TMA Turbo - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ainline41
TMA Turbo

wonder if anyone with a split port swap has any experience with one of these
http://www.tmaturbo.com/Home.htm is the websited, sorry if this is a repeat.
if this is legit and good quality then im definately gonna get this once i have the cash, but idk anything about the quality or performance other than stated on the website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 AM
PDL2MDL

i say get the GT35/40 race kit lol
that would be sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjdto07tuk
LX w/ true duals, cutouts
cone filter

Bird is gone replaced by an LS1.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
PostWhore

Those kits are made for Mustangs and will not fit an MN12. If you want a turbo, it will have to be custom made.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

what wont fit about it? the headers?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:06 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

NOTHING about the kit will fit without custom work. Period.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

umm sorry to make u mad or w/e that was, thanks for COMPLETELY answering that question

although sorry if i sound stupid, but i dont really understand y, engines r the same size, with a split port swap u have that aspect of the mustangs engine, which as far as i know is the biggest difference between the two, ive seen posts from guys with split port swaps debating whether to get sc headers, 96 headers, or 99+ mustang headers, so based on that, the headers should be able to fit, intake would be the same after swap, our engine bay has room for the turbo to sit in front, so the only thing that might be a problem is clearance as far as the headers going to the turbo, and the dump pipe, which isnt that big of a deal
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

I wasn't mad. But after nearly 10 years of doing this, we still find people who think Mustang stuff will bolt up. It's rarely the case in anything that's not purely motor-related.

The Mustangs have quite a bit more room under the hood due to their suspension design (MacPherson strut versus our SLA / coilover suspension) The chassis design of the Mustang also puts the K-Member farther forward in relation to the motor than our cars. Add all that together, and you'll find that next to nothing fits the way you expect it to.

Can a turbo be done? Of course it can. With the proper combination of insanity, skill and money, anything can be made to work. We just want you to know that up front.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

i know it would take work but, as long as it bolts up to the engine, then mods can be done to make it fit, so therefore it could work, im know that the cars r different but essentially have the same engines, (in this case after the split port swap), so as long as it would fit the engine, id be willing to work to make it fit the car, as long as i keep it safe
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 01:02 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

The headers...the part you seem most determined to make work....are the number one thing that WON'T work. Our steering shaft and k-member are in the way. Other than that, they'd fit great.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

i knew it wouldnt just be plug and play but like i said before but as long as the mechanicals fit, then things can be changed to make the pipe fit, theres the steering shaft mod that is often done to give room for headers and im not sure what can be done to the k-member, but im willing to bet theres some way to change it or the pipe to get the kit to fit, and also if i did find a way to get it to fit, then i could post what i did, which would open up doors for other 3.8's looking for a power adders and give them another option, of course im going to take my time to research it more and if everything goes right and looks good then i will buy and see what i can do with it

thanks for all the input
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 08:07 PM
PDL2MDL

all i can say is that would be cool if you turboed the V6

cone filter

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 12:20 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainline41
i knew it wouldnt just be plug and play but like i said before but as long as the mechanicals fit, then things can be changed to make the pipe fit, theres the steering shaft mod that is often done to give room for headers and im not sure what can be done to the k-member, but im willing to bet theres some way to change it or the pipe to get the kit to fit, and also if i did find a way to get it to fit, then i could post what i did, which would open up doors for other 3.8's looking for a power adders and give them another option, of course im going to take my time to research it more and if everything goes right and looks good then i will buy and see what i can do with it

thanks for all the input
Sure it can be changed to fit, but about the only part of the kit that won't need to be changed is the flange for the headers. If you want a kit for a v6 MN12 talk to Brian at B&G Custom Turbo Fabrications....he said that he would be interested in making a v6 kit but needed a donor car for fitment.

If your willing to completly rework a kit, it would be easier to just build your own.

