TCCoA Forums banner

02 3.8L stang engine, in a 93?

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  _95badbird 
#1 ·
Question, will a 2002 mustang 3.8L engine work in a 93 Thunderbird?
I'm just talking about the long block, not the split port.

Also, does $350 sound reasonable for a 38,000 mile 2002 3.8l?

#3 ·
$350 for the shortblock is not a bad deal. $350 for a longblock would be great.
I paid $500 for the whole engine, from catalytic converters to the serpentine belt. This one was an 04 3.9l w/ about 45K on it.
I can't remember if the 93 is a DIS system or not. If it is, and I were you, I would go all the way with the entire motor swap to split port, you will not regret the extra effort.

#4 ·
A 93 will have a distributer unless it is an SC car originally. The distributer from the 93 & intake on the 2002 will have an arguement about who gets to be there.

#7 ·
Not to be a smart ass here, this is a serious question - why would you want to switch to a distributor? any advantages? easier to work on or what?

#6 ·
You can certainly convert the car to DIS to get it out of the way, I/m pretty sure Rod (racecougar) did on his 94. Jco1385 you stayed singleport correct? So your intake manifold is the same as mine, not an interference issue there, the 2002 hangs over that area & wont clear.

#8 · (Edited)
no, engine didnt have the coil packs when i bought it. i already had the dist. it's a money thing. works the same IMO

i also don't know anything about the DIS system. i'm old school when it comes to working on cars. i know you're like "22 years old can't be old school..." my first car was a 78 bird. and my dads cars are all carbed. thats old school to me.

#9 ·
nick, is this for kris's bird? if he can locate a bare 5.0 block, ill sell him all the internals and heads cheap. i even have the intakes and valve covers, too, as well as some other small parts. they are takng up space here. lemme know or have him call me.

#11 ·
yes, this is for Kris' bird.....and he already has another 5.0 block, but just wants to get the car back on the road asap.
Heck, if we were going to go a V8 swap, then he would more than likely put my 4.6 and 4r70w in..

#10 ·
yeah, its $350 for the whole motor....

my question is, will just the long block work?
minus the split port intake, and minus the stang accessories.

Just trying to get the car back on the road, and don't really care about an intake swap right now...

Yeas the 93 has a dizzy in it now....can the 02 3.8L accept a dizzy?

#16 ·
keep the split port intake.

do it right and do the splitport swap since you're already buying the motor.

best,

ghost

#17 ·
I couldn't agree more!
It will take you a little longer, and a lttle more planning, especially with the DIS vs. distributor issues, but it will be worth it.

And if I remember correctly (youll have to check this), the problem isn't with the distributor hitting the intake, I thought it would be the EGR tube and mount, or the water lines from the pump. I really can't say, but there has got to be a reasonable change to make the dizzy work.

#18 ·
The interference issue with a distributor on a 3.8L Splitport is with the EGR valve and the fuel rail. The intake itself clears.

If you're interested in swapping to DIS, a quick search will turn up the wiring diagram that I made up for the swap.

-Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.