new guy to turbos - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

new guy to turbos

i have a general question on turbos. i understand the concept of them and the need for wastegates and BOV's and what not, but my question is, can you use any size turbo for any car? i have been poking in at the set up twin turbo 281 is doing but can u use any size turbo as long as u regulate it for the engine.

meaning can u have say a common civic bolt-on turbo, use just that turbo then pipe it and use other parts needed?

i must be missing something on why not more people run a turbo. everyone seems to want sc's but what if u found a used turbo bought all the wastegates etc got the car tuned and be on your way?

it all seems to mechanical, to set the wastegate and BOV at a certain psi not to blow the turbo or engine.

any info is greatly welcome and appreciated.

Dean

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919
can you use any size turbo for any car?
No, there are different sizes of turbos for different sizes for engine displacements. If you put a big turbo in a small car, it would take alot of time for the turbo to spool, meaning that you wont see any boost build up, hell you might not even spool the turbo enough to make some HP. Understand?!

Quote:
meaning can u have say a common civic bolt-on turbo, use just that turbo then pipe it and use other parts needed?
Again no. You could put a civic turbo, but you might spool the turbo to fast and the efficiancy will not be as good, or you could not spool the turbo at all or the necesary to make some boost.

Quote:
i must be missing something on why not more people run a turbo. everyone seems to want sc's but what if u found a used turbo bought all the wastegates etc got the car tuned and be on your way?
Problem is that people do not have the knowledge or they just do not want to go throught the whole hassle to put a turbo in their cars. Specially with our cars, there is a ver limited to non space in our engine bays to put 1 or 2 turbos. But SW prove many poeple that a turbo could be put in an MN12 without any to non modifications to the car, and then twin turbo 281 whith his twins, but he did a more "drastict" (note the quotes)way to put twins. There will be another surpise soon enough. People tend to go to blowers because it is somewhat "easier" that turbos. Turbocharging a car is not just plug and play like putting a SC. Hence that putting a SC on any car is time comsuming and it requires some knowledge, but it is more time consuming with turbos, more pipes to deal with, more itmes(BOV, gates, etc) that is needed to take into consideration.

Quote:
it all seems to mechanical, to set the wastegate and BOV at a certain psi not to blow the turbo or engine.
Again not that easy. You also need to learn and understand how a turbocharger maps works. Each turbocharger has its own map, so some turbos work for some types of engines and some don't. Imagine if you put a diesel turbo in a civic, you said any turbo, that little engine will not spool enough the big turbo enough, hell I even think that our engine wont spool it enough for it to boost...

Quote:
any info is greatly welcome and appreciated.
Hope that helped. Did you read the sticky I posted?! I need to update it and put more stuff..

Israel

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

that did clear it up thank you very much, and yes i did read the sticky.

i guess a sc is just overall easier power adder.

thank you Israel

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Yeah, sc would be "easier" for our cars. No problem man, if ya ever need anything, let me know..

Israel

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in