So, I was given this turbo... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
So, I was given this turbo...

My cousin told me he would give me this turbo if I thought it would work on my car. I wanted to hear your opinions on whether or not you think it could work for me. It is a Garrett TA34. The compressor side has a A/R .50 with about a 3" inlet and 1.5-2" outlet (this seems a little on the small side to me). The turbine has a dual inlet flange, and has about a 3" outlet. I believe the casting said it had a 1.15 A/R but it's kind of hard to read (this seems kind of large to me).

The turbo itself is actually from a John Deere tractor with a diesel and a displacement between about 450 and 600 CI, or so I am told. I don't really know much about turbos, or forced induction, but I have done some reading over at turbomustangs.com and feel like I have some basic knowledge, but would be uncomfortable with sizing and such. I don't know how to determine the trims and wheel sizes either. I have been searching for info on it, and I think it might be some variant of the T04(E?) but I'm not for certain.

I wouldn't really be looking for something that would be putting out a ton of horsepower. I'd be happy seeing about 6-8 psi of boost and about 350 hp or so (a little more would be nice, but not a necessity) at the crank, considering that I will still have a stock shortblock. From what I have gathered from searching, it seems the larger turbine housing will make the it spool later, and the "smaller" compressor might limit the output. I wouldn't really mind if it started making boost a bit later in the rpm range, say maybe 3000-3200 rpms or so, as long as it did not end up choking the engine at higher rpms.

I'm trying to be realistic as to what my goals could be. If it only made 50 more horsepower, that's still 50 more than I had before. I can weld, and should have plenty of exhaust pipe laying around that I can play with. I think the main expenses would be the BOV, and wastegate, and the intercooler should I choose to use one. I could always upgrade to a different turbo in the future, but for now, I'm just looking for a semi-inexpensive way to add a little more grunt. I think it could be a fun project to put together as well.

I'm not a total newb, and am not asking for someone to hold my hand through this and spoon feed me every answer; mainly for someone to get me pointed in the right direction, and a little advice along the way. I appreciate whatever light you can shed on this for me. I almost forgot, I remember reading in a magazine about someone putting a tractor turbo on a 5.0 stang. Does anyone know what magazine and issue I'm thinking of?

Thanks,
Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
yeah that turbo most likely has a the 1.15 ar on the exhaust side thats a large housing your 281 cubic inches wouldnt spool that sucker to get any real potential out of it. if you decide to do a turbo setup collect all the parts and research research research before you even start to pick up a wrench. If you go turbo you need to consider wether youll go blow thru or draw thru....or speed density stand alone, tuning, fuel system(injectors, FpR, lines, high flow pump, wastegate, intercooler or meth injection, oil lines, and so much more. If you plan to put the turbo under the hood you will need to build custom headers. I built a front mount twin setup but have went with remote mount due to ease of instalation. less headaches, less heat, very little decrease in performance, less cost too...
also if you plan to keep Ac and ps it gets even harder. one easy way if you wanted to front mount a single turbo would be too run a driver side NA header and route the downpipe in the stock location then u turn after the tranny and into a custom made log header the enters at the rear and the outlet at the front with pipe up to the airbox location where you can place a single and still run a down pipe under the passenger side custom header. this way you would have to lose AC but can keep power steering. this is just the start of trouble also be sure to have another dependable ride you need a better turbo than that something along the line of a 60mm

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Last edited by twin turbo 281; 05-08-2007 at 06:57 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Way to big.... Sell it and if you are really considering turbo charging your car, you better start reading and get a smaller turbo.

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in