turbocharge? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Arrow turbocharge?

I have a 1994 Thunderbird with the N/A 3.8L engine. Can it be turbo charged for less than a fortune? Can I get a turbocharger off some other car to use on mine? Sorry if I sound ignorant I am a newbie to the bone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:20 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Adam B.
I'm not entirely sure, but from what I've heard you can use a turbo off of a turbo coupe. You would also have to have a header that would allow you to bolt on the turbocharger.

Stuff goes here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Poster

I won't be one of those search nazi's..however you could have searched before you posted this

In short, sure it can be done..but it is not really worth while to do it to a 3.8NA.

The internals are not made for it, nor is the exhaust or anything else. Many folks will tell you to just drop the 3.8NA and buy a SC or TC. Personally I am ripping my 3.8 out and putting a 5.0 in(which is more work than anyone will ever know)

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

oh I am sure. I have done swaps before although it was just a 355 into a Camaro, I cant imagine how much work this will be. I think that is most likely going to be the route I take.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by verumgero
I have a 1994 Thunderbird with the N/A 3.8L engine. Can it be turbo charged for less than a fortune? Can I get a turbocharger off some other car to use on mine? Sorry if I sound ignorant I am a newbie to the bone.

Not worthth it. Save your money.

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

yeah after a little more research that seems to be the best option.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to JL2K7388
ive been thinking about the same set up actually, if i were able to aquire a wrecked turbocoupe with all the engine components in tact would that be most of what i needed to add the turbo into my 3.8 n/a?

96 LX 3.8

Custom air intake, 9" K&N Cone, ASP underdrive pulleys, True Duals with DI/DO midmounted Magnaflow, ported upper and lower intakes, ported TB...and more to come

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385772

-Johnny-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Cool! I see two newbies from Missouri, one is even from Kansas City!

Welcome to the site!

And, I'd hold off on the Turbocharging a NA 3.8. Just save your money, and get a SuperCoupe (if you just want the speed) or a 4.6 (if you want a good base platform for modding)

Of course having said that there are going to be all kinds of folks giving me a hard time telling me about all the power and mods they've done to the 3.8. Not knocking thier work, there are some great V6's here. But the simple truth is, its just easier and more cost effective to mod the 4.6 (or 5.0)

If you do want to keep the car you've got, look into a 4.2 swap. There are a few of those lurking around here, and they are pretty nice from what I've read.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I'll agree with most everyone else and say go either the SC route or the V8 route.

But here's some food for thought on turbocharging the 3.8L:

Exhaust plumbing will be "fun" if you plan on using only one turbo, and not twin turbos. And if you go twin, just add about 50% to the price.

From what everyone here says, (I have no personal experience on the 3.8L) the NA 3.8L will not handle boost very well. So to get the engine to handle the power you should go with at least a SC block and forged internals... If you're doing that, then you might as well just use the whole engine, supercharger and all.

I don’t think a turbo “kit” is available for the 3.8L MN12 platform, so you are looking at a 100% custom installation. Custom fabrication of this level can be expensive even if you do the engineering and work yourself (unless you have access to a full fabrication shop). When you’re done, you could have done a DOHC engine/transmission swap for considerably less money and have more potential (IMHO, I'm not knocking anyone going the 3.8L/4.2L route ).

Just my .02 and food for thought.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
If it helps, there's a junk yard about 5 miles away from Moberly he can get parts from. So wouldn't be too much trouble there, although I don't think they had a TC last time I was there, but it has been a while.

I'm actually from Macon. Do I know you? Need any help with interior or electronics, let me know. Godspeed, from Cameron, MO, was looking for a hood from a 96/97 Bird/Cougar. You know if they have on at Prather's?

I know a few people with MN12s around. Someone with a red 90 SC and another with an 89-90 Bird. Couple other people too.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:11 AM
PostWhore

If you are going to do a SPI swap, check with Rod, AKA Racecougar and he can help. I got my 3.8 SPI from Greenleaf @ BlueRidge and 23rd St. for under $600. Now, if you run the SPI, you can get a TT kit from one of the MOOstang sites and go from there.

Welcome to the site.

Chris

Soon to have some MHS parts, cams, 'luminum block, lower compression, ported heads, autorotor, and need to make long tubes. I have almost all the stuff and need some #42-50s a bypass valve, and maybe a few other things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in