remote turbos... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

remote turbos...

these parts just don't look that difficult to make. and any decent mufler shop guy ahould be able to install the whole thing. it wouldn't even be necsarry to buy this. just the turbos and bovs. the only thing in the engine compartment is what looks like dual cold air intake.

are there any major cons to this type of setup? the website says they're the best thing since sliced bread, but they may be biased. and the sound needs some help. sounds like a jet.

http://www.ststurbo.com/mustang_sound___video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Do a search, it has been covered. Sir William already has one on his car. His is one of the "universal" kits from STS, and he weleded everything together himself. I think his pics are at http://www.turbothunderbird.com/pics.php

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:51 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to V8 SuperCoupe
Mega Piping!

Skip

1993 SC AUTO- 302 Conversion
Lentech clone AOD

1995 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
leet sauce

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Marl Send a message via Yahoo to Marl
The only downside I can think of about the remote turbo setup's is there has got to be some super lagg in getting those spooled up.......

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:25 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl
The only downside I can think of about the remote turbo setup's is there has got to be some super lagg in getting those spooled up.......

Apparently it isnt too bad if setup properly. I've been doing some reading on them lately. But I think the most qualified person to answer that would be Sir Will

math > pasta
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Veteran Poster

at school we had a new gto with an sts kit on it and there was damn near no lag,they just couldnt tune it worth a ****

-Doug
95 T-bird, purple python,i'll drive it again.........someday.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...73&ref=profile
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Veteran Poster

i read that the turbos used in a remote turbo kits has a different ratio of how much exhaust is required to provide boost but they are most 5 to 6 psi in most cases. if any one could sheld some light on this please do i am thinking something up too

93 LX: 89 SC rear sway, Tokico drop kit, JBA headers,ported and polished Edle Brock intake,ported e7's, E303 cam, Cold air intake,75mm TB,03 Lmaf, TwEECed T4M0, smog pump & ac delete, under drive pulleys, msd 6a, 1.7 ratio roller rockers, electric fan, 3.27 trac lok, 5spd, aluminum drive shaft, digital cluster converted to analog and it works!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 PM

I am looking at doing a remote turbo set up, I am going to put a fuel cell in the back of the car and fit a turbo or two where the tank used to go.I checked out 392 birds site with his fuel cell and side exhaust pics and from those I fiqure that there should be enough room .

Pretty nutty idea I guess , but worth a shot.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
not really a nutty idea actually...i thought of the idea of mounting the turbos right where the tank was. I dont have my tank anymore and theres lots of room. The exhaust housings have small AR. s so they can spool quick even with being all the way back there. With proper compressors and turbines you can see high boost like 20 psi just remember you need a strong motor to even break 8 most of the time. The sound is so loud on most of the STS setups because there usually is just a exhaust tip off of the turbine. If you mounted the turbos right where the gas tank was and ran pipes off the turbines thru the IRS you could put 2 strait thru mufflers to quiet the exhaust a little bit! Also you need oil pumps to pump the returning oil back to the sump since they will be below the sump. Gravity can't help them there. One pro of this setup is lower heat levels with the turbos farther away. Heat causes velocity and helps turbos spool. Since the heat is lower at the end of the exhaust the velocity is lower so remote mount turbos rely on small AR.s to spool the turbo as quickly as it can.

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 05:09 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvintpa
Having the air intake for the turbos that close to the rear wheel cannot be good for them!!??

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Marl Send a message via Yahoo to Marl
That's one of the biggest down sides to doing a remote turbo setup. You can't drive it in the wet at all unless you either do some hole cutting into the trunk or do some other type of crazy plumbing.....

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 04:13 PM
5th Gear Poster

I've got a nice t4 sitting in my shop, and I've got some ideas... I've been thinking about running a small oil tank in my trunk with a little transfer pump (I don't want 15 feet of oil line), and running the compressor side pipe up through the trunk so I wouldn't have to worry about water.

1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 266079416 seconds. wtf?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:57 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281
not really a nutty idea actually...i thought of the idea of mounting the turbos right where the tank was. I dont have my tank anymore and theres lots of room. The exhaust housings have small AR. s so they can spool quick even with being all the way back there. With proper compressors and turbines you can see high boost like 20 psi just remember you need a strong motor to even break 8 most of the time. The sound is so loud on most of the STS setups because there usually is just a exhaust tip off of the turbine. If you mounted the turbos right where the gas tank was and ran pipes off the turbines thru the IRS you could put 2 strait thru mufflers to quiet the exhaust a little bit! Also you need oil pumps to pump the returning oil back to the sump since they will be below the sump. Gravity can't help them there. One pro of this setup is lower heat levels with the turbos farther away. Heat causes velocity and helps turbos spool. Since the heat is lower at the end of the exhaust the velocity is lower so remote mount turbos rely on small AR.s to spool the turbo as quickly as it can.
You guys got me thinking now....

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
If only my engine could handle boost
pi heads + stock bottom end + boost = BOOM!

This has made the gears start turning in my head for the quest for more power, and possibly a completely new motor starting with the block.... hi-ho hi-ho its off to ford I go.... to buy a block and build ground up, hi-ho hi-ho hi-ho hi-ho...

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in