David

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Neibert
If your willing to completly rework a kit, it would be easier to just build your own.
I couldn't agree more. Hence why I started with a bunch of U bends, a chop saw and a welder.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:38 PM
PDL2MDL

Quote:
Sure it can be changed to fit, but about the only part of the kit that won't need to be changed is the flange for the headers. If you want a kit for a v6 MN12 talk to Brian at B&G Custom Turbo Fabrications....he said that he would be interested in making a v6 kit but needed a donor car for fitment.
that sounds like a better idea

cone filter

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:

David
i would consider that, but idk, id be afraid of getting screwed like dirtybird91 (frank) did when he sent to his car as a donor car and im not sure what happend but it didnt work out. and supposedly that shop was reliable.

as far as building mine own kit, im not that good at fabricating, so i figured if i had a base kit then i could make changes where needed to it. that way it would already be set up and then if i had to route it around something i would have to cut out that section and weld in a bend instead of putting together a complete kit myself. which yes that would take fabrication, which ill have some help with some experienced ppl but that would be easier than designing my own kit. i wouldnt have to "completely rework" this kit, just change the few sections that have problems with clearance.

but anyway, either way i go its at least a year off, im just trying to get information and ideas of where to go with my car ahead of time so that ill know what to save up for
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:11 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
i wouldnt have to "completely rework" this kit, just change the few sections that have problems with clearance.
I'm trying to tell you that it's not just going to be a matter of changing a few things.....Nothing is likely to fit. These kits are very tight fitting and often require a little sheet metal trimming and notching just to fit on the intended car.

I understand what your trying to do, because I researched doing the same thing on my car. I thought I would just buy a kit for a 94/95 Mustang 5.0 and rework it. Starting with the headers...it wasn't even going to be close to fitting. Key thing that Bill mentioned earlier is the front suspension....there is more width between the strut towers on a mustang than what we have. K-member location and steering shaft are also problems.

David

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

you're going to have to change ALL the pipe routing. Believe me when I tell you this fact. Andy makes every turbo kit specifically designed to be cramped into each mustang engine bay. The mn-12 engine bay is MUCH smaller and differently shaped. Nothing about the piping will fit. The headers will hit the shock towers. I promise you. I have seen pictures of every single turbo kit Andy has sold to the public. BUT Andy makes newly designed kits all the time. If he had a donor car, he could make you a kit in a few months. Why dont you e-mail him and see what he can do? Currently, he is the only company making aftermarket bolt-on turbo kits for the v6 mustang. He does it privately, he's just one man doing what he's good at. But if you're going to buy a mustang kit from him, you might as well just buy all the aprts yourself and weld up all thew tubing, because you'll be redoing it all anyway, with a mustang kit.

I recently read about the race kit installed on a completely stock split-port mustang, at 15 psi it made 450rwhp. NICE!

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

thanks man, i think ill try emailing him and see what he thinks
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Black91SC
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73321

heres my build up of my turbo set-up, read through it and check it out, it wasnt all that expensive, id say about 2000 dollars all said and done after getitng all the misc. odds and ends. the headers i bought from mac, and then i had to buy some header tubing from summit and rework the passenger side completely. and play with the drivers side jst a bit, gets in the way of the mount, but everything is different from the mustang to the thunderbird.

if you have any questions just ask or e-mail me at [email protected] or you can buy my set up for $5000.... my buddies and i can always make up another one
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Hi,
As a board member for a very long time I can assure you B&G is a honest company, how do I know? I own it. lol
You can reasearch our background at www.turbomustangs.com as well as many other places. These guys are correct, a mustang hedder will never fit in the mn chassis v-6 or not. Though I am very familiar with the mn12 as I have a super coupe myself. It just won't work it would take a donor car, and at least one month to work it in to our daily builds.
Thank you,
Brian Horne
B&G CUSTOMTURBO FABRICATIONS
740-686-2897
www.bgturbokits.com
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM

Also why is my post count 1?LOL
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas

I recently read about the race kit installed on a completely stock split-port mustang, at 15 psi it made 450rwhp. NICE!

