TCCoA Forums banner

SCing a Mark VIII

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  racecougar 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my goals and hoepfully y'all can adivse me if it's possible or a pipe dream, sorry for it being so long :cool2:

I'm wanting to get the power of my '94 Mark VIII up to about 400-425 engine hp to make the car a more enjoyable summer vehicle for me.
I've been reading for hours on end here and other forums and not come to a good conclusion in which direction I should go.
My main goal is I want to try doing as much of the work as possible myself to keep costs down (except for tuning, I'll definately leave that to a pro!)
I've beefed up the trans somewhat (not decided on a stall speed yet) and plan on putting a Trac Lok and (?) gears in it. (I could use advice on what to go with these too please.)
I've been looking at the Kenne Bell '96-98 'stang kit, as it would be the easiest I think to install. I wouldn't have to worry about fabbing up pipes, or moving the rad etc for an S trim install with the KB either.
I've heard this KB kit runs hot because of no intercooler and have read posts about people relocationg the IAT sensor to after the compressor and tuning it that way, good idea too?
Will I be able to use the Boost a Pump from the kit and/or will I need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump?

My main worry I guess is the bottom end in this engine. Will it take this hp on a good tune? It has 62k miles, runs strong with good compression even across the board. I will drive it through the summer as a daily driver (I have a beater for the winter) and take it to the track the odd weekend for fun.
As mentioned I just want a more enjoyable car to drive

Thanks for any help,
Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm running the KB 2.1L for 96-98 Cobras on my DOHC XR7. I don't have data on ACT's yet, well, I do, but it isn't conclusive yet.

You'll want to go with a set of 42lb injectors and a 255 LPH fuel pump. You shouldn't need the BAP.

The bottom end is a gamble. Mine spun a rod bearing only a couple hundred miles after installing the blower, at only 4 psi of boost (little over 300 rwhp at the time).

There is a big thread on my install in the Vids/Images forum titled "Winter Mods on the DOHC 90 XR7".

-Rod

#3 ·
I've been reading your threads here and at modularfords.com. You replaced the engine with a built one right? Did the boost have anything to do with the bearing? I want it to be decently reliable so I can cruise up north to visit my brothers or take it to the track maybe a few times a summer...
Jon

#6 ·
Yes, I built up a forged/stroked DOHC which I'm currently breaking in. The boost certainly didn't help matters, but I believe that the bearing was already damaged before the blower install.

-Rod

#4 ·
Whats the use of the BAP if no one seems to use it?

#5 ·
your best bet is to contact don lasorta of lasorta racing. he post here as don 95vert. and if not here he's on all the other boards too. corral, stangnet, modular and a few others. the only kits now available are the 2.1 i believe which is supposed to be kb's most(and only for pushrod) efficient blower. but you have the 4.6. too bad kb doesnt care about the 96-98 models cause there's no intercooler available for that kit. anyhow with good compression you should be able to see the 350-380hp mark at about 8lbs or more. theres a good deal of guys over at the corral and svtperformance sites who have gone thru the kb and may have alil more insite than what i give. but again don is the man. as for gears personally in my kb setup im running 3:55's and may still jump back down to 3:27's. on stock tires i would blow them out easily with the blip of the throttle. less gear better traction for me. im running a 2800 stall now, but will most likely bring it down to enjoy more of my powerband where kb's like to come on strong at. also before you contact don find out if you have a returnless fuell system or not, he may ask that. theres a few members on lincolnsvscadillacs who have done the kb and you might get alot of insight from them.

Whats the use of the BAP if no one seems to use it?
im running a boost a pump cause i need all the fuel i can get for my power levels im trying to achieve. kb bap amping up a 255 intank, feeding all new steelbraided fuel lines to aeromotive fuelrails, dumping into 60lb injectors. bap is used by alot of guys to help amp up the fuelpump basically. the other alternative is running a t-rex inline fuelpump as a pusher. which to me is a restriction or holdup. but you can ask don about that too.

anyhow hope this lil info gets you on your way, and come checkout fordvschevy sometime and let us know how things go.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi mark007, it's a return style system on the Mark VIII. I'd post this up on the FvC forum, but most of the guys there are into the VII's like I used to have an only a few with VIII's. I've been reading tons of stuff here, modularfords.com, and will check out some of the others you mentioned, ty.
I'm pretty sure I know the power this KB kit makes typically, but will the engine be reliable with it? I don't want to go overboard with it as I now I'll just destroy the engine, but if I can make a good summer car with a lil bit more power. In the future (probably a couple years) I may look into a built engine, but for now I want to keep it simple and mild on this stock engine, but decently reliable without getting into the costs yet of a new lower end/engine (hence my original question, is this a pipe dream?!)

#8 ·
i dont see it as a pipedream. just need to find out what the breaking point of the 4.6 is. but alot of it is going to depend on driver style and most importantly the tune. as long as you're not doggin' it from day to day from light to light. i dont see why there should a problem with the power goals you want. and the intended purpose either.

#9 · (Edited)
I've been talking with someone with a 1.7L kit for sale. Should I consider this, and leave it as is with the medium sized KB kit, or build the engine first and go with a bigger KB later? I guess I need to decide if I want to stay at the 350-400hp lvl or go bigger and spend 2x+ more?! :(

#11 ·
#12 ·
That isn't as high as I expected it to be. I'm seeing about a 85-90 degree increase in temps at 5 psi on my 5.0L DOHC with the 2.1L KB (after a full 1/4 mile pass), but I'm spinning the blower about 2000 rpm faster than he is spinning his 1.7L @ 6 psi on a stock displacement 4.6L.

-Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.