth the money to only run 5lbs of boost. If I'm going to do turbo its going to be a full blown 18lbs of boost

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i would hope the bugs have been worked out by now, hes had it on there since sept 04.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
whats the lowest ET he has gotten with 5lbs?

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:18 AM
PostWhore

I dont know. I was hoping he was going to chime in after he read this with some dazzeling new information or something...Aparently I was wrong.

Chris

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

yeah I figured he would be talkin by now... someone PM him and let him know this thread is here... maybe he missed it.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymance
whats the lowest ET he has gotten with 5lbs?

It's in the 14 second range somewhere, don't forget that he still has an NPI intake and cams though, and I'm fairly certain stock exhaust manifolds.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:05 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Well, the only time it was on the track, it hadn't been tuned at ALL, had horribly rich (off the scale) A/F, completely bald BFG street tires and the turbo wasn't broken in at all. It was doing high 14's at mid 98MPH. It was a real pig off the line as the turbo took forever to spool up.

Once the turbo was broken in and I got the A/F and timing better (still not done a dyno tune yet), it pulls MUCH harder. The turbo hits full boost by around 3400-3500 now. I've since swapped to a PI intake and cams and it really pulls nice. But I'm still only doing 5lbs. The system can develop a LOT more than that, but the wastegate blows at 5lbs. It's hard on the wastegate by around 3600-3800 and stays there til you lift.

I have no clue what kind of times it'll run as I live 4 hours from a drag strip. But I can tell you that when the temp is below 40 degrees, it breaks the tires loose above 4500rpms in first and doesn't hook back up until after the shift. Of course I am running crappy 225/60-16 Eagle GT II's (they were free) on the back right now.

From a completely bench-racing standpoint running the numbers, it should be around 315-340rwhp somewhere.

With a PNP forged motor, I think 10-12lbs would be EASY with this system. I'd guess 400-450 would be a pretty easily attainable goal. But the checkbook will come nowhere near supporting that at the moment. Maybe if Ed McMahan will give me my darned money!

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 09:15 PM
PostWhore

Soooooo...what can the rest of us expect? I mean, it IS in the works for a production right? If not...which turbo are you running. Its time to step it up on my end and I think a turbo would be really cool.

Chris

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

seawalk its a custom turbo that fits for that application... The last time we inquired on this he wouldn't say. I guess the company wouldn't let him. I can't wait for it to come out in a kit

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:27 PM
PostWhore

It shouldnt take long to map one out. I have done some research on this. The problem is I am not sure what I am going to do. I have all the stuff to set up with PI heads and the bullitt intake, but I think I am going 4v with a short stroke in an aluminum block. I need to find out where that would flow and I can build from there.

Chris

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm not saying the system is custom... I'm saying the turbo itself is custom to fit the application. So that it supplies boost but you don't sense the turbo lag so bad with it being all the way at the end of the car. The veins in the turbo, size of them, size of the turbo itself. Its all custom fabricated. And thats why its taking a while....

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
PostWhore

Uhhh...You can chose a turbo by using a turbo map. I am sure the custom is the way to go because it fits the total need of the car. However, if you chose one in the center of the map, you SHOULD only notice a differece in a race situation. It should have no ill effects on street use.

Chris

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:51 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

It's not a custom turbo, it's just a non-traditional turbine/compressor combo spec'd to specifically accommodate the cooler exhaust gasses and the displacement of our cars. It's sized to pretty easily support 425-475hp without having excessive lag down low.

I need to change a couple things about the way I have mine. Mainly the location or at least the orientation of the wastegate. Right now, it's the lowest thing on the rear of the car -- I've scraped the output pipe on it a few times.

I also need to make some changes where I go by the trans crossmember. Right now, it's the lowest point under the car. I need to do a bit of rerouting to correct that.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:20 AM
PostWhore

When can we expect to see it for sale? At least the parts. I would like topiece my own together. Do you know the size(s) or is that one of the secrets too.

Chris

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

definitely one of the secrets... I believe will is not allowed to say anything about the turbo specs itself.... like he's signed an NDA or something.