-Thomas
That would probably be justin00stang's car.

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson502
That would probably be justin00stang's car.
Nope, his is custom, Im talking about the guy with the TMA kit on his red vert with the rollbars. And not _J_ the other guy. The guy in some foreign country right now.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Poster

Smile 4.6L DOHC twin turbos?

hi guys

just tossing around a idea, I have a 94 T-Bird which I just bough (first MN12 car) and the 4.6L SOHC in my car is getting long in the tooth (rest of car is IMMACULATE) so I was thinking of hunting down a Mark 8 parts car for the powertrain. Anyways I have a couple of Garret T3's from the older T-Bird turbocoupe and was wondering if there would be enough room in the engine bay once the DOHC is in there to have a twin turbo set up as well. Does anyone make turbo headers for this swap or will I have to fabricate them on my own?

any info would be helpful

Ron Sircar
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
enough room in the engine bay once the DOHC is in there to have a twin turbo set up as well

thats the funniest thing I've read in awhile. if you want a turbo your going to have to make your own set-up and remote mount it.

heres a pic in this thread of the engine bay after the swap.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ight=dohc+swap
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Poster

Smile 4.6L DOHC twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
thats the funniest thing I've read in awhile. if you want a turbo your going to have to make your own set-up and remote mount it.

heres a pic in this thread of the engine bay after the swap.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ight=dohc+swap
YIKES looks pretty tight in there!!!!!

well guess I will to do a bit of fabricating to make it work, not a big deal, just wanted to know if there was something avail that couls save me a few steps...oh well
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Who is John Galt?

Nope, you'll have to one off everything pretty much (aside from the turbos).

Dave Neibart has a TT 347 (I think, someone correct me if I'm posting misleading info here), but the pushrod V8's are a bit narrower than a mod motor so there is more room to work with.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04
Nope, you'll have to one off everything pretty much (aside from the turbos).

Dave Neibart has a TT 347 (I think, someone correct me if I'm posting misleading info here), but the pushrod V8's are a bit narrower than a mod motor so there is more room to work with.
I've got a single turbo on the passenger side, mainly because it was easier to package and I didn't want to relocate the power distribution box or the battery to make room for twins. Here are a few pictures of how it looks now.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...&postcount=124

David

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Who is John Galt?

I knew someone would correct me if I posted some wrong info. Thanks David.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nazty
hi guys

just tossing around a idea, I have a 94 T-Bird which I just bough (first MN12 car) and the 4.6L SOHC in my car is getting long in the tooth (rest of car is IMMACULATE) so I was thinking of hunting down a Mark 8 parts car for the powertrain. Anyways I have a couple of Garret T3's from the older T-Bird turbocoupe and was wondering if there would be enough room in the engine bay once the DOHC is in there to have a twin turbo set up as well. Does anyone make turbo headers for this swap or will I have to fabricate them on my own?

any info would be helpful

Ron Sircar
Absolutely, there is enough room. FordFanatic doesnt know what he is talking about. Just think creatively, turbos dont have to be mounted in front of the engine. And they ALSO do not have to be remotely mounted. There is plenty of room if you look for it. There is a markviii with a single turbo and it fits just fine. Here are a few ideas I have come up with for your situation.

1. Mount both turbos in the downtubes. You'll need an oil pump for the oil return line, but it works effectively.

2. Get a shorter radiator and push it farther up in the front, below the radiator support. This one is perfect - Griffin - GRI-1-26241-X - Radiator, Universal, Aluminum, Natural, 27.5 in. Wide, 15.5 in. High, 3.0 in. Thick - $189.95

3. remote mount the battery in the trunk and mount both turbos in the fenders. This will also need an oil return pump, but puts them very close to the intercooler and you can route the cold pipes right up in to the engine bay.

-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in