Rear Mounted Turbo for 96' Daily Driven Accord - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Adam B.
Rear Mounted Turbo for 96' Daily Driven Accord

Ok, this isn't really thunderbird related, but I don't know where else to ask for a knowledgable answer. I have a 96 Accord that I use for my daily driver and I want more power for everyday tasks such as merging, passing, etc. My question is this, if I were to fabricate a rear mounted type turbo system, what turbo shoud be sufficient enough for my little 2.2L sohc? I could go to an Accord board, but I have a feeling I won't get much technical information on rear mounted turbo systems. It isn't a VTEC if that makes any difference. I was hoping I could pawn one off a turbo coupe and use that? I want to go rear mounted to avoid the extra cost of an intercooler and header. Plus the added heat that the conventional turbo system creates. Please don't flame me.

Stuff goes here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Just my .02, but if you have a 2.2, then a turbo off a SVO/TurboCoupe would be perfect. They are sized for a 2.3L so they should be just about right. And they are readily available.

But they have water and oil fed to them, so that plumbing might be an issue.

If it were me, and the engine is mounted horizontally, I would mount it up front. You don't "have to" run an intercooler, it just helps a lot, but is not necessary.

Again, just my .02.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

What did the turbo coupe come with from the factory? Wasn't it a t3/t4? I know I'll need piping, air filter, oil line feed, turbo, oil pump, and maybe a tune of some kind.

Stuff goes here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
Also alot of the import guys (I have heard from my parts guy) use the stock GN turbos since they go for cheap as well

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
might also get some help on www.hondahookup.com

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Putting a turbo on the back would be usless, IMO. There're already headers to mount the turbo up front, you would just waste alot of money. I say buy the header, the turbocoupe turbo, some other lil stuff here and there and you should be good to go.

Israel

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Just out of curiosity, could you state why it would be useless. If I were to get a header and a turbo from a turbocoupe, would an intercooler be a necessity since it's driven daily?

Stuff goes here.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 PM
PostWhore

So you are after the remote mount only to not need an intercooler? You need an extra oil pump and alot of extra plumbing for a remote mount. It would be EASIER and CHEAPER to mount the turbo under the hood. Then a generic turbo would work better with hotter exhaust straight off the engine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Just out of curiosity, could you state why it would be useless. If I were to get a header and a turbo from a turbocoupe, would an intercooler be a necessity since it's driven daily?
Because you would waste alot of money in so much pipe when you can minimize it by buying the turbo header designed specially for it. Like icantdrive55, you would need to buy a pump for the oil and feed return, like Bill did, why go into so much problem when you an mount it in the front? And yes, you would need an intercooler. Bill is not using an IC becuase like he mentioned, he's using like 5ft of intercooler pipe, but I would have still put an IC. It doesnt matter if your car is a daily driver or not, either way, by boosting your stock engine it will "kill" your engine, slowly tho but surely, no matter what you do. That's my opinion, you can do what you want with your car. Bill used the STS setup, because there's not enough room to put a turbo up front, but on any honda, there's plenty of room. Hope that helps..

Israel

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

You guys missed something big...a rear mounted turbo won't want to be the same size as a bay mounted turbo. The exhaust cools, and you'd want a smaller turbo.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Cool, thanks for all the information guys. Instead of coughing up the money for a turbo, intercooler, header, etc. I may just get an underdrive pulley and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Stuff goes here.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird
You guys missed something big...a rear mounted turbo won't want to be the same size as a bay mounted turbo. The exhaust cools, and you'd want a smaller turbo.

You're right about that one, forgot to mentioned it..

Adam, I dont an UD will help that much, but you can go with a bigger exhaust and a CIA for starters.

Israel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in