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:14 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I wonder if anybody has thought about putting a rearmount turbo on a vehicle that has a roots supercharger? You get the instantaneous torque of the blower and the high end HP of the turbo, when the blower isn't working as well.

I do know for a fact that certain Detroit Diesel motors are set up this way. They have a gear driven roots supercharger that is fed by a big Garrett turbo.

This is the same motor that is in the M109A6 Paladin Howitzer used by the Army. The Paladin is huge but, they can move (still not as fast as an Abrams or Bradley).

Still around and in Georgia.
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin
I do know for a fact that certain Detroit Diesel motors are set up this way. They have a gear driven roots supercharger that is fed by a big Garrett turbo.
You are correct that they do that, but the reason for it may not be instantaneously clear to some people though.
DD uses superchargers on their engines because they are 2 stoke engines.

It isn’t there as a performance enhancement, it is there as an integral part of the engine, and without it the engine wouldn’t run.

Turbochargers are used as performance adders with DD engines.

In terms of adding a turbo to a blown engine, the performance benefit would have to be offset against the:
1) weight gain
2) engineering time
3) low potential performance gain
4) the cost

OR you spent $100 on a shiny new smaller supercharger pulley and go have fun!

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I actually have a $30 used 2.93" Lightning pulley along with an SCT tune by Jerry himself. I'm still having issues with their tune.

There are some bad things that can happen on a returnless style system versus a return style system that all birds have and enjoy. The issue I have is intermittent hesitation going into 3rd gear. It has something to do with calculating how much fuel to leave in the fuel rail in between shifts. Once I get my car back from the dealer, I have to "prove" the problem to SCT by doing some datalogging.

I have never heard of anybody feeding a turbo into a supercharger on a gas motor.

Weight gain: The car already weighs 3600 pounds (Cobras are heavy for Mustangs), what is another 200 pounds? Equivalent to having another passenger, which, I know doesn't matter that much on the street with that car.

Engineering time: negligible, just time. Oh, wait, I am an engineer, just the electrical type.

Low potential performance gain: How do we know? Nobody has ever tried it. Of course, I won't either because I am married and this relates to number 4, cost.

That blower would be starved on the low end, but I think the system would quickly spring to life. I said think, because I don't know of anybody who has tried it. We need to get Bill a built motor and an Allen blower!

Still around and in Georgia.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM
PostWhore

I STILL WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT THE TURBO FOR OUR CARS IS GOING TO COST. They are going to screw around and wait sooo long that it wont sell. Geeez...I knew I should have bought a mustang...

Chris

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to DeeDeeArrGuy Send a message via Yahoo to DeeDeeArrGuy
wasnt there a site with sir williams turbo system pictured?

0 0
\/\/\/
/\/\/\
Impossible is for people with no imagination.
1996 Silver Ford Thunderbird LX 3.6

3" Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Removed Air Silencer
2.25" Dual Exhaust Cat-Back
Dixie Air Horn =]
Pioneer 3600 Head Unit
Soundstream Tarantula 2 5"x7" & 2 6"x9"
2 Volfenhag 800W Comp Subwoofers
Lanzar 428 4-channel Amplifier
Volfenhag 2000W 2-channel Amplifier
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 AM
PostWhore

Yeah...this one...Dunno where it went though.

Chris

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Intercooler

so what type of cooling system do you need for the remote turbo
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 AM
PostWhore

None. The piping is soo long that it acts like a cooler.

Chris

post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 AM
5th Gear Poster

but im sure an intercooler wouldnt hurt to add on. the colder the air the better

0 0
\/\/\/
/\/\/\

3" Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Removed Air Silencer
Dixie Air Horn =]
Pioneer 3600 Head Unit
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:56 PM
PostWhore

Yeah...but at what point are you not getting any cooler air? The heat sinc from the front of the engine/rad may be more than an intercooler gains. I am just speculating now.

Chris

post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:27 PM
5th Gear Poster

i havent checked for clearance yet but wouldnt the turbo assembly fit under our chassis in the middle where the resonator is?

0 0
\/\/\/
/\/\/\

3" Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Removed Air Silencer
Dixie Air Horn =]
Pioneer 3600 Head Unit